BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Suddenly pops out of second gear; if at high enough RPM will make a fairly loud bang. Has occurred several times. Has anyone elce had this problem? What kind of damage could this potentially cause?

·
10,856 Posts
When? Under what circumstances?

·
blubb blubb blubb
1,168 Posts
In 6,000 miles, mine has popped out of gear 2 or 3 times. And each time it was just because I didn't push it all the way in to start with. So it was my fault. Maybe that's what's happening to you?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hope it's that....if not...

Hopefully, it is because of not fully engaging the gear. If not, I had a similar problem with other cars in the past where the car makes a loud noise as it pops out of gear.

Ended up being a gearbox problem.

I would just keep an eye out and be a little mindful of shifting for a while. If it happens again....off to the dealer.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

·
Meat Puppet
211 Posts
I've had this happen to me two or three. On all occasions it was during a hard left hand turn, that I upshifted during the turn.

In both cases, as I've powered out of the corner, it's popped out of second and "BANG" revs go up.

Second is a tad nochy, if you don't pull all the way back it tends to catch on the first notch.

I'm now shifting a bit more "spirited" and haven't seen this for months.

·
10,856 Posts
It occurs to me that while I've had it pop out of gear, this has NOT happened since I got my Rob Knob. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts