Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning F15 group.
I just wanted to share a simple procedure/trick to have full time duel exhaust in the F15 X5.
If you're not aware, BMW has incorporated a device on the F15 3.5i (N55 & N20) RH exhaust pipe to limit both exhaust pipes from allowing "free flow" when at idle & above (not sure how far above). They do this on MOST ALL models to limit exhaust noise "when idling or while driving through the neighborhood". They program it to "open" at higher speeds when exhaust noise is not as much of a concern as letting out the heated gases.
They also use this on the V-8's but I think there's (2) of them & I think they are on the LH side.
You can simply go under/crawl the RH rear exhaust/tail pipe & unplug the electrical connector that is located about a foot or so from the rear bumper on the tail pipe or you can also remove the complete device if you want. There's only (3) bolts holding in place. It's P/N 18307620322 if interested. You can look it up on realoem,com if you want to see where it is located.
I personally like the "louder" start up exhaust sound, but that is to each his own. I have left the "Actuator drive, exhaust flap" in place & just unplugged it, using electrical tape to cover the male plug to protect it from water & pushed it back in to the female socket.
Below are a couple pics of the Actuator Drive unit removed from a friends '15 428i, which is the same part as on my '15 X5 3.5ix.
The choice is yours, enjoy or not.:)

Attachments

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,463 Posts
to limit exhaust noise "when idling or while driving through the neighborhood".
Barbara Streisand, that’s not the reason that she read in BMW literature.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did the same thing, but just removed the connection between the actuator drive and the valve, then opened the valve manually. This way the car still thinks it's in control of the valve and you don't have to worry about anything being unplugged.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Well tell us the reason! don't keep us guessing?
I believe it aids in the heating of the catalytic converter by keeping one set of pipes closed, it'll open as RPM reach 3,000.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,463 Posts

·
'17 X1 - Rooster Cruisin'
1,086 Posts
If you do go this route, you're going to need to secure this flap in the open position or it can rattle and/or drift back to the closed position. I loosened the three mounting bolts just enough to remove the connecting spring clip, then used a piece of stiff wire across the valves slotted shaft to secure it in the open position. This mini-mod does not make the exhaust sound raspy, burble, or drone at highway speeds. Oh, hang onto the circular spring clip after you do this mod; it costs $10 to replace this part should you want to go back to OEM.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
I inadvertently did this mod because the muffler shop removed the flap while my tips were getting powder coated. I actually did not like the sound. Louder but not deep enough for me.

·
'17 X1 - Rooster Cruisin'
1,086 Posts
I actually did not like the sound.
Yeah but your aren't rocking a lame four-banger like me. Two pipe smoke on a chilly morning with matching exhaust soot stains...priceless! :thumbup:
I think I peed just a little when I heard this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B4Wo3jjFrQ
Had a '69 Z28 that would "bark" like this on Sunoco 260 (yeah, I'm that old).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts