BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this kit worth trying? I am having some front end shaking from around 40-60mph. I am assuming if I replace all of these parts it should clear it up. At slow and high speeds, no shakes. Only from 40-60. I have searched, and many people suggest thrust arms and/or control arms. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I apologize if this is a stupid or "noob" question.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E39-520-523-525i-528i-530-Control-Arm-Arms-Tie-Rod_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a0Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem120383464176QQitemZ120383464176QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
that's a new one. I had seen and heard about the FCP groton kits on ebay with ok results. I have never heard of these deutsche parts lol.

I would pass. Nothing is worse than having to do this kind of job twice because you bought parts with weak bushings.

If you want the good stuff, have a look at the link in my signature.

Replacing the thrust and control arms and their bushings alone would likely solve your shaking at speed issue.

·
Registered
520 Posts
i replaced my control arms, thrust arms and tie rods with fcp parts for about 260 shipped. So far its awesome, no shimmy, no random steering, no float. Ive had them for about 5k miles now, well have to see how long they last but I have a 1 year warranty with free replacements so Ill be happy to get a year out of them for 260 bucks.

·
Registered
629 Posts
that's a new one. I had seen and heard about the FCP groton kits on ebay with ok results. I have never heard of these deutsche parts lol.

I would pass. Nothing is worse than having to do this kind of job twice because you bought parts with weak bushings.

If you want the good stuff, have a look at the link in my signature.

Replacing the thrust and control arms and their bushings alone would likely solve your shaking at speed issue.
Listen to Mark. I bought my front end suspension from Vines Auto on Ebay. After 1 year most of the parts began to fail. I was having shimming and noises. I had to replace everything again with Lemfoerder (OE):mad:. I really didn't care about the money for parts but paying double for labor was a killer:bawling:. Of course this is my personal experience and your experience may vary.

·
Registered
854 Posts

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
shipping is a little extra and will vary based on the size of your total order. If you were to order just the pair of arms with HD bushings shipping should be in the 10-20 dollar ballpark. You can find out by adding them to your cart and entering your zip code in the upper right corner.

·
True BMW Enthusiast
174 Posts
shipping is a little extra and will vary based on the size of your total order. If you were to order just the pair of arms with HD bushings shipping should be in the 10-20 dollar ballpark. You can find out by adding them to your cart and entering your zip code in the upper right corner.
Hi Mark,
it would be cool if you could browse your site.. it has so many cool things on it. but unless you know exactly what you want its hard to see what you may want.
im an inpulse shopper (yes my wife hates that).. browsing your site would be easier if pics was out in the open and in catagories..
you have AWSOME stuff btw.. thats why im saying this

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
always glad to get suggestions for the site, thank you. I agree that there is room for improvement. Perhaps we need to set it up so that once you enter your model info the site shows "items you may like" or "other e39 owners bought" sections at the bottom of the pages.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Vines, FCP Groton, Duche parts, etc...whatever...They're all pretty much sourced from the same places and they're all pretty much junk. My UCA arms failed in less than 15K, in my case, labor wasn't an issue since it was free (although the time wasn't :mad:), but for about 4 months I had a clunk in my left front end that I was trying to identify. I replaced the sway bar links and the shock mounts and the clunk didn't go anywhere. The last part that I suspected that would make the clunk was the UCA arms because at the time they were about 10K old (my stock arms lasted about 80K, shimmy but no clunk). Got the car up in the air...sure enough...UCA arms. The ball joint on the D/S was having a party. FCP can keep their 1 year warranty, as far as I'm concerned I'm not replacing junk with junk.

While sub par suspension parts are bad, they won't generally lead to catastrophic failure. For that to happen the arms would literally have to rip apart some how, however I see people using FCP Groton to replace their mechanical parts such as water pumps. I get nervous because these parts will lead to catastrohic failure. They're saving 20 bucks on the price of the part but they are riskinbg their engines in the process.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've used several parts from FCP Groton (Foreign Car Parts Groton, CT). I have not had any problems with the stuff I've gotten from them. The service is outstanding which is why I would continue to buy parts from them. I've purchased parts for my Audi TT, VW R32, Porsche Cayenne, VW Mk1 2.0 16v S/C Rabbit, VW Mk2 GTI VR6, BMW 540i, BMW 525iT. You can always ask them for OEM parts, which is what I do.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Vines, FCP Groton, Duche parts, etc...whatever...They're all pretty much sourced from the same places and they're all pretty much junk. My UCA arms failed in less than 15K, in my case, labor wasn't an issue since it was free (although the time wasn't :mad:), but for about 4 months I had a clunk in my left front end that I was trying to identify. I replaced the sway bar links and the shock mounts and the clunk didn't go anywhere. The last part that I suspected that would make the clunk was the UCA arms because at the time they were about 10K old (my stock arms lasted about 80K, shimmy but no clunk). Got the car up in the air...sure enough...UCA arms. The ball joint on the D/S was having a party. FCP can keep their 1 year warranty, as far as I'm concerned I'm not replacing junk with junk.

While sub par suspension parts are bad, they won't generally lead to catastrophic failure. For that to happen the arms would literally have to rip apart some how, however I see people using FCP Groton to replace their mechanical parts such as water pumps. I get nervous because these parts will lead to catastrohic failure. They're saving 20 bucks on the price of the part but they are riskinbg their engines in the process.
So did you buy the parts from BMW dealer or what? Need to do front suspension overhaul on my 97 528i 141k miles. Also will replace rear shocks. Thinking of using Bilstein sports shocks/struts. Car has sports suspension.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts