Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It leaked...finally. It didnt fit as snug as I wanted it to when I did the VC last month. My son about pooped himself today when smoke came from under the hood....and me too. It leaked down and was burning off the manifold. I ordered a new gasket and a new crankcase cap from amazon and should be an easy replacement. Both parts for $30, not bad. Hopefully this gasket isnt warped like the last one and I wont have to use any "black" on it. Im hoping I can clean it off the head and everything real good so the new one will seat right.

Could be alot worse!!!!!

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
What year / which engine? Did you previously replace the valve cover itself?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
E-82 . I replaced the cover and all the gaskets up top....the 3 plug gaskets, eccentric motor gasket and cover gasket. Its hard to tell but Im pretty sure the oil was leaking from behind that eccentric gasket. When I installed it originally, it didnt want to "seat" right. I had to take it off and put it back on. It was bent ever so slightly in the middle which made it not want to sit as flush as I would have liked. I used some RTV black which made me nervous anyway because if you dont have it on there super consistent and smooth....well, it creates an uneven surface for pressure inside to get at. Im going to take my time tomorrow and clean that area super good and ensure it goes on perfectly. No black crap this time.

I looked down all the plug cylinders and there was no oil in any of them thankfully. Looks like they held fine but there were no issues when I installed those anyway. When I did the VC I cleaned the engine to perfection so that if anything did leak, I would have better chances of seeing it. When I took the vanity cover off, I could see evidence of oil leaking from the cap and that rubber seal around it. I think there is a slight chance the oil was coming from around the cap and running down around the eccentric motor down the engine to the manifold. It may not be leaking behind that eccentric gasket at all. Maybe. Thats why I got the cap too because thats going to be my first "try" before ripping everything apart.

That dang vanity cover now gets me angry because you cant see anything happening when you pop the hood. If it is just the cap, I would have noticed it had that vanity cover not been on. Whatever it is, Im not getting any really bad idle issues from a vacuum leak, no CELs, no major noises or any real symptoms except.....burning oil making smoke! Come to think of it, I did notice the other day my exhaust looking "smoky" but I figured it was just because it had gotten cold and dmap for a day here in FL. And....maybe I did notice a slight "up and down" on the RPMs just at start up the last couple starts. Its going to be more of a PITA to tear it down and smoke test it then just replace the cap and seal and if that doesnt do it, replace the eccentric motor seal and pray to thou BMW God this does the trick. ....and also know, this is easy and no big deal. Sorry for the long winded write up lol!!!!! Typing and thinking outloud through writing sometimes helps put my thoughts together for projects especially when working on multiple totally unrealated projects like I am today. Man, Im all geeked up now and wish I was getting parts today! I want to tackle this! Christmas at 45 years old is now March 1st I guess. One more thing. Im looking out in the driveway and its been sitting since yesterday at about 3. Not a drop of oil on the ground. That makes me feel better too.....means the leak is probably all "up high" where the fix is sooooooo much easier for weekend warriors like myself.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
82 83, just got the number mixed up. Not a coupe. Too many things happening involving numbers here today. E82 does not signify the 2007 3.0 si engine? BMW loves to confuse me. I thought n-52 was the designation for engines 2006 and before. I don't know. Maybe that's my problem, I've been installing series 1 coupe parts lol. I know I put in my model year and engine size to search for parts and I must be getting lucky not paying close attention. I know in a lot of the videos I watch there are differences in the engines I have to be careful with. For example, the DISA valve was a part that almost all videos show the disa that's "not" the ones from my engine but it's similar. There was only a few videos showing the engine I had and the disa fix verses the other ( which I thought...obviously wrongly...that it was an "n52" and mine was e82 or whatever)

·
Anti-Hack
4,906 Posts
E82 is the 1 series coupe chassis. E83 is the 2004-2010 X3. E84 is the X1 from ~2011-14. M54 engine’s of both 2.5 and 3.0 size were in the 2004-2006 E83 X3, whereas the LCI E83 2007-10 (even the 2009.9!!) has the N52 3.0si. There were two versions of the N52 3.0 engine, but the X3 only received the more powerful of the two (in the US unlike Canada). There was also the N53 for California market but I don’t know if the X3 ever received it.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
E82 is the 1 series coupe chassis. E83 is the 2004-2010 X3. E84 is the X1 from ~2011-14. M54 engine***8217;s of both 2.5 and 3.0 size were in the 2004-2006 E83 X3, whereas the LCI E83 2007-10 (even the 2009.9!!) has the N52 3.0si. There were two versions of the N52 3.0 engine, but the X3 only received the more powerful of the two (in the US unlike Canada). There was also the N53 for California market but I don***8217;t know if the X3 ever received it.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
So I have the E-83 with N-52 engine.

Im just going to start saying I have a red car.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Non oem gaskets are prone to leaking
Apparently the OEM ones too -- that's why we're replacing them. :p

·
Registered
2,520 Posts

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
The eccentric sensor gasket can be replaced without removing the entire valve cover. I did it last weekend its a 5minute job.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts