Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Nomad
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am really thinking about taking my 2.2 ecotec and rebuilding it then going and buying one of the cheap broken down e30's around here and fitting it on to do and laugh at the two other e30's cause they think they're faster in there 325is' but i want to have a surprise for them a 140hp and 150 lbs/ft toqure engine WOOT!!! I don't know i just have been thinking about it... the only problems i think i face is hooking tranny up and finding one also getting the computer to work and if i can even get the cluster to work in my e30 or will i have to make my own or can i order one for the same car the engine came out of a saturn ion redline. I think besides mounting i know it will fit easily it's around 2/3's of the size of my 2.7 and just think of the possiblities lighter engine(all alluminum) smaller engine, more power, cheaper turbo kit, hgiher power return from the turbo kit and cheaper parts cause it's in the usa and i get a 20% of gm parts from the gm dealer around here. Anyone think that i have a good idea or do you think that it's stupid, i mean be honest, explain your opinion too so i can get input. I really like this idea cause i want to have a e30 with performance you can't really get that much out of the economy type and also there is no 325is' for sell around here for under $1000 so the stroker idea is out the window, does anyone know if the 528i has the i pistons and head and everything i am looking for cause if it does i think i found a engine i can buy and make a stroker out of WOOT out of the same car i get all my other missing parts out of

Well i don't know what kind of car i have been getting it out of all i know is that the parts i have needed the guy told me they work on both i and e i will call him up tomorrow and ask if it's an i or an e

·
Banned
0 Posts
I would guess that you will need a Sky tranny and components in order to remain RWD.

That hurdle alone makes the project too much of a pain. The reason people do small block chevy swaps is cost.

I see no benefit to this swap.

·
Nomad
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well you have to realize i am willing to sacifice hard confusing frusation and plain stressing out puzzles for money since i already own the ecotec motor i think the only cost would be finding gauges and i think finding a way to keep the tranny both the ecotec and e30 have very simiar tranny hook ups both of them are getrags... I also don't want to do a small block hook up cause of the costliness of fuel injection idk i will talk to my dad he will give me a quote on how much for the small block but also if i do the ecotec i believe it would be the first one done and also have you seen the power gains for little adjustments on these ecotecs they are amazing. I am not looking at the remaining RWD problem cause i know it is possible cause there is more then just the sky that will have rwd ecotec when the new gm cars come out there will be many including the NOMAD haha. I don't know my best friend just bought a 2005 Cobalt with a 2.2L in it and i think it would be fun to have the same engine cause we could experiment twice as much and also we would be the only ecotec tuners out here at least that i know of and i know a lot of people in the tuning scene

·
Banned
0 Posts
well you have to realize i am willing to sacifice hard confusing frusation and plain stressing out puzzles for money since i already own the ecotec motor i think the only cost would be finding gauges and i think finding a way to keep the tranny both the ecotec and e30 have very simiar tranny hook ups both of them are getrags... I also don't want to do a small block hook up cause of the costliness of fuel injection idk i will talk to my dad he will give me a quote on how much for the small block but also if i do the ecotec i believe it would be the first one done and also have you seen the power gains for little adjustments on these ecotecs they are amazing. I am not looking at the remaining RWD problem cause i know it is possible cause there is more then just the sky that will have rwd ecotec when the new gm cars come out there will be many including the NOMAD haha. I don't know my best friend just bought a 2005 Cobalt with a 2.2L in it and i think it would be fun to have the same engine cause we could experiment twice as much and also we would be the only ecotec tuners out here at least that i know of and i know a lot of people in the tuning scene
You've got some research to do. Let us know how it works out.

:eeps:

·
Nomad
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You've got some research to do. Let us know how it works out.

:eeps:
haha i have been researching before i even started this topic it was me researching it that made me want to put it in a e30. The only problem i can find is being able to find a bellhousing that will fit a ecotec that goes to rwd. There is one designed and supposedly being produced but no one can find it. I am trying to find out the part number for it on a solicise or a sky but no luck

·
Registered
673 Posts
I don't see why you'd want to put an american engine in a german car. Not to mention any power gains you get would be very marginal. I'd actually suggest selling the ecotec and getting an m50 or something.

·
Nomad
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't see why you'd want to put an american engine in a german car. Not to mention any power gains you get would be very marginal. I'd actually suggest selling the ecotec and getting an m50 or something.
marginal? you do know that a 2.2 ecotec with a stage 2 kit produces 324hp and 345 lbs/ft of torque?

·
Nomad
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea i don't know the ecotec idea is out the door i think i am going to stick with my orginial idea for it, putting it in a MK I GTi cause my friend has his extra racing tuned tranny that fits on the ecotec surprizingly, but with his gti he can reach up to at least 121mph with his 1.7 with the same tranny if anything i am going to save up and try and find a 325I cause i have an es and i want to have a good transmission not the e cause i heard with performance upgrades they don't perform as good as they could with a I tranny. Has anyone just swapped a i tranny into a e and what were the results> before i even started any of the engine swap ideas i want to save up and get my e30 running right looking good upgrade the suspension then i will find out extactly what i am going to do

·
BMW FETISH!!!
5,405 Posts
marginal? you do know that a 2.2 ecotec with a stage 2 kit produces 324hp and 345 lbs/ft of torque?
Why have horsepower if u got nowhere to gallop it?
Why have horsepower if the chassis, suspention, brakes and all the other crap cant handle it?
why have an american engine in a german car if none of the electronics such as obc and computers/dash wont work and accept it?
I dunno man, its not my car.....

·
Nomad
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok first i know i would have to redo almost everything, second i do have places it gallop i live in utah, home of the salt falts we have three drag strips within 100 miles and we also have the new race track only 80 miles away

·
BMW FETISH!!!
5,405 Posts
i forgot ur in the states. In australia we have nothing.....

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Don't bother in my opinion. And if you are then best of luck with your project, expect to spend a good deal of cash. First time swaps tend to go over budget due to there is no background info on how it's been done.

My suggestion is to get a kit car, tube chassis and add this engine, some from Factory 5. Alot lighter and this would allow you to add a new loom so you don't have to deal with the mess of what wire is what and everything is NEW. That right there helps imensely.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts