BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little late.
First the photo everyone wants to see.
[/URL]******** async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">*********>[/IMG]
2016 981 Cayman (last of the 6 cylinders)
Carmine Red
PDK
PVT
PASM

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Day1

Left Anchorage on Tuesday June14th Condor non-stop to Frankfurt
Pilot took a slight detour and flew over Denali. (Mt McKinley)
A rare treat usually it's shrouded by clouds.

Attachments

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Day 2

Arrived in Frankfurt on the 15th.
After clearing passport control / customs, walked across street to the Fern Bahnhof.
Rode ICE 611 to Mannheim transferred to TGV 9552 to Paris Est.
A short ride on Metro 4 put us a block from our hotel.
Hotel Britannique 20 Avenue Victoria.
We will use this hotel again, friendly staff, great location.
Thanks Trinitony for the tip :thumbup:
Arrived at sunset, after checking in, went for light meal and a short walk.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,006 Posts
A little late.
[/URL]******** async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">*********>[/IMG]
Carmine Red
PDK
PVT
PASM

Congratulation! We need more pics, PLS!!!!

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
A little late.
Carmine Red
PDK
PVT
PASM
Mmmm ... shiny object! :)

Man, what would I have given for one of those "S" license plates! Maybe next time ... Oh, wait, there will be no next time, NA flat 6 is completely gone out of the range of mere mortals. Oh, well ...

Enjoy it!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Day 3

The wife and I are both Monet fans, after crepes, our first stop was the Museum Orsay.
Great collection of impressionist art.
From there we walked down to the Eiffel tower.
Security was intense, temp fences everywhere (the parks around the tower were fenced off), huge police and military presence (always in pairs, mostly carrying submachine guns or battle rifles), multiple check points.
Decided it was not worth the hassle, got some photos of the tower and headed back to the hotel.
*** note; check the weather before leaving hotel in morning. We didn't, if we had, we would have grabbed one of the hotel's loaner umbrellas. Got drowned on the way back.***
After drying off headed out for dinner. Found a nice café accross the street from the Notre Dame cathedral.

Attachments

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mmmm ... shiny object! :)

Man, what would I have given for one of those "S" license plates! Maybe next time ... Oh, wait, there will be no next time, NA flat 6 is completely gone out of the range of mere mortals. Oh, well ...

Enjoy it!
You mean like the 911 GT3 RS (w ceramic brakes) next to ours.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Day 4

Friday the 17th.
Rode the metro line 4 to Gare Montaparnasse and boarded a TGV train to
Noticed a couple of major differences between DB and SNCF.
You can set your watch by DB if they say a train is leaving at 10:02 it's rolling at 10:02 15seconds.
SNCF 10:02 is 10:02ish, never rode a French train that arrived or left on time.
Second, if you buy a ticket on-line with DB for say September all the info INCLUDING platform # will be there. With SNCF they announce the platform # about 5 minutes (maybe 10) before the train leaves. The wife and I are sure that 5 or 6 guys are sitting up in the control room watching the security cameras.....Now? Not yet. Now? Now!.... drinking wine and laughing their a$$es off as 200+ people scramble to catch a train on the opposite end of the station.
***note; lockers in train stations no longer exist***
The plan was to dump our luggage in a locker, head to the track, collect our tickets, and do the pit walk.
That plan did not work, instead we caught the train to Vaas and checked in to our hotel.
***note; if you ever plan on attending the 24 hours of Le Mans, book early, way early. 6 months was not enough ***
***note; if you plan on attending the 24 hours of Le Mans, book a hotel walking distance to the T-1 tram line. The south end is inside the track, a 5 minute walk to the Dunlop bridge.***

·
<- Bailey
7,656 Posts
Since you were close, did you go to Giverny? Did you see the Monets at L'orangerie?

My wife and I love Monet as well.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Since you were close, did you go to Giverny? Did you see the Monets at L'orangerie?

My wife and I love Monet as well.
Only had 1 day in Paris, most of which was spent in the Orsay.
A week + in Paris is on the to-do list.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Day 5

Saturday the 18th. RACE DAY :bigpimp:
A selfie with the Dunlop bridge.
The Dunlop bridge from our seats in the Tertra Rouge grandstands.

Yes it rained, it always rains at Le Mans, the first 40 minutes were under caution.

One of the cool things they did was to play the national anthem of each country that had a driver in the race, took awhile, drivers from all over the world.

With 263,500 spectators be prepared to stand in line for everything. Food, drinks, WCs,......

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
You mean like the 911 GT3 RS (w ceramic brakes) next to ours.
I thought that was a Midwestern 2,500 sqft family home on 2 acres right next to your car. :)

Yeah ... too bad, really. Just when you can start thinking about it ... all gone. Oh, yes, I am sure there might be ED lease deal on one of those turbo 4s or 6s coming in next 10 years (wife is totally blown away with Miami Blue on 718s) but no keepers in there. Just a rental for 24 months which is far from being the same thing.

Let us enjoy them while we can and hopefully in good health, too.

·
<- Bailey
7,656 Posts
Saturday the 18th. RACE DAY :bigpimp:
A selfie with the Dunlop bridge.
The Dunlop bridge from our seats in the Tertra Rouge grandstands.

Yes it rained, it always rains at Le Mans, the first 40 minutes were under caution.

One of the cool things they did was to play the national anthem of each country that had a driver in the race, took awhile, drivers from all over the world.

With 263,500 spectators be prepared to stand in line for everything. Food, drinks, WCs,......
Very nice. :thumbup:

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Day 6

The bad news, only one train between Vaas and Le Mans for the whole day.
So we didn't get to see the finish in person.
The good news, the only bakery in town was open for a few hours Sunday morning as was the little grocery store. Fresh bread, cheese, fruit, chocolate and a bottle of wine = picnic.
Found a nice little park on the river, followed the race action on the I-pad via a My-Fi and enjoyed the French country side.
Sharon made a new friend, amazing what sharing a few bread crumps will do.

Attachments

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Day 7

Travel day.
Left Vaas 8:00 am arrived Stuttgart 7:00 pm.
TGV trains are unbelievable, smooth and fast. The monitor at each end of the car displays speed, I saw 329 kph. :yikes:
Checked into the Althotel am Schlossgarten, great location right across the street from the hauptbahnhof, 1/2 block to Konigstasse.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Thanks for the fun report. Guess I won't be seeing your new ride on the road yet when I am in your neighborhood next week to hopefully bring home some late Reds or early Silvers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts