BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

ED and US Work Visa

1735 Views 7 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  LDV330i
Has anyone done an ED while on a work visa? I have a one year TN work visa that has been renewed for 3 years. I would like to take an ED on a new 325i but wonder if it raises any flags on the way back to the US. Do you have to present any paper work either leaving or entering the US?
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
It shouldn't be a problem. If you can leave the US for a vacation and return legally you should be fine. There's no way for immigration to know what you were doing in Europe unless you tell them. If they ask, just say "vacation".
Make sure you check the visa requirements for your citizenship and entry into Germany.
Make sure your visa is a multiple entry visa. Fortunately as a Canadian passport holder you are not required to apply for visa to enter Germany.

If you plan to import your car into CDN you may want to research the financial liabiliites you may subject yourself to. Do a search on this board on that issue. If I remember correctly there were some Canadians that found it to be a too an expensive proposition.
gsko said:
Has anyone done an ED while on a work visa? I have a one year TN work visa that has been renewed for 3 years. I would like to take an ED on a new 325i but wonder if it raises any flags on the way back to the US. Do you have to present any paper work either leaving or entering the US?
I did it.
I had a H1 visa. Iam from India.

As long as you have valid visa to enter US back, you shud have no problem.
No paperwork nothing needed other than your valid visa.
gsko said:
If you have a TN visa, I am assuming you got this stamped on your passport.

If that is the case, you should be able to go in and out of the country without a problem. I see no reason for you to hesitate. You do not need any other paperwork either.
Thanks for the replies. The passport/entry requirements are not the problem. I know legally I am entitled to do it but the custom agents can be real jerks if they are having a bad day. Just like anyone else who's having a bad day. Except they can deny you entry to the country with a simple stamp. I've had nothing but good experiences at the border but I keep hearing horror stories from other people getting stranded in foreign countries.

My TN Visa is a temporary VISA that is approved on a year to year basis with unlimited approvals. I've had it for 3 years now. But if they see me coming back from Germany after picking up a new car they could question my temporary status. I'm probably just being paranoid but I'd rather be safe than sorry. So I would just rather pass this off as a trip to Europe rather than an ED if I don't have any paper work I need to have processed.
Don't feel like you are going to be lying to immigration. You will only be asked to classify your trip as business or tourism. Nobody will ask you to explain what exactly you were doing in Europe. be it picking up your new BMW, visiting your long lost cousin, attending Prince Charles' wedding, or searching for the holy grail. The immigration officer will more likely ask you trick questions as to what is your profession, where was your visa issued and when, who do you work for, etc. They are more concerned that you are who you claim you are. When I came back form ED I had some explaining to do to the immigration officer but it had to do as to why my mom was trying to enter the US on a tourist visa and my dad was on a green card. :yikes: We all made it through with no problem.

I have a green card and a few years back when coming back from Canada the US immigration office in Toronto detained me (not literally) asking me all kinds of "trick" questions because I do not fit the typical profile of a south american. As soon as I open my mouth I sound like I was raised in Texas. It took her a while to get convinced that in fact the non-US passport I was presenting was truly mine.
gsko said:
Thanks for the replies. The passport/entry requirements are not the problem. I know legally I am entitled to do it but the custom agents can be real jerks if they are having a bad day. Just like anyone else who's having a bad day. Except they can deny you entry to the country with a simple stamp. I've had nothing but good experiences at the border but I keep hearing horror stories from other people getting stranded in foreign countries.

My TN Visa is a temporary VISA that is approved on a year to year basis with unlimited approvals. I've had it for 3 years now. But if they see me coming back from Germany after picking up a new car they could question my temporary status. I'm probably just being paranoid but I'd rather be safe than sorry. So I would just rather pass this off as a trip to Europe rather than an ED if I don't have any paper work I need to have processed.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.