BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello All - This will be my first BMW. I have been a long time Mercedes owner, and it was a tough decision switching over. We spent over 6 hours test driving the S550 twice, and a 750Li twice before I ultimately decided on the 7.

Here is our tentative plan, with hotels each night:

08/25: Depart LA
08/26: Arrive Muncih, Mandarin Oriental Munich
08/27: Pickup Car at BMW Welt, Tour Welt, Mandarin Oriental Munich
08/28: Drive to Zurich, Park Hyatt Zurich
08/29: Drive to Lago di Como, Villa d'Este
08/30: Drive to Milan, Hotel Principe Di Savoia
08/31: Tour Milan, Hotel Principe Di Savoia
09/01: Drive to Monte Carlo, Hôtel de Paris
09/02: Drive to Cannes, InterContinental Carlton Cannes
09/03: Drive to Provence, Four Seasons Resort Provence at Terre Blanche
09/04: Tour Provence, Four Seasons Resort Provence at Terre Blanche
09/05: Drive to Bagnols, Chateau de Bagnols
09/06: Drive to Paris, Four Seasons George V
09/07: Tour Versailles, Four Seasons George V
09/08: Tour Paris, Drop Off Car, Four Seasons George V
09/09: Depart Paris for LA

Our goal was to not have more than a 3.5 hour drive each day so we can take our time and stop wherever we like. Some days have upto 4.5 hours (i.e. Lyon to Paris)

Any comments or recommendations? Also, I just want to confirm that BMW does not cover any transportation from the airport/hotel or one night hotel - like Mercedes ED?

Attachments

·
Freude am Fahren
19,695 Posts
I would cut out Milan as well.

Basically, you should try to use this trip to visit places you wouldn´t fly in and out of, i.e. smaller places one would drive to. That´s why so many people here go, for example, to the Wachau region of Austria. That´s something you absolutely need a car for and everyone here who has gone had a great experience.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would cut out Milan as well.
I'd be fine with nixing Milan, but I don't think my wife would have any of it. She wants either Milan or Barcelona... the latter being too far out of the way.

Since Monte Carlo and Cannes are less than an hour from each other, is one more preferable than the other? I'd rather not have to change hotels and maybe just take a day trip instead.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Lucerne instead of Zurich maybe but otherwise a truly first-class itinerary!
+1 for Lucerne and skip Zurich! 3 hr for Milan (if not for sleep over) is plenty.
Check out my thread. Maybe you can add one more day to your trip

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I’ve stayed in most of hotels on your list and can confirm the great choices, although I'd probably choose Four Seasons in Milan - better restaurant and closer to shopping. I’d also spend more time around Cannes if you like being in the middle of all the excitement, although I hear from people that the new Four Seasons in Provence is a beautiful place, although it’s a bit quiet.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I've stayed in most of hotels on your list and can confirm the great choices, although I'd probably choose Four Seasons in Milan - better restaurant and closer to shopping. I'd also spend more time around Cannes if you like being in the middle of all the excitement, although I hear from people that the new Four Seasons in Provence is a beautiful place, although it's a bit quiet.
:drink: - pyatnica?

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
:drink: - pyatnica?
Yeah, I started early tonight; had a tough week. Amazing how your writing suffers after a few.

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
Personally, packing and unpacking, checking in and out, takes 2 hours at best - with my wife. I'd cut the number of hotels in half, reduce the number of check in and outs, and enjoy more of the cities, rather than more cities.

·
weissbiermeister
1,256 Posts
It's all good, but...what a bunch of fleabag hotels. ;)

Funny you are just coming over from the MBZ side. I have had 5 BMW's (2 M3's on ED) and I just inked a deal today for an E63.
Welcome to Bimmerfest! Most folks on here are pretty cool.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Unless you like gambling I would avoid Monte Carlo. There’s nothing to do there.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Hayden,

I will be picking up my 5er on the same week as you. My plan is to go to lake como and take the train to Milan for a day trip. that might be something you might consider if you don't want to drive into Milan.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Just a suggestion...when we did our trip, we took the approach that we'd have one hotel where we'd stay, and just explore the area. We stayed near Reutte, Austria, and took a lot of trips around. Even took a drive out to Innsbruck. We found it a lot more enjoyable to do it that way, instead of having to continually go to different hotels.

Of course, your trip, do it as you please, you will have a lot of fun!

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Thank you all for the great suggestions. I have removed the 1 night in Cannes and consolidated it into 2 nights in Monte Carlo. Althought the city many not have a lot to offer, I think its a good base to tour the area before we head over to Provence. I have a Frommers book titled "25 Great Drives in France" that shows some really nice drives around the Côte a'Azur (and Provence).

We will be stopping for lunch at the Palace Luzern on the way to Como.

My planned itinerary for the pickup day is as follows:

7:15 am - Depart for Welt
9:00 - Pickup Appointment
11:30 - Tour Factory
2:00 - Lunch at Welt
3:00 - Drive to Berchtesgaden and tour the area.

If we are running early - we may visit the Eagle's Nest (Kehlsteinhaus) - but the last ride up is at 4:15.

Return to Munich in the Evening. I think that is pretty reasonable - and not rushed.

Revised full itinerary:

08/27: Pickup Car at BMW Welt, Tour Welt, Scenic Drive around Berchtesgaden, Mandarin Oriental Munich
09/01: Drive to Monte Carlo, Hôtel Métropole
09/02: Tour Côte d'Azur, Hôtel Métropole

Revised Route

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Thank you all for the great suggestions. I have removed the 1 night in Cannes and consolidated it into 2 nights in Monte Carlo. Althought the city many not have a lot to offer, I think its a good base to tour the area before we head over to Provence. I have a Frommers book titled "25 Great Drives in France" that shows some really nice drives around the Côte a'Azur (and Provence).

We will be stopping for lunch at the Palace Luzern on the way to Como.

My planned itinerary for the pickup day is as follows:

7:15 am - Depart for Welt
9:00 - Pickup Appointment
11:30 - Tour Factory
2:00 - Lunch at Welt
3:00 - Drive to Berchtesgaden and tour the area.

If we are running early - we may visit the Eagle's Nest (Kehlsteinhaus) - but the last ride up is at 4:15.

Return to Munich in the Evening. I think that is pretty reasonable - and not rushed.

Revised full itinerary:

08/27: Pickup Car at BMW Welt, Tour Welt, Scenic Drive around Berchtesgaden, Mandarin Oriental Munich
09/01: Drive to Monte Carlo, Hôtel Métropole
09/02: Tour Côte d'Azur, Hôtel Métropole
----------------------------------------------------------------
Since the budget does not appear to be an issue, I would swap Metropole for Hotel de Paris, and I would find one night to stay at Grand Hôtel du Cap-Ferrat - the best hotel on the Riviera few miles from Monaco towards Nice/Cannes in the most beautifull settings; or at least drive by the area.
At MO in Munich, make sure you dine at the Mark's. In Milan, I prefer 4S, but it's subjective.
Have a great time; the trip looks like a winner!

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Skip Zurich, enjoy Lucern

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would swap Metropole for Hotel de Paris
I was origionally booked at the Hotel de Paris, but I've read it is in need of a renovation - some of the rooms are starting to look worn. They also didn't have the room type I was look for...

Metropole has gotten great reviews and they have already confirmed an upgrade to a De Luxe Junior Suite.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts