Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to go the ED route and am trading in my car, say I go to my dealer today and agree on a price of the car that I am purchasing to be $35,000. Also say the trade-in value of my current car is $10,000. Here are my questions:

1. Will the dealer be able to work around my schedule and give me an exact date that I will be picking up my car at Munich? Lets call that Pickup-Date. I understand that the dealer might take the next 4 or 5 days to provide me the exact Pickup-Date and that's fine

2. For a Boston, MA resident like myself, the Pickup-Date is going to be around 8 weeks from today, is that correct? If so, say it is March-1-2006

3. Assuming I pick-up my car and drop it off the same day i.e.. March-1-2006 in Munich, the car will arrive at my home around April-15-2006, is that correct?

4. Having said the above, I owe the dealer two things: my current car and a check for $25,000(either obtained through financing from credit union/bank or my own cash). Here are the combinations that exist:
(4.1) Provide both these to the dealer 2 weeks prior to Pickup-Date
(4.2) Submit just the check 2 weeks prior to Pickup-Date and hold on to the car till April-15-2006
(4.3) Submit just the check 2 weeks prior to Pickup-Date and surrender the car sometime between Feb-15-2006 and April-15-2006
All these i.e.. (4.1) through (4.3) really depends on your dealer is what the guy tells me

Please let me know if my above timeline estimation is correct. This will help me determine if ED works for me or not

·
Registered
14 Posts
This is what I did for my ED in Boston. (Actually Tulley in NH- who were really good in the whole process).

I went car shopping in August. I decided I wanted the 325I and also wanted to do ED delivery. The dealer told me 2-3 months, but the only vacation I had was during Thanksgiving week- so I booked my pickup date on Nov 23.

The ED facility, if you book well in advance, like I did- should not have any problems in delivering the car to you on your exact date.

I placed a $1K deposit in August and then waited till October, which was when I had to sign all the financial paperwork, etc... basically a month before pick-up- you need to get all your finances in order for the car.
Since I leased the car, I had to begin my monthly payments in October- however, BMW pays for the second month of the lease (in my case, November).

I picked up the car on November 23, drove around for a couple of days and dropped off in Zurich on November 25.

The car was then shipped on December 8th- and arrived on Port on December 22.

I'm expecting to pick up my car from the dealer next week!!! :)

hope that helps in setting your timelines

·
Registered
66 Posts
MIZ325 said:
The car was then shipped on December 8th- and arrived on Port on December 22.

I'm expecting to pick up my car from the dealer next week!!! :)
If your car arrive in port on Dec. 22, as mine did, then I'm assuming yours was on the Elektra.

How do you know that you'll be picking up your car next week? Is there someone that told you that? My dealer (BMW of West Springfield) doesn't know how long it will take, and I don't know of any tracking sites that cover this portion of its journey.

Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
17 Posts
That all sounds about correct. The only "issue" is #4.

When I did mine, my dealer (FM West) only allowed these options:

1) Trade in + BMWFS financing for difference both 2 weeks in advance.
2) Trade in + certified check from personal funds both 2 weeks in advance. Pretty much no bank or credit union will finance a ED car.

I didn't like those options as I needed the car for the 8-10 weeks it was going to take to get here. Thus, the dealer also offerred:
3) BMWFS financing for the ENTIRE purchase price (minus down payment) no tradein. Then, when car is delivered to the US, they would give me a check for the value of the trade in. I could then do what I wanted with the check (apply to the loan, pay off something else, etc...)

Basically, the ENTIRE purchase price needs to be covered 2 weeks in advance one way or another.

What I actually ended up doing was #3, but before my car was delivered stateside, I managed to sell the car privately for more than the dealer was going to buy it for. The buyer agreed to buy it/take delivery from me when my car came in. It worked out great. If I hadn't managed to sell it, no big deal, the dealer would have bought it. Very low stress.

After the car came to the US, I refinanced it with my bank to lower the rate (BMWFS sucks). It's kind of a hasle, but ED is definitely worth it.

Enjoy!
Dan

·
Freude am Fahren
19,687 Posts
DeathMetal said:
I want to go the ED route and am trading in my car, say I go to my dealer today and agree on a price of the car that I am purchasing to be $35,000. Also say the trade-in value of my current car is $10,000. Here are my questions:

1. Will the dealer be able to work around my schedule and give me an exact date that I will be picking up my car at Munich? Lets call that Pickup-Date. I understand that the dealer might take the next 4 or 5 days to provide me the exact Pickup-Date and that's fine

2. For a Boston, MA resident like myself, the Pickup-Date is going to be around 8 weeks from today, is that correct? If so, say it is March-1-2006

3. Assuming I pick-up my car and drop it off the same day i.e.. March-1-2006 in Munich, the car will arrive at my home around April-15-2006, is that correct?

4. Having said the above, I owe the dealer two things: my current car and a check for $25,000(either obtained through financing from credit union/bank or my own cash). Here are the combinations that exist:
(4.1) Provide both these to the dealer 2 weeks prior to Pickup-Date
(4.2) Submit just the check 2 weeks prior to Pickup-Date and hold on to the car till April-15-2006
(4.3) Submit just the check 2 weeks prior to Pickup-Date and surrender the car sometime between Feb-15-2006 and April-15-2006
All these i.e.. (4.1) through (4.3) really depends on your dealer is what the guy tells me

Please let me know if my above timeline estimation is correct. This will help me determine if ED works for me or not
Not sure what the fact that you are a Boston resident has to do with 8 weeks so please clarify.

Otherwise, to answer your question, the car needs to be fully funded 30 days prior to delivery in Freimann. If you are paying for the car in part with a trade-in, that would mean that the trade-in is turned over 30 days prior to delivery.

The above is based on your indication that you are either paying cash or using your own bank. Of course, whether your bank will finance the car is another story but I digress.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,687 Posts
dkulp said:
That all sounds about correct. The only "issue" is #4.

When I did mine, my dealer (FM West) only allowed these options:

1) Trade in + BMWFS financing for difference both 2 weeks in advance.
2) Trade in + certified check from personal funds both 2 weeks in advance. Pretty much no bank or credit union will finance a ED car.

I didn't like those options as I needed the car for the 8-10 weeks it was going to take to get here. Thus, the dealer also offerred:
3) BMWFS financing for the ENTIRE purchase price (minus down payment) no tradein. Then, when car is delivered to the US, they would give me a check for the value of the trade in. I could then do what I wanted with the check (apply to the loan, pay off something else, etc...)

Basically, the ENTIRE purchase price needs to be covered 2 weeks in advance one way or another.

What I actually ended up doing was #3, but before my car was delivered stateside, I managed to sell the car privately for more than the dealer was going to buy it for. The buyer agreed to buy it/take delivery from me when my car came in. It worked out great. If I hadn't managed to sell it, no big deal, the dealer would have bought it. Very low stress.

After the car came to the US, I refinanced it with my bank to lower the rate (BMWFS sucks). It's kind of a hasle, but ED is definitely worth it.

Enjoy!
Dan
I think it's only two weeks using BMW FS. The OP indicated he is using his bank or paying cash so that would be 30 days as far as I know.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Nice to see another Bostonian....dont expect your pick-up date to be 8 weeks, it could take longer, same applies for redelivery.

·
Registered
348 Posts
In my case, I was told by my dealer, that I had to sign all of the BMWFS paperwork 30 days in advance. The reason given was that BMW will not build the car until they have that paper work in-hand.

As for the options in financing, my experience also was that only BMWFS would finance the car 30days in advance.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,687 Posts
Jp_Austin said:
In my case, I was told by my dealer, that I had to sign all of the BMWFS paperwork 30 days in advance. The reason given was that BMW will not build the car until they have that paper work in-hand.

As for the options in financing, my experience also was that only BMWFS would finance the car 30days in advance.
They gave you misinformation. I signed the paperwork and the deal was funded 15 days prior to delivery. My car had been built 2 weeks prior.

For BMW FS, 14 days prior is the requirement. It hasn't been 30 days for over a year or two.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Jp_Austin said:

Maybe your SA or the dealership needed to book another sale by a certain date?? Perhaps they were trying to win a trip to Maui compliments of BMWNA. :)

·
Registered
348 Posts
May have to do with the way I optioned the car out. Doesn't really matter, just giving information, not silly comments.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Jp_Austin said:
May have to do with the way I optioned the car out. Doesn't really matter, just giving information, not silly comments.
Nothing silly about it. The policy is 14 days, not 30. There must be a reason why your deal is different from everyone else's.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For an ED order do you thing the following would be a good offer for desired out-the-door price:

Invoice + [email protected] + Title&Registration + Sales Tax + Dealer Profit

where:
* Title&Registration: Dont know how much but again, this should be the same for all Boston area dealers, isn't it?
* Sales Tax: 5% (MA, I pay tax on [email protected] only, I don't have to pay tax on Title&Registration, correct?)
* Dealer Profit: $500 to $1,000

With ED, the question of MACO or Training Fee would not arise? Appreciate your advice/corrections

1 - 13 of 13 Posts