BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All:

I wan't to do an ED but am concerned about the break in period restrictions. What really should be done during a break in period, for how many miles and will I still be able to open it up on the audobon? I will only be over there for 4 days.

Has anyone else considered the same dilemma?

·
Registered
66 Posts
You probably won't be on an Autobahn the entire time--we certainly weren't, and found that traffic varied sufficiently (it was May) that we were rarely driving at constant speed. Even Autobahns are often crowded enough that youre speed will vary, and where they are traffic free you can vary your speed with no fears of bothering anyone in the fast lane. We were warned for 2,000k to follow the speed variation and 4,000 rpm rules (the latter is about 104 in an E64), so weren't too badly constrained. ED is an experience of a lifetime, so go for it. After all, the NEXT time you pick up a new BMW you can plan to stay longer!

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
You know you have two of the same posts going?

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I beleive ED break in proper procedure is get her on the autobahn and see how fast it will go (only for ED cars though, the rest have to be broken in by the manual)

·
ANDY is always with me
1,888 Posts
The lady who processed our ED in Munich told me not to go over 120mph or over 4500rpm's on the Autobahn. Otherwise, drive like you normally would in traffic. Have a great time. :thumbup:

·
Registered
713 Posts
I beleive ED break in proper procedure is get her on the autobahn and see how fast it will go (only for ED cars though, the rest have to be broken in by the manual)
+1!

Drive out of Welt, head for the autobahn, open her up!

Actually we waited until day 3. Notice my avatar? 151MPH at 5900RPM with 495 on the odometer. We did do 130MPH with 55 miles on the odometer. Due to traffic you won't be at those speeds long anyway. It's not going to hurt anything. Just ask the guys at Welt. Biggest thing is to vary the speed and avoid full throttle acceleration. We did our top end runs very gradually at about 3/4 throttle during the acceleration.

·
False Enthusiast
1,669 Posts
Personally, I would watch rpm and throttle opening more than speed.

That said, if I have the chance to go 150 mph legally, and safely...

:thumbup:

jummo

·
Registered
107 Posts
when i was at the factory i asked our tour guide about this.
he said that the 6 cylinder engines are ok for full throttle
maximum rpms right out of the Welt.. but not the M cars..

he did not elaborate further. i asked again to make sure
i did not misunderstand him and he confirmed that again.

not sure how much value this information is worth... i
took it easy anyway and got to about 120 with 100 miles
on the clock.. this is about 4500 rpms.

one thing though, a brand new 328xi is pretty sluggish
compared to the legions of TDIs blowing past... i loved
the drivers there... outstanding manners and courtesy...
seattle drivers are complete barbarians in comparison.

·
Registered
311 Posts
... will I still be able to open it up on the audobon?
"Audobon" (actually spelled "Audubon") was a guy who painted pictures of birds. The Autobahn is a system of controlled-access highways (the full name in Germany is Bundesautobahn).

That said, I have been pondering the same question about break-in for a 335xi on ED. Some people say vary RPMs (no cruise control), others say keep it below xxxx RPM, others say the RPM doesn't matter as long as you keep it below yyyy MPH. I believe that even the BMW-sanctioned owners' manual has something to say about what you should do (you'd probably want to read that).

Basically, use your own judgment. Your car will be like a baby so don't:
- shake it
- scream at it
- feed it unhealthy food
- throw it into the wall
- and definitely don't "give it the gas" if you're tempted to go all out on the Autobahn.

·
Registered
173 Posts
We did do 130MPH with 55 miles on the odometer. Due to traffic you won't be at those speeds long anyway.
+1

For me, it wasn't just the traffic - for the first couple of hours, even though I knew that the circle with slashes meant no-limit on the Autobahn, my foot kept coming off the throttle when I'd see an underpass or anywhere a cop could be hiding. :) Force of habit, I guess, from 18 years of driving in the US.

That said, I blew by an Autobahn Polizei car at 120mph without any problems. We did, however, get pulled over twice in two days for a "papers" check - just remember, if a cop car (or unmarked car, in our first stop) pulls up in front of you and his lights come on, "Bitte Folgen" means "Please follow". Unmarked cars will also display a "Polizei" in the rear window.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts