BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Color blind photographer
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did ED for my 02 330Ci and will do another this September. For my first ED it included 30 days of insurance. The BMWUSA site for ED now shows:

European Delivery price includes:
* 14 days of free premium road insurance
* Tourist registration
* Factory preparation
* Inland European transportation from the designated drop-off point
* Marine insurance
* Customs duty and clearance
* U.S. port processing and accessory installation
* Wharfage and handling fees

When did the insurance change to 14 days, and what do you do if you plan to stay longer?

·
Color blind photographer
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
JEM said:
Wasn't it 60 days previously (like in '98 and '00 when we did ours?)
Wow..I think I recognize the name JEM from the toadfly days! :thumbup:

I think it was 30 days in 2000.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
JEM said:
I think both our trips were 16-17 days, so it's not like it would have mattered...
Yes, it was 30 days in 2000. Also, back then if you wanted two months the extra charge was only about $140. Now its $482! :yikes:

·
Registered
261 Posts
what does the insurance cover?I was thinking about getting some travel insurance also. Does the BMW insurance cover theft to items in the car?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
er... try the link in the 2nd post of this thread... :p it's got the prices. Otherwise, what else do you want to know. Its the same full coverage that you get for free for the first 14 days.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I was just currious what was covered. Minor damage to the car? Theft of items in the car? Will the insurance pay for a hotel and transport if the car is damaged or stolen?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Its full coverage for your car. You also get roadside assistance. In 1997 my mirrors were stolen in Paris and I had to overnight it with the car at a local dealership. Roadside paid for a rental car (fiat uno) and a hotel for the night.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
will-san said:
I was just currious what was covered. Minor damage to the car? Theft of items in the car? Will the insurance pay for a hotel and transport if the car is damaged or stolen?
Personal property in the car is not covered. If you have homeowners insurance your personal items are most likely covered under that policy. Check your coverage. On a trip to Spain in 1997 our rental car was vandalized and about $3000 worth of luggage, clothing, cameras was stolen. My insurance co. here paid me on that claim. Get a police report if that happens in Europe. It helps when you come back and file a claim.

The ED program DOES have coverage for towing to a BMW repair facility (up to 154euros)
and DOES cover hotel costs (77euros/day per person not to exceed 256euro/person) There is also coverage for a rental car, train tickets, etc in the event the accident or breakdown or theft. When you pick up your car in Munich they give you a handout with all this info & the phone numbers to call if you get stranded. It's very well thought out and fairly generous.

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
One thing they warn you about when you pick up your car at the delivery center to make sure and keep all the paperwork for the car on your person (treat it like your passport). Life will be much easier on you if you have this paperwork and your car is stolen. BMW will replace the car if stolen but only if you give them the keys. There are other details that go along with this but suffice it to say that you are well covered for 14 days (or longer if you buy more insurance).

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Follow-up question

All:

I assume that insurance will cover my friend, who'll be helping me drive while in Europe too.

Am I correct in assuming?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts