BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time ED'er and excited. Just got my confirmation date and time. Pickup on July 5 and fly back on Juky 10. :rofl:

Saturday
Arrived Munich @ 0950 hrs
Pickup at Welt @ 1120 hrs (is it tight?)
Harms @ 1500 hrs. for drop-off schedule and fill-up paperworks.
Drive to Salzburg using the quickest route (Autobhan)
Any hotel recommendations from 120-150 US$

Sunday
Whole day in Salzburg
?? any place(s) need to see/go

Monday
Drive to Vienna
?? what is the best route to take (sightseeing and romantic road)
?? any places(s) to see/go

Tuesday
Whole day in Vienna
????

Wednesday
Drive back to Munich in the morning
?? Any nice route to take, liesurely driving?
?? Hotel in Munich (one was suggested from another post - Le Meridien)
Drop off the car :cry: @ Harms
Enjoy the last night in Munich

Thurday
Fly back to Dublin ......OH
The start of another long wait

Please add or comment on what to do and go.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,697 Posts
I suspect it may be difficult in July to find a hotel for $150 but perhaps not.

You are dividing your time equally between Salzburg and Vienna. Vienna is a city you can spend weeks in.

I suspect you may be a bit overwhelmed and disappointed if you try this.

Perhaps you should try to visit smaller towns and cities near Vienna, such as Dürnstein and Eisenstadt, instead.

·
Registered
209 Posts
First time ED'er and excited. Just got my confirmation date and time. Pickup on July 5 and fly back on Juky 10. :rofl:

Saturday
Arrived Munich @ 0950 hrs
Pickup at Welt @ 1120 hrs (is it tight?)
Harms @ 1500 hrs. for drop-off schedule and fill-up paperworks.
Drive to Salzburg using the quickest route (Autobhan)

Sunday
Whole day in Salzburg
?? any place(s) need to see/go

Monday
Drive to Vienna
?? what is the best route to take (sightseeing and romantic road)
?? any places(s) to see/go

Tuesday
Whole day in Vienna
????

Wednesday
Drive back to Munich in the morning
?? Any nice route to take, liesurely driving?
?? Hotel in Munich (one was suggested from another post - Le Meridien)
Drop off the car :cry: @ Harms
Enjoy the last night in Munich

Thurday
Fly back to Dublin ......OH
The start of another long wait

Please add or comment on what to do and go.
Well, yes, you are cutting it close. But it is doable if the flights are not delayed.

In Vienna I usually stay at the Country Inn on Wagramerstrasse. It is NOT in downtown Vienna, it is at the VIC (where the UN offices are). Not a charming part of town, but clean, safe and a couple OK restos around. It is right across the street from the U-Bahn, however, so it is very easy to get downtown. There is parking available. The rooms are very large and comfortable (even by US standards). Breakfast is included. It is under $150 a night.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I checked the hotel prices and it looks like I have to increase my hotel budget to around $200.
Do I have to cut a day in Salzburg and add more day in Vienna?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I just came back from ED.. here's what i would do differently next time:

- less ambitious itinerary.. i.e. spend more time at one place rather than
do too many places.. i did modify my plans as the trip unfolded to a less
frenzied pace and enjoyed myself a lot more.

- parking in city garages are scary because they are soooooo tight..
you'll be ok with a smart but a 3 series is pretty large for many of the lots.
next time i would stay at a hotel in the outskirts but close to a subway
station and use the subway to get into town.. save on the hotel,
get nicer cheaper rooms, easier parking etc.... i met a really nice
american couple doing ED.. their brand new 335c got scarred in
a tight parking lot. my own car hit the wall on the front bumper
while attempting an exit... fortunately no damage to the paint.

- don't place 100% trust in the GPS.. it is still a must have but
i found out the hard way that it would have been a good idea to
study and verify the route the day before...

- some cities (e.g. vienna, munich) have horrendous traffic jams.. more
reason to get a hotel at the outskirts of town and just commute by subway.

- if you're just planning to hit the big cities, another alternative to consider
is to just pick up the car at the welt, drive it over to harms for dropoff/shipment
and then proceed to do the vacation by train/plane/bus...

·
Freude am Fahren
19,697 Posts
I checked the hotel prices and it looks like I have to increase my hotel budget to around $200.
Do I have to cut a day in Salzburg and add more day in Vienna?
Did you read my post? Unless you skip Salzburg completely you won´t really have enough time to even scratch the surface.

Hence - repeating what I posted above - you visit smaller towns and cities in Austria such as Dürnstein and Eisenstadt and save Vienna for a trip when you don´t have a car.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
J is--of course--correct.

For those who have not been paying attention, this Summer in Austria will be more expensive than usual. First, Austria and Switzerland are the home countries for Euro cup 2008 (soccer) in June, and many hotels in major cities, in all price ranges, are already sold out. Then comes the July-August "high season" with the dollar at all-time lows. So...plan ahead, consider smaller cities & towns, and bring lots of money.

Finally, if you must see it, I suggest one-half day at the most in Salzburg, and then tour and stay in a small city along the Danube, or in the mountains, or in the Burgenland, and finally at stay least a couple of days in Vienna.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Have you tried Priceline bidding? We were quite pleased with the Priceline provided Marriott in Salzburg and got it for under U.S. one hundred dollars last summer in early July. It also has decent underground parking. It is located close to the train station but you will end up taking a bus to get to the old town area. There is a decent mini mall across the street with laundry facilities and a good food market as well as a pastry shop among its offereings. Vienna too has a Priceline offered Marriott but we followed JSpira's advice to forego Vienna for Melk and Durnstein on the Danube. Again, a hotel in your desired price range was obtained through tripadvisor.com which was just in the shadows of the Stift Melk Monastary. Zum Post was the name as I recall with an excellent buffet breakfast included.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the advice. I am thinking of getting a nice hotel (Hirsch @$227) in the center of Salzburg where there is a secured parking garage. I will just leave my car the whole day while we tour the city. Maybe take those day tours. Regarding the Vienna trip, I will make some changes as adviced by JSpira and Northcar. What we are looking for are nice views and just a little bit of city. 75% of breathtaking scenaries and 25% city life. Man this planning is taking a lot of time specially for me that I don't know whet to expect. My initial budget was a little bit low so I have to increase my budget a lot.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I highly recommend Le Meridien in Munich. Especially if you have Starwood points to use (or a combo of Starwood and cash, in dollars) that can save some of your budget for other things.

·
Skjoni's Dad
1,733 Posts
Did you consider Berchtesgaden instead of Salzburg? I was originally going to do Salzburg but after comparing parking/hotels/general crowds/tourists I opted for Berchtesgaden instead. Just a thought.

·
CarSwami
806 Posts
Did you consider Berchtesgaden instead of Salzburg? I was originally going to do Salzburg but after comparing parking/hotels/general crowds/tourists I opted for Berchtesgaden instead. Just a thought.
I agree that you should take a look at staying in Berchtesgaden instead of Salzburg.

I was able to get the Renaissance hotel in Vienna for a great price last year during my ED. It was a so-so hotel, but it was located near a train station which made it easy to go into Vienna, and there were plenty of restaurants (i.e., bars!) nearby. Plus, it had secured underground parking where I left my BMW for all three days that we stayed in Vienna.

I agree with Jonathan that there is lots more to do in Vienna than in Salzburg.

·
Not a Bimmer driver anymo
1,732 Posts
I highly recommend Le Meridien in Munich. Especially if you have Starwood points to use (or a combo of Starwood and cash, in dollars) that can save some of your budget for other things.
I only spent one night here before my Welt pickup, and it is a very nice place. Taxi from there to the Welt was 17 euro including the 2euro for luggage fees, but this was in a minivan, I don't know if the rates are different than the sedans.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Have you tried Priceline bidding? We were quite pleased with the Priceline provided Marriott in Salzburg and got it for under U.S. one hundred dollars last summer in early July. It also has decent underground parking. It is located close to the train station but you will end up taking a bus to get to the old town area. There is a decent mini mall across the street with laundry facilities and a good food market as well as a pastry shop among its offereings. Vienna too has a Priceline offered Marriott but we followed JSpira's advice to forego Vienna for Melk and Durnstein on the Danube. Again, a hotel in your desired price range was obtained through tripadvisor.com which was just in the shadows of the Stift Melk Monastary. Zum Post was the name as I recall with an excellent buffet breakfast included.
Here is the link to my post regarding the hotel in Melk, Austria (among others) as referenced in myquoted response above.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260982&page=2

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have to. It is the one thing that my wife wants to see including Vienna. If it is just for me, I will go to the Ring, Black Forest and down south of Germany. I got the car she got the place to decide. :angel:

I did some searching from past ED post and I got this one:
Salzburg: Marionette Theater is awesome! Check show timings beforehand on the web. Sound of Music tour is touristy but the little anecdotes told by the guide made it fun. Salt Mines are a must-visit! Stayed at a very beautiful castle-hotel.

From Salzburg, swing down through Bad Ischl, Hallstatt and pick up the highway to
Vienna north of Gmunden. Beautiful lakes region with an ice cave and salt mine in Hallstatt. Get off again in Melk and check out the abbey, then cross the
Danube and drive through the Wachau wine region (good white, Gruner Veltliner) on the
secondary road through Weisenkirchen, Durnstein (Richard III was held for ransome in the
castle here, now in ruin but still visible). Fantastic river views. Then head south from Krems and pick up the highway again into Vienna from the west. Also, if you're into wine,
about 45 min. south of Vienna are a couple of quaint little towns (Baden, Soos) with
heurigen that serve excelent local wines (red, Blauer Zweigelt, St. Laurent)).

9. Vienna: Prater Park is overrated. A city tour was informative & enjoyable. overall a beautiful city. Relaxed in a cafe along the Danube, watching the boats go by. We enjoyed seeing the Hofburg Palace, especially the Spanish Riding School. We wanted to visit the Circus & Clown museum and the dolls museum but both are closed
10. Drive along the Danube: Picturesque drive along the river with Vineyards on the opposite side. Durnstein & Krems are on the way. The old town has such narrow streets, I had to fold my mirrors to pass between buildings. Luckily no one else was foolish enough to drive here so there was no vehicle from the opposite direction. Quaint place, though.
11. Turned off halfway along the Danube road and took a narrow mountain road to Passau, bypassing Linz altogether. If you want to enjoy this, don't listen to the GPS, but do use it to look for twisting, winding roads. Passed through some of the most beautiful villages.
12. The approach to Passau from Austrian side is awesome. We stayed on the tip of the island. Another picturesque place.
13. Back to Munich - Got a chance to open the throttle on the way from Passau to Munich. ED drop-off. If you love soccer, do see the Allianz Arena in Munich- they have guided tours also. A city tour, walking along the pedestrian zones in Munich center, a walk down Leopoldstrasse & dinner at a cafe, a walk through Englischer Garten and a visit to Biergarten rounded off the trip nicely. Obletter toy store on Karlsplatz is also fascinating for kids - and even for grown ups.

I was not able to get the original poster but whoever you are thanks. It looks like a nice route. What do you think?

Thanks to all and I will take all suggestions into considerations. :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Just a thought on Salzburg -- we drove there from the Welt in April, and stayed at the Goldener Hirsch for 2 nites -- and barely scratched the surface of this charming city!

We are going again in September for a second ED - the wife (SWMBO) loved the Welt so much that she wanted her own delivery! So, OK, that works for me!

In any case, we are planning to stay 3 nights this time at the Hirsch -- last time she missed some of the sights in favor of shopping (not OK with me!). Perhaps that will give us some time to explore the outskirts this trip, but I must say that there is plenty to see andd do in Salzburg proper... definitely not a half-day place IMHO!

Any thoughts for a day trip nearby?

BTW, I parked in the garage dug into the moiuntain near the Hirsch -- not too pricey, and definitely an easy walk to the hotel or other parts of the "Old Town!"

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just a thought on Salzburg -- we drove there from the Welt in April, and stayed at the Goldener Hirsch for 2 nites -- and barely scratched the surface of this charming city!

We are going again in September for a second ED - the wife (SWMBO) loved the Welt so much that she wanted her own delivery! So, OK, that works for me!

In any case, we are planning to stay 3 nights this time at the Hirsch -- last time she missed some of the sights in favor of shopping (not OK with me!). Perhaps that will give us some time to explore the outskirts this trip, but I must say that there is plenty to see andd do in Salzburg proper... definitely not a half-day place IMHO!

Any thoughts for a day trip nearby?

BTW, I parked in the garage dug into the moiuntain near the Hirsch -- not too pricey, and definitely an easy walk to the hotel or other parts of the "Old Town!"
Thanks for the info. If your wife wanted to do her own ED, we just have to abide with their decision. :D.
We decided that we will stay in Salzburg for 2 nights and stay at the Hirsch. Does it mean that there is no parking space for Hirsch guest? Did you just leave your car in the garage and bought the 72 hrs. pass? I chose the car, she chose the place and I will choose what not to do (no shopping). 2 days around the city and just drives along the outskirt going to Vienna. I know that it will be a short stay at both places but at least we will try a little bit of what Salzburg/Vienna has to offer. Maybe next time we will take a couple of weeks instead of just 5 days. What sites did you go to and what sites will you recommend? Did you try those day tour? Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Good decision -- you (she) will love the hotel!

As far as parking, they will valet the car for you if you prefer, but I didn't want ayone else's grubby mitts on it ;). Note that the car entry is by their restaurant, not on the narrow old town street which is the official front door. It's easy to find, straight ahead out of the tunnel (or as I mentioned, park in the garage just before the tunnel on the right, and take the pedestrian exit from the garage on the old town side). We actually left the luggage with the waiting staff, and drove the car back to the garage, but I think trailing the suitcase from the garage would be no issue. The garage itself is a feat of engineering that is reminiscent of some NORAD command center...

After that, all of Salzburg is pretty much within walking distance. Lot's to explore, and we covered most of the Sound of Music sights with my daughter by foot. No tours required. Nonnberg Abbey, Mirabell Gardens, etc. Rent the movie first :thumbup:. Bring a CD of the soundtrack. :thumbup: Buy a dirndl for the wife, or make one out of the curtains in your room!

Other notable sights: Major league churches at every turn - go in! Hotel Sacher for coffee & tortes after dinner (across the bridge - beautiful at night). Oh, and my favorite was taking the funicular up the side of the mountain to the castle -- not to be missed. They have concerts there in the evening which she shopped her way thru, but this time for certain!

It's a town that feels a bit like Bellagio or Venice (well, sort of) -- straying is rewarded!

Oh yes, and Mozart's birth place is just down the street...a bit touristy but worth it if for nothing else than to see the doll that represents the baby Amadeus. I won't spoil the surprise!

Concerts & restaurants abound. You'll love it. :bigpimp:

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks a lot. I really appreciate all those tips you mentioned. I will now include (cut and paste) all those places you mentioned in my itenerary. What movie are you talking about? Is it the Sound of Music?

What about Vienna? Please sir, may I have some more.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts