BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Have anyone done ED during december??
Is it a great ideal doing it during winter?
I want to drive to England, and wondering the road condition to there

Thank you guys...need some suggestions:)

·
Happily Driving
7,160 Posts
Europe is great in Winter, but the driving will be difficult if you want to go through the mountains. Also, we've been through this again and again on this forum, but make sure your car does not come with summer tires if you want to drive around in the snow....

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
That's an awesome time to do it

It will be the Christmas season, and the whole of Europe will be in a festive mood. Other than with family, I can't imagine anywhere else I'd rather be at Christmas than in Europe.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Agree

chrischeung said:
It will be the Christmas season, and the whole of Europe will be in a festive mood. Other than with family, I can't imagine anywhere else I'd rather be at Christmas than in Europe.
I second this, I was in germany a few years back in december and it is just a great experience. Xmas markets, drinking gluwein, bratwurst/brochen, etc.
Depending on the area you are going will probably dictate how much snow you will see. I was mostly in the stuttgart area and it was just cold not really much snow. Kind of what I see in the midwest, 1-4 inches. I would be a little nervous driving on the small country roads but I can't imagine the autobahns being that bad.
Driving in england can be tricky in the winter b/c of the black ice, especially in the night-time and early mornings.
People in germany have been driving rear wheel drive bimmers for decades and it looks like they make it just fine.....

·
Freude am Fahren
19,696 Posts
Eurobmw06 said:
People in germany have been driving rear wheel drive bimmers for decades and it looks like they make it just fine.....
Yes, of course, with winter tires.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,696 Posts
ecgtplayer said:
Hi,
Have anyone done ED during december??
Is it a great ideal doing it during winter?
I want to drive to England, and wondering the road condition to there

Thank you guys...need some suggestions:)
Last winter it started snowing on or about 19. November in Central Europe.

It stopped in early April.

If you go, you will need to play things by ear (as long as you haven't ordered summer tires on the car), i.e. you get there and you see how the weather is and will be - and then you plan accordingly. If you get a car with xDrive and all season tires you'll probably be ok unless there is moderate to heavy snow.

·
Registered
143 Posts
December delivery

I have asked for an 18 Dec delivery. From the earlier posts it looks like it will be fun. One thing we are finding is that, except for portions of big cities, Germany shuts down from 24-26 Dec. We will be in a home so that will be fine with us.

Also on these tires. My CA said that the car (3215 XIT Sports Wagon) comes with "all season tires". I have been told that the summer tires are the favorite German speeding tire for non-winter driving. The typical German then switches to "winter" tires for the cold season. "All Season" are supposed to be OK for the winter conditions but not as good as winter. I am not sure if we have an option for winter tires. I think I read that you have to go to a tire dealer to do that and then you get into shipping issues and its a mess. But I may not know what I am talking about.

I am going with the supplied all season and I will drive carefully. :)

·
Freude am Fahren
19,696 Posts
bobkeenan said:
Also on these tires. My CA said that the car (3215 XIT Sports Wagon) comes with "all season tires". I have been told that the summer tires are the favorite German speeding tire for non-winter driving. The typical German then switches to "winter" tires for the cold season. "All Season" are supposed to be OK for the winter conditions but not as good as winter. I am not sure if we have an option for winter tires. I think I read that you have to go to a tire dealer to do that and then you get into shipping issues and its a mess. But I may not know what I am talking about.
No Bob you hit the nail on the head. All seasons are ok for a good part of winter - but during the severe storms that we had last year, even winter tires were not always enough. The key to doing a factory delivery in the winter is to have great flexibility in your plans - you might have to spend the entire time in Munich.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Mittenwald?

bobkeenan said:
I have asked for an 18 Dec delivery. From the earlier posts it looks like it will be fun. One thing we are finding is that, except for portions of big cities, Germany shuts down from 24-26 Dec. We will be in a home so that will be fine with us.

Bob, Where did you decide to stay in germany? I think you were considering Mittenwald?? If you chose Mittenwald, I don't think you will be disappointed. Just got back from my trip with a stayover in mittenwald. Very small, but very much to offer. December looks like an awesome time to be there, I saw pictures while I was there showing all the xmas markets, decorations, etc. Not to mention an awesome ski run, the longest/highest in germany I believe. Have fun wherever you decided to go, hopefully some nice pics

·
Registered
143 Posts
Winter ED

Eurobmw06 said:
Bob, Where did you decide to stay in germany? I think you were considering Mittenwald?? If you chose Mittenwald, I don't think you will be disappointed. Just got back from my trip with a stayover in mittenwald. Very small, but very much to offer. December looks like an awesome time to be there, I saw pictures while I was there showing all the xmas markets, decorations, etc. Not to mention an awesome ski run, the longest/highest in germany I believe. Have fun wherever you decided to go, hopefully some nice pics
Mittenwald fell through. The husband wanted to come to CA but the wife wanted to stay home. One interesting thing that we have found out with home exchanges with Germans is that they like to stay home on Christmas. I ended up with about 10 possible home exchanges. One by one they fell through due to cost and other things. We live in Sacramento so it is not one of the top tourist places in the world. We finally had two solid exchange offers. One near Frankfurt and one near Hannover. We went with Hannover. Its a huge award winning house with an indoor heated pool. Its near Celle and we can get trains to anywhere from Hannover. So we will go to Munich for the car explore Bavaria and work our way up to Hannover and then stay there for a couple of weeks. Then home.

We are Christmas Market junkies. We have been to Leeds, Edinburgh, Den Haag German Markets but never one in Germany. So we are looking forward to our cups of hot spiced wine while we buy German crafts we probably really don't need.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
bobkeenan said:

I think you will be fine. An Xi with the OEM all seasons handles quite well in the snow. Just don't drive like an idiot if it does snow (remember AWD won't help you stop). However, December in England is generally just cold and damp. It does snow but not like the mainland. The route to Calais goes through Belgium so the only "mountains" you will experaince will be the Ardennes (scene of the Battle of the Bulge).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts