BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So If I do an ED from a dealer in OR, but my home state is WA, does anyone know what the procedures are? Do I have to drive to Oregon to complete an ED deal or can the complete deal be done over the phone? In addition, during re-delivery, do I need to register the car in OR, or can I just drive it back up to WA and register it there?

thanks!

·
Registered
238 Posts
In addition, during re-delivery, do I need to register the car in OR, or can I just drive it back up to WA and register it there?
What's been done for me in the past is that they'd put an OR "trip permit" good for about a month, and then you'll need to register it in WA -- plus pay the sales tax at that time as well.... :mad:

·
---------
460 Posts
I checked with DMV and 3 registration offices... All of them require registration in WA and freaking 9.1% of tax :bawling: if you have your primary residence here. I specifically asked about 90 days and they said it only applies if I had my primary residence in another state. Imagine what options we could get for that money!

·
Premium Member
7,705 Posts
I think Sparticus_33 can better answer your question since he made a recent deal as you described. But in general, you should be able to close the deal over the phone and mail a deposit to secure the deal. A trip permit from OSDMV should get you home without any hassle. Now, if you can keep the car out of WA for 90 days I think you can skip the use tax, but don't quote me on it and this is all hearsay. You boys don't pay state income tax, so I guess its a wash. :p

cheers,

beewang :)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Now, if you can keep the car out of WA for 90 days I think you can skip the use tax
You also need to establish a primary residence in Oregon for at least 90 days to get around the tax...it's very difficult to do....

You boys don't pay state income tax, so I guess its a wash.
Many of us in Clark Co. get double hosed, since most of the employment is on the other side of the Columbia River and the State of Oregon requires us to pay income tax :thumbdwn: ....

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply everyone.

I guess Delon BMW is the place to go to for ED deals in OR?

Yes, we get hosed over here in WA by having to pay sales tax. However, we do not have a state income tax, so either way uncle sam seems to get you no matter where you live :-(

·
Premium Member
7,705 Posts
KickinA said:
Thanks for the reply everyone.

I guess Delon BMW is the place to go to for ED deals in OR?
Yes, without a DOUBT!! And probably also the place to go for the western United States.

Yes, we get hosed over here in WA by having to pay sales tax. However, we do not have a state income tax, so either way uncle sam seems to get you no matter where you live :-(
Wanna move to Vancouver (the one not in WA) :p

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok, i'll try Delon then.

Actually, I'm originally from Vancouver, BC. The taxes in BC\Canada, make US taxes seem low. Income tax in Canada is a bit over 50%, and the sales tax in BC is 14.5% :cry:

·
Spartacus_33
813 Posts
KickinA said:
So If I do an ED from a dealer in OR, but my home state is WA, does anyone know what the procedures are? Do I have to drive to Oregon to complete an ED deal or can the complete deal be done over the phone? In addition, during re-delivery, do I need to register the car in OR, or can I just drive it back up to WA and register it there?

thanks!
These guys are all correct.... what a great site, eh?

I just did an ED with Delon and handled everything over the phone. I did drive down to meet up with Beewang (have lunch & pick the Jedi Master's brain) and also to talk with the GM, Jim Cupp.

When you deal with Jim Cupp (even over the phone)... he will give you the absolute best price and is just as excited about the deal as you are. Great guy! Takes 5 minutes. I negoitated with 3 Oregon BMW dealers over a period of 9 months.... 5 minutes with Delon and he saved me a ton.... even on the precious 545i that most dealers will only knock $750 off the MSRP. This dealing on cars is actually a hobby of mine.... I've never met a guy like Jim.

Sales tax in Washington State is normally just accepted..... unless you have a crafty CPA in your corner........

·
Registered
59 Posts
The way I did it

The trip ticket can be ordered by mail from Oregon DOT, it is $20 for 21 days. I had all the paperwork necessary when I got back from Europe to go into the DOL agency in Washington state to get plates. I took these with me to Salem and put them on the car when I picked it up, it saved the Oregon trip ticket cost since I had to get plates anyway.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.