BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Oberbayer
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here a list of my favourite beer gardens in and around Munich for those of you who want to cool off from the inside.

I only listed the real big Biergartens with at least 500 seats.

Every Biergarten with link to google maps.

Chinese Tower - probably the most famous (and most touristy) one - but really very nice.

Map
(close to it, the Chinese Tower doesn't have proper address.)

The 2nd Largest one: Augustinerkeller (5000 seats!) closest to the center (5 min walking distance from Hauptbahnhof)

A little bit off the center, but worth the trip:

Waldwirtschaft (very trendy....)

Map

Hofbräukeller (not the same as Hofbräuhaus!)

Hirschgarten (7000 seats) Map

Flaucher at the Isar

Map

BTW: To every one of these beer gardens you may bring your own food (if you want to) or buy it there. The only thing that you must buy there is the beer (or other beverages)

Not enough beer gardens? Here the complete List (in German)

·
Freude am Fahren
19,695 Posts

·
Oberbayer
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Freude am Fahren
19,695 Posts
Currently 90°F...
Translated into the norm: 32 Grad.

(On that topic, Ö3´s morning comedy has a regular sketch where they ask random people a question that is kind of obvious. Last week, they asked people to convert the normal "Grad" into Celcius. It was very funny, almost no one got it. I am waiting for them to ask the color of George Washington´s white horse next :angel:

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
We really enjoyed Forsthaus Kasten . It's out of town a bit, but they have a great area for kids to play in for those taking little ones along. The Augustinerkellar also has a nearby area for kids to run around and play whilst you enjoy ein Maß.

Erik

Forsthaus Kasten

·
Oberbayer
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We really enjoyed Forsthaus Kasten . It's out of town a bit, but they have a great area for kids to play in for those taking little ones along.
Very beautiful beergarden indeed! In the middle of nature and right out of Munich. Here the map.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,695 Posts
Let's also not forget, since we have nice BMW autos:

Attachments

·
I need more coffee!
477 Posts
It would be a great idea to post a link to this thread in the Beer Sticky! Now, if I can only find time to see them all next week...

·
Oberbayer
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Check out Mike's Bike Tours. I think they cover one or two beer gardens on their tour.

·
<- Bailey
7,656 Posts
What is within walking distance of the Munich Marriot North? (It also needs to be within stumbling distance back.)

·
Registered
121 Posts
You're right. Aumeister is also a great beer garden, and not even that small. On the north end of the English garden.

Here the map.

I wanted to cut off the list to head to the next beer garden myself.
:beerchug:

Currently 90°F...
This is very timely info for me - we're waiting at our local airport to begin our trip to Munich. Thanks!

·
Oberbayer
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
What is within walking distance of the Munich Marriot North? (It also needs to be within stumbling distance back.)
Hmm, walking or even stumbling distance ...:confused:

But anyway:

Here a google map with three beautiful beer gardens - all in the Englischer Garten

The westernmost arrow is the Marriot.

2 already mentioned earlier:
Aumeister (northernmost arrow in the map)
Chinese Tower (southernmost)

and one great place (especially if you want to catch a little evening sun)

Seehaus at the Kleinhesseloher See (right by the little lake in the English garden.)

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Alfred - you're killing me! Seehaus and Hirschau are two of my favorites for location! Seehaus gets the nod since I prefer Paulaner over Spaten but either will do. Andechs and Augustiner are still my two favorite Helles though... mmmmmm

Alfred, if you make to many more of these posts, I'll show up at your front door with Masskrug in hand and expect a place to pass out after the festivities end!

BTW - where in upper Bavaria? Do you mean upper as in the German upper (i.e. towards the alps and there for Sudbayern) or upper as in Nordbayern? My family is from Amberg in the Oberpfalz region of Nordbayern.

·
Oberbayer
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alfred - you're killing me! Seehaus and Hirschau are two of my favorites for location! Seehaus gets the nod since I prefer Paulaner over Spaten but either will do. Andechs and Augustiner are still my two favorite Helles though... mmmmmm

Alfred, if you make to many more of these posts, I'll show up at your front door with Masskrug in hand and expect a place to pass out after the festivities end!
OK, no kidding! Let's see if you can live up to your user name... :drink:

I'm a big Andechs fan, too!

This is me (on the right) and a very good Cologne buddie of mine on the Andechs Stammtisch.

BTW - where in upper Bavaria? Do you mean upper as in the German upper (i.e. towards the alps and there for Sudbayern) or upper as in Nordbayern? My family is from Amberg in the Oberpfalz region of Nordbayern.
I live in Gilching, Oberbayern (=upper bavaria), which is of course the most important one of the 7 districts... ;)

Here the 7 districts of Bavaria with a red mark where I live. CU!

·
weissbiermeister
1,256 Posts
I *really* enjoyed the food at St. Emmerams Muhle. Good (coldest I found) Franziskaner too! It's not too far away from the Marriott at all, but not sure that you'd want to try to walk it.

·
weissbiermeister
1,256 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
:drink:
OK, no kidding! Let's see if you can live up to your user name... :drink:

I'm a big Andechs fan, too!
I hope the police in my area don't know German:)

I live in Gilching, Oberbayern (=upper bavaria), which is of course the most important one of the 7 districts... ;)

Here the 7 districts of Bavaria with a red mark where I live. CU!
I figured Oberbayern - just wasn't sure if you were dumbing it down for us Ami's since we think upper and lower in terms of North and South (rather than altitude). You're pretty close to Kloster Andechs - is it the job or the Bier that brought you to Gilching? :drink:

·
Special Agent
2,683 Posts
Lots of good bier gartens you have listed. If you purchase the Beer drinker's guide to Munich there are maps and directions for use with mass transit, it is very detailed and easy to follow. I am a beer snob and would tend to agree with Jspira's selection and anything Augustiner..... there are bier gartens all over Munich that are worth visiting. It is also worth noting that on the way to/from the Munich airport you are within a close distance to one of the oldest (they claim oldest but....) breweries in the world and they do offer tours, the Andechs monastery is another great bier location.

Off topic: as I type this I just glanced over a the TV (Yankee game) and saw a woman using a saw to cut off her high heel then proceed to hop into a 328i coupe': BMW commercial gotta love that and some great bier!

Best of luck!:thumbup:

·
Oberbayer
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You're pretty close to Kloster Andechs - is it the job or the Bier that brought you to Gilching? :drink:
Since Bier is a very scarce resource in Bavaria it makes sense too pick a residence close to a brewery... :beerchug:

No, seriously: My parents moved there when I was a year old and I stayed there ever since. In the mean time I've opened up a small business there, so no reason to move away.

I like it: 5 lakes nearby, many beer gardens and Munich only 20 minutes away.:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts