BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand that ED lease vehicles may not be driven in previous "Eastern Bloc" countries. If this is true, is travel in Hungary and the Czech Republic permitted?

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
martintrott said:
I understand that ED lease vehicles may not be driven in previous "Eastern Bloc" countries. If this is true, is travel in Hungary and the Czech Republic permitted?
Yes..its permitted. Do a search for Prague and you will find lots of info.

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
You can travel pretty much anywhere in Europe now with your car and you'll be 100% covered by insurance. There are only a few countries that you cannot go to but they aren't even in Europe.

I recall seeing a list somewhere but can't recall where. I do know that the list of where you can go is so big that it is now a small list of where you can't go (or at least, where you aren't covered by insurance.)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Go, great place and alot cheaper than Western Europe. Make sure you keep all papers on your body and the three keys. Your car will definitely stick out :angel:
Go to Poland Warsaw also if you have the time.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Watch out for cops...

I was in Czech Rep. in March and didn't have any problems (that I didn't deserve).

A word of caution: watch out for cops. On our drive from Salzburg to Prague we passed thru several small towns where the speed limit dropped to 50kph. We saw cops in 3 of these villages. They were in teams of two cars with two officers each. One team was standing outside with a radar gun while the other was waiting to (apparently) be dispatched. They were wearing bright yellow reflective vests though so I was able to spot them with enough time to slow down. Didn't get so lucky though once I got closer to Prague. Got pulled over less than 3 miles from our hotel. When the speed limit circle above the road drops to 80kph make sure you slow down, especially when it starts flashing at you. The cop who pulled me over said "speed limit 80 kilometers, 110 ok, 150 too fast".

Good luck and have a great trip.

·
Registered
111 Posts
2005 745Li said:
The cop who pulled me over said "speed limit 80 kilometers, 110 ok, 150 too fast".
I love "speed traps" in Europe. They're just so friendly. Even the speed cameras are so nice and obvious. Heck in the UK they even put up great big signs warning you they're about to take your picture so you best slow down and smile. I'm sure there are horror stories out there about getting pulled and having to work through the local system, but I've been driving in Europe for years with work and it's so much nicer than back home.

I was in Prague earlier this year and I have to agree it's a fantastic city to visit. Make sure you exchange your money in a bank or a hotel (better yet use an ATM if you need cash). The money changer stands have been caught recently there running a borderline-legal scam to milk fees out of tourists.

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
There is a certain "legal" requirement to inform you if there are radars around or the potential to have your car, you, and your license plate photographed.

I heard of a story where some married guy (with his girlfriend riding shotgun) had his picture taken as part of a speeding ticket (or ran a red light maybe) and it was sent to his house where his wife opened it up.

He sued for violation of privacy and won, I think.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts