BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched and read a number of posts about when the lease agreement needs to be signed and dated. It seems like it is variable, but generally it is done about 7 days prior to pickup.

I am completely fine with signing 7 days out, but my dealer is looking to "book" the car in May, and he tells me that the reason it needs to be done that way weeks in advance is because the agreement must be sent to New Jersey and then to Germany. I doubt that the lease agreement is actually sent to Germany, but wanted to find out if anyone has any thoughts.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,695 Posts
I searched and read a number of posts about when the lease agreement needs to be signed and dated. It seems like it is variable, but generally it is done about 7 days prior to pickup.

I am completely fine with signing 7 days out, but my dealer is looking to "book" the car in May, and he tells me that the reason it needs to be done that way weeks in advance is because the agreement must be sent to New Jersey and then to Germany. I doubt that the lease agreement is actually sent to Germany, but wanted to find out if anyone has any thoughts.
Another reason one should deal with experienced e.d. dealers incl. Bimmerfest sponsors.

·
Vendor
7,262 Posts
June 17th
Are you financing, paying cash, or leasing?

If you're leasing or financing, that extra week and three days will help, but I don't see it as a big deal on a cash deal. The CA is merely trying to get the deal in this month's business.

...he tells me that the reason it needs to be done that way weeks in advance is because the agreement must be sent to New Jersey and then to Germany. I doubt that the lease agreement is actually sent to Germany, but wanted to find out if anyone has any thoughts.
:liar: The lease agreement, dealer purchase order (not the BMW ED PO), and your purchase paperwork have nothing to do with being sent to NJ or Germany. Everything of necessity has already been sent when you did the ED PO.

Bring him a bucket next time you see him. Have him fill that bucket of bullsh!t and give it to someone else. Tell him you can sign on May 31 and post date the paperwork to 6/10.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,695 Posts
I am leasing. I will go back and tell him to date it 7 days prior to pickup. Thanks.
Keep in mind that the ultimate decision is the dealership's. BMW's 7-day policy is advisory only. Dealerships can change it a bit.

Of course, the dealership can't generate paperwork until the car is built because you need a VIN so it won't be THAT early regardless.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I ultimately say no, I want to have a June lease start date, what can the dealer do? It doesn't seem right to require a customer to start a lease so many weeks early (just to make May sales numbers) and not have the benefit of the vehicle.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,695 Posts
If I ultimately say no, I want to have a June lease start date, what can the dealer do? It doesn't seem right to require a customer to start a lease so many weeks early (just to make May sales numbers) and not have the benefit of the vehicle.
He can tell you it's dealership policy. It really is their decision, albeit a misguided one. You can simply hold your ground. Perhaps they are merely misinformed.

·
I need more coffee!
477 Posts
FWIW, I have a June 11th delivery date. We did the pre-reservation back in January, did the purchase order on May 2nd, and we're closing the lease paperwork in May 31st. My dealer was aware of the 7-day advisory from BMWNA, but he asked if I would consider closing on May 31 so they could get it in the May sales numbers. He's been great to work with on everything else so I agreed. It's only 4 extra days.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
I remember it being 14 days in the past, 7 days is the requirement now? I remember when one deal they wanted me to start the lease 30 days before ED!!!

I hope I can do the 7 days because with a July 9 pickup, I might get lucky and be able to get better numbers for July, that's if the dealer mentions them since I won't be able to confirm it on the fest that early

·
Registered
601 Posts
I signed by lease on Monday 5/5 and picked up my car in munich on Friday 5/9....

Techincally there week in advance means Monday to Friday counting both end days.. I learned that when I did mine.

·
Happy as a snapping clam
812 Posts
I signed by lease on Monday 5/5 and picked up my car in munich on Friday 5/9....

Techincally there week in advance means Monday to Friday counting both end days.. I learned that when I did mine.
Are you sure this is true? I think the funds are due from the dealer seven days before scheduled pickup. They can get the funds from you however early or late that you both agree.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,695 Posts
Current policy is 7 days but this is a recommendation. As always, the individual dealership can set its own policy. However, the deal cannot be written without a VIN so it´s unlikely it can be too far in advance giving the JIT mfr. schedule.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts