BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I completed all the paperwork for my ED which is comming up August 14th. My question is regarding what papers I should have from my CA. He told me at this point all I have to do is show up in Munich with my paperwork and ID.

I filled out the purchase order a few weeks ago and my CA recieved a call from BMWNA confirming everything. Today I went in and paid for the car with a cashiers check. I'm purchasing the car from a dealer out of state, so I did not pay sales tax (I signed an affadavit saying that the dealer wasn't collecting any sales tax). My CA told me I should consult with a tag person back in my home state when the car returns to the US (There is a courtesy delivery involved). Anyway, in my hands I have carbon copies of 3 forms (along with a copy of the filled out PO):

The first form is an order sheet with the dealer's logo which lists the options, price, $1000 deposit, and final amount due.

The second form is an odometer statement.

The third form is an "Agreement of transfer of ownership of a vehicle" between the dealer and myself. It also says I will insure the car with the required level of insurance in my home state.

Those are all the forms I have. I realized a few minutes ago that I don't have anything that says the car is paid in full. The "order sheet" says balance due and lists what I paid for the car...but doesnt show the balance having been paid. Do I need some form of documentation that the vehicle has been paid in full in order for the ED people to release the car? Also, will I need the same type of documentation to register the car when it returns? Finally, when does the title get issued in a situation such as this? On my "transfer of ownership" form it says the title needs to be squared away within 30 days...which would be well before the car returns to the US.

I'm thinking the "transfer of ownership" form may be sufficient. The last paragraph states "Purchaser, for sufficient consideration the recipet of which is hereby acknowledged hereby purchases from seller the above described vehicle and further agrees this sale is consummated and completed this date." Does that mean signed/sealed and paid in full?

Thanks in advance,
David

·
Vendor
7,262 Posts
Really, all you have to bring is your driver's license and passport. If it makes you feel better, bring the documents, but the letter you get from BMW ED will note that the DL and passport is all you need to bring with you at pick up.

The terms of payment and the fact that you paid already are between you and your center. The delivery center doesn't get involved in the fact that you paid or not. The center was already billed for the car and it's incumbent upon them to collect payment.

The transfer of ownership is basically a document informing you that you're responsible for insuring the vehicle and that they bear no more liability in regards to ownership. You are covered under BMW insurance though from your ED delivery date to when it finally arrives at your center. Thus, you need to activate insurance coverage at re-delivery and not when you sign the paperwork.

The title situation gets resolved at re-delivery when the center receives the manufacturer's certificate of origin (MSO) which is like the birth certificate of the car before it gets converted to a title.

Best wishes on your ED and congratulations!:thumbup:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Really, all you have to bring is your driver's license and passport. If it makes you feel better, bring the documents, but the letter you get from BMW ED will note that the DL and passport is all you need to bring with you at pick up.

The terms of payment and the fact that you paid already are between you and your center. The delivery center doesn't get involved in the fact that you paid or not. The center was already billed for the car and it's incumbent upon them to collect payment.

The transfer of ownership is basically a document informing you that you're responsible for insuring the vehicle and that they bear no more liability in regards to ownership. You are covered under BMW insurance though from your ED delivery date to when it finally arrives at your center. Thus, you need to activate insurance coverage at re-delivery and not when you sign the paperwork.

The title situation gets resolved at re-delivery when the center receives the manufacturer's certificate of origin (MSO) which is like the birth certificate of the car before it gets converted to a title.

Best wishes on your ED and congratulations!:thumbup:
So that I understand correctly, BMW covers while on ED, I am required to have insurance upon redelivery, and while in transit the car is covered by shipper?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts