BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will be picking up 645 Cic June 27 (Monday) about 1pm and will need to drop in Amsterdam on June 29 in time for flight at about 1pm. What would be the best route to take from Munich delivery center with a mix of Autoban and country (senic) roads? Need to plan a place to overnight on the 27th. Would like to make it to Amsterdam for evening of the 28th :) . Any suggestions apprecaited on past routes taken to Amsterdam.
TkFlips

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Sounds like fun, but a bit too short. However you could easily do this. Just with a quick idea, I would drive the first night to Heidelberg and overnight it there. It's just under 200 miles, so will be easy to do that afternoon of the 27th. Then the next day after a leisurly breakfast and a last look around take off for Amsterdam. It's less then 300 miles from Heidelberg so you should make that easy in 4 hours 5 tops. If it was me, I'd try to do it in 2.5 hours max. If you make it early enough (before 4) you can drop off the car that evening, and don't have to worry about doing the drop off the day of your flight, even though it does not take long. 1/2 hour about.

Heidelberg is scenic, has a cool historic castle and some really nice restaraunts and is a small safe city.

·
Registered
688 Posts
e36M3r said:
Sounds like fun, but a bit too short. However you could easily do this. Just with a quick idea, I would drive the first night to Heidelberg and overnight it there. It's just under 200 miles, so will be easy to do that afternoon of the 27th. Then the next day after a leisurly breakfast and a last look around take off for Amsterdam. It's less then 300 miles from Heidelberg so you should make that easy in 4 hours 5 tops. If it was me, I'd try to do it in 2.5 hours max. If you make it early enough (before 4) you can drop off the car that evening, and don't have to worry about doing the drop off the day of your flight, even though it does not take long. 1/2 hour about.

Heidelberg is scenic, has a cool historic castle and some really nice restaraunts and is a small safe city.
Very ambitious and senseless, if you ask me. Unless you have family or friends that you are visiting in Amsterdam, of course. You will get there on the 27th, battle with jetlag for at least a few hours, if not a day, sprint to Amsterdam and see if as if you were running a 100m race. Amsterdam is a great place to visit, but so are a million other places. Why not stay a week, since you are flying there? In two days, you have plenty to do in Munich. Unless, of course, your trip is purely about driving. I see so many people in here trying to see Europe the american way....rush, rush and cover as many places or distances as possible. I think people plan in their excitement and want to go everywhere. I know many people in here will say they do not regret traveling these long distances in short periods of time, but if you ask them about the places they visited, they can list them, but not really know them...memories are a blurr. Why not relax and take time to see the sights?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
neurom said:
Very ambitious and senseless, if you ask me.
Uh... don't point that at me... :eek: I actually read tkflips original post and was responding to it, especially "will need to drop in Amsterdam on June 29 in time for flight at about 1pm". I just spent the full 14 days on my ED and have been back only two weeks. We dropped the car with 1992 miles. So, by all means, stay two weeks, but if the man says he has to be somewhere on the 29th... well, who am I to call him senseless! :p

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wish I could stay longer....

Appreciate the input on Heidelberg and if you have any lodging recomendations, let me know. I am actually flying over on the 17th to Scotland for a week of golf, so I should be used to the time change. Yes, this is not the ideal ED trip but at least it accomplishes two objectives with one flight.....9 golf outings at 7 differenct courses and a new 6'er (which with the ED discount, almost pays for the golf outing). :thumbup:

·
Registered
688 Posts
e36M3r said:
Uh... don't point that at me... :eek: I actually read tkflips original post and was responding to it, especially "will need to drop in Amsterdam on June 29 in time for flight at about 1pm". I just spent the full 14 days on my ED and have been back only two weeks. We dropped the car with 1992 miles. So, by all means, stay two weeks, but if the man says he has to be somewhere on the 29th... well, who am I to call him senseless! :p
I specified that if he had to be there to visit family or friends, or implicitly, for any other reason, it wouldn't be senseless. But doing this just to see Amsterdam would be senseless, in my opinion. It is his trip, so he can do what he wants (or has to).

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I didn't go to Heidelberg this time around... but I did last time, and the Hotel was very nice, and had covered parking. It was on the walk from the city to the castle. I'll try to find it, but perhaps others have some recommendations there. Nice place to stop.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
hey Gene,

sorry about the damage to the car. do you have any pictures of the hood/windshield?

hopefully, it will be perfect before you get it back!! I'm sure it will be.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Hey Rashad,

Thanks very much. .

They were little scratches, about 1/2" long, and the chip in the windhield was about the size of a pencil erasure, maybe slightly bigger. One of the scratches went down to the metal.

I talked to the manager at BMW Munich who supervised the work last week and he said the hood looks perfect and it has a brand new windshield.

The pics don't capture the "pain and anquish" :cry: but here there are! Beewang wanted to see the proof too! :p

EDIT: Here's a link to what happened

RChoudry said:
hey Gene,

sorry about the damage to the car. do you have any pictures of the hood/windshield?

hopefully, it will be perfect before you get it back!! I'm sure it will be.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,705 Posts
e36M3r said:
Hey Rashad,

Thanks very much. .

They were little scratches, about 1/2" long, and the chip in the windhield was about the size of a pencil erasure, maybe slightly bigger. One of the scratches went down to the metal.

I talked to the manager at BMW Munich who supervised the work last week and he said the hood looks perfect and it has a brand new windshield.

The pics don't capture the "pain and anquish" :cry: but here there are! Beewang wanted to see the proof too! :p
Ouch!! Damn!! WTH did you do to the car :eeps:

Heheh... these days... I usually skip posts w/out pictures :p

cheers,

beewang :bigpimp:

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.