BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be sandwiching an ED pickup into business trip to Germany, and will not have much more time than to get to the factory in Munich, sign for the car, and head back. Can someone tell me how far from the BMW factory is from the Munich airport and how long the paperwork process takes? Will I be able to fly in early in the morning and have everything excecuted by noon?

I know.......I'd love to do the factory tour and enjoy the day, but I don't think my schedule will permit that.

Thanks in advance for any help and guidance.

· Freude am Fahren
19,913 Posts
I'm going to be sandwiching an ED pickup into business trip to Germany, and will not have much more time than to get to the factory in Munich, sign for the car, and head back. Can someone tell me how far from the BMW factory is from the Munich airport and how long the paperwork process takes? Will I be able to fly in early in the morning and have everything excecuted by noon?

I know.......I'd love to do the factory tour and enjoy the day, but I don't think my schedule will permit that.

I´ve often said it´s a smart idea to take advantage of a business trip and pick up a car (I´ve done it once or twice, although not quite as rushed as your trip sounds).

There are several variables, such as your scheduled delivery time. If you get an early morning time slot, you should be fine. But the Welt´s schedule is quite full and it might not be possible unless you request way in advance. Keep that in mind.

You need approx. 90 minutes or so at the BMW Welt and then figure half an hour to drive the car to the drop-off point and then 30-40 min. for paperwork (and possible wait time).

Then you are done!

· Piacere di guidare
1,477 Posts
I'm going to presume that you're a busy cardiac surgeon, who has to snatch a tiny bit of time between saving people's lives. And this is not some lame "I'm too busy at work" reason for missing out on one of life's more unique, fun adventures. That's it, right? You're saving lives?

Thought so.

Okay, then. You can perhaps convince the delivery folks at Welt to rush you through in an hour - maybe 45 minutes. They'll be disappointed, though. You can then drive from Welt to the airport, which is where the dropoff point is conveniently located, in an hour or less, depending on traffic. The drop-off process averages 30 minutes, although they did my last one in seven. You can then walk to security in less than ten minutes and if it's not busy, be at your gate in another ten or so.

Make sure to get plenty of rest on the flight home, otherwise your first patient might wake up with an ear sewn to their aorta.

· Registered
1,251 Posts
Copy and paste from the FAQ

"Customers have the option to leave their vehicle at BMW Welt for shipment to the U.S. There will be a fee of 60 Euro cash, payable to the BMW Welt; at this time, credit card payments are not accepted."

You can do the paper work, skip the presentation of the car and all the other things.

Then have them call you a taxi to take you back to the airport.

· Piacere di guidare
1,477 Posts
Norm: the OP is going straight to the airport anyway - why not drive out there, forget the delivery fee and save the cab ride? It's about a hundred Euro for both.. He's not allergic to driving the car - just no time.

· Registered
1,251 Posts
Norm: the OP is going straight to the airport anyway - why not drive out there, forget the delivery fee and save the cab ride? It's about a hundred Euro for both.. He's not allergic to driving the car - just no time.
The paper work at drop off can take time. From what I have read it is kind of hard to locate the drop off place. Some have even driven right past it.

Also some have mentioned they have had to drive the car to another storage parking lot after doing the paper work.

I was just letting the OP know of the option to have the car transported.

IMO 100 euro is a reasonable fee for the peace of mind knowing I can take care of everything at one stop, the BMW Welt.

Then all the OP has to do is get to the airport, check in and catch his flight.

The more options the OP has to choose from the better.

Ps. What if the OP plans his European delivery during winter months when snow tires are required?

· Registered
53 Posts
I had to do a similar situation last month. I had a 9:30am "delivery time" with a flight out of Munich at 12:45pm the same day.

I showed up at 8am when the Welt opened and discussed my situation with the Welt staff, who were more than accommodating. They allowed me to skip the who simulation part and get straight to the delivery. We had more than enough time to get familiar with the car and the staff programmed the car's navigation to get to the drop off center.

Drive to the airport was about 30 minutes. Paperwork at the drop off center took 20 minutes, and the Terminal was right across the street. Made the flight with plenty of time!

It's not an ideal way to do a Euro delivery, but since I had done 2 before I was still able to feel the "satisfaction" of picking up my car in Europe.

· Registered
210 Posts
Hey Boothguy - why such a nasty, sarcastic reply? None of us know the OPs schedule and other comittments. It's his/her choice as to how they want to run their life...I don't think they appreciate judgemental posts....I know I wouldn't. Live and let live,... to each his own...etc.

· ///Multiple
4,586 Posts
Hey Boothguy - why such a nasty, sarcastic reply? None of us know the OPs schedule and other comittments. It's his/her choice as to how they want to run their life...I don't think they appreciate judgemental posts....I know I wouldn't. Live and let live,... to each his own...etc.
Boothguy is hardly a nasty, sarcastic guy. He is an enthusiastic fan of European Delivery and has delivered some of the best ED reports here (at least in the 10 months I've been around). I've met him and he is a great, personable guy. His reply was more tongue-in-cheek than nasty and sarcastic and he's this is his way of suggesting that the OP stop and smell the roses. Perhaps you need to get to know him better before you start passing judgement yourself.

· Registered
210 Posts
I didn't say he was a nasty sarcastic guy...I said his reply was nasty and sarcastic...at least as I read it. I am also a great fan of ED. I've done 2 of them. Loved every minute of them. Took the factory tour, sped down the Autobahn, etc. However I don't foist my preferences on others (even tongue in cheek) - particularly to strangers whose schedules, work/family situations I know nothing about. I just have an issue with people trying to tell other people what to do. We are all adults capable of making our own decisions and setting our own priorities in life.
I don't intend for this to become a raging debate on the forum....this is my final post on this thread. Peace!

· Registered
104 Posts

Unfortunately, but if you want to be done by noon, you'll have to skip the factory tour. The English-speaking tours start at 11:30 and last about two hours. Totally worth it though, if you can arrange your schedule.

· Freude am Fahren
19,913 Posts
There's a tendency here to deride plans of those who are not doing a traditional European Delivery - and I think that is why Boothguy answered as he did (I presume). His reply didn't come across as nasty to me, just a bit facetious.

It's a shame if someone misses out on the entire European Delivery experience, but a little bit is better than nothing and, if a business trip to Europe allows someone to take advantage of the program in a small way, versus the unthinkable (U.S. delivery :dunno:).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.