BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking through the forum and I see a lot of photos of speedometers with speeds over 135mph. When I was driving in Germany my car could only get up to 135mph after which it would not accelerate anymore. There was no programmed limit in iDrive (I checked). I assume it's the US required programmed limit.

Not that it matters now that my car is in the US, but is there a non-intrusive way to remove it or are those photos photoshopped / car non-US spec?

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
What car were you driving, the 325xi? Different cars have different speed governors programmed into them.

For example, my 2005 545i would do no better than 152 mph, according to the heads-up display.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, it was 325xi. But why would they program different speed limit or update the speedometer display?

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
My 2001 530i won't do any better than 129 mph.

The speed-limiter is dependent on the car and engine so naturally, the V8s are higher...the Ms probably even higher.

They are software programmed and can be removed...if you know the software. :)

·
Don't be a left lane hog
3,189 Posts
In the E90s the sport package option includes deletion of the 130-mph speed limiter in the 325i and 330i. The xi models have different content in the sport package so I don't know if that is a part.

·
friend of the marque
4,943 Posts
Check your manual.
The 2007 530i with sport package is limited at 155 mph actual regardless of whether you buy it off a US dealer lot or do ED. You will bury the speedo, but you are only going 155 mph - the BMW speedos are optimistic.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
mullman said:
You will bury the speedo, but you are only going 155 mph - the BMW speedos are optimistic.
There's your answer right there for that 325xi.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Don't know about E90s but on the older models without sport package, the cars didn't come with Z-rated tires. IIRC, they had V ratings on them which resulted in a lower governer to meet DOT guidelines (and TuV for that matter).

·
John Firestone
2,913 Posts
No, not the TU"V. They allow lower speed tires on a higher speed car (typically your winter tires). You just have to place a reminder sticker of their maximum allowed speed in clear view of the driver. I am not sure if the DOT really cares either. I was told the speed limiters were a BMW NA decision so that they could use more tolerant, lower speed tires.

·
John Firestone
2,913 Posts
I had another quick look at DOT regulations 571.109 and 571.110 and couldn't find anything requiring a minimum tire speed rating on a passenger vehicle. The main thing they seem to care about concerning the regular tires is their load rating. :(

·
3 pedals only!
2,713 Posts
gesoffen said:
Don't know about E90s but on the older models without sport package, the cars didn't come with Z-rated tires. IIRC, they had V ratings on them which resulted in a lower governer to meet DOT guidelines (and TuV for that matter).
That's possible, but my old 325 SP had the 130mph limiter AND Y rated tires.

Also, V rated tires are, in theory, good to to 149mph, which is in excess of the limiter.

Perhaps BMW has more stringent guidelines on speed ratings, or they may be concerned about liability.

·
John Firestone
2,913 Posts
For a while, BMW NA put a 116mph limit on all their four-cylinder models. Yet, as far as I know, they never put anything less than H-rated tires on their cars (good to 130 mph). A marketing, distribution and support subsidiary can sometimes make decisions that may seem a little odd.

BTW, the U.S. DOT regulations I cited earlier do require a tire to pass a "high speed" load test. The DOT's interest in high speed, however, apparently ends at 85 mph. I guess higher speeds enter the realm of reckless driving.

·
Registered
124 Posts
All the European BMW models are electronically limited to a max speed
of 250 km/h.

I believe this is an aggreement made within the car manufacturers association.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Faxe said:
All the European BMW models are electronically limited to a max speed
of 250 km/h.

I believe this is an aggreement made within the car manufacturers association.
Exactly. I believe it is a voluntary decision to which the major German car manufacturers all adhere for most of their models. The logic is based on environmental concerns, but there appears to be exemptions, i.e. M-types and AMG etc etc.

·
John Firestone
2,913 Posts
Ah, but 250 km/h+ (155 mph+) is far into reckless driving territory and well beyond the limits BMW NA is setting.

·
Registered
223 Posts
DBU said:
Exactly. I believe it is a voluntary decision to which the major German car manufacturers all adhere for most of their models. The logic is based on environmental concerns, but there appears to be exemptions, i.e. M-types and AMG etc etc.
Porsche is the exception but even the M models and AMG's have them unless they just recently changed that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts