BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone purchased ED and basically flown over to Munich signed for the car, and instead of touring Europe, just came back within 1 day?
I am wondering if the savings on a 525xi (after air fare, hotel for say 1 nite plus food etc) are worth the hassle of ED versus negotiating for US delivery at say dealer invoice price + say 3%?
Any/all opinions are welcome?

· Have a world-class day
759 Posts
cruisevirgin said:
Has anyone purchased ED and basically flown over to Munich signed for the car, and instead of touring Europe, just came back within 1 day?
I am wondering if the savings on a 525xi (after air fare, hotel for say 1 nite plus food etc) are worth the hassle of ED versus negotiating for US delivery at say dealer invoice price + say 3%?
Any/all opinions are welcome?
Many people here have done a 1 or 2 day trip for a quick pickup, do a search on the forum. The savings for me even after spending about $2500 on a 7 day vacation were substantial. Although in my mind the expense of the trip was part of my vacation budget and not an added expense or reduced savings from the car purchase. It is well worth taking advantage of the vacation part. My problem now is figuring out how I can do it sooner than 3 years. :thumbup:

· Premium Member
8,788 Posts
There is no freaking way I can fly the long journey just for 1 day, no matter how much I can save. You couldn't pay me enough to go thru the torcher of the flight. What I am saying is: do it for the trip and not for the money. Life is about living and not about the money. :)

cheers,

beewang

· Registered
3,631 Posts
I think for busy people who might be using their FF miles to get a free ticket the ED process is pretty tempting. If you have something to drive while waiting for redelivery then go for it. If you're going to save $$ and have no time/desire to be a tourist then why not? I can almost guarantee that if you then share "ED" stories with anyone and they drove all over creation and had a blast....you'll regret not having stayed at least a few days. What part of AUTOBAHN are you not understanding???? :angel:

· Registered
212 Posts
I understand it is respectful towards our sponsors to not put the specific amount paid over invoice.

PM me if you need my inputs. I must say that I got a really good deal in Jan.

Having come back from ED, the money that you spend on the travel is worth a wonderful experience. Even if I had to buy a car from a dealer's lot at the same price as ED, I would not do it. It is an experience worth it. In my case, I was still well ahead after my trip expenses.

· Registered
4,812 Posts
beewang said:
There is no freaking way I can fly the long journey just for 1 day, no matter how much I can save. You couldn't pay me enough to go thru the torcher of the flight. What I am saying is: do it for the trip and not for the money. Life is about living and not about the money. :)

cheers,

beewang
I agree but money does help.
cheers
vern

· In Driving Heaven
2,783 Posts
Spectre said:
Go study with XXXXXXX and roup1. They've mastered the frequent ED.
;)
What, XXXXXXX(;)), you edited my message because you don't think you're a master of the frequent ED trip? :dunno: :D

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanx for all the advice.
I decided to skip the ED as do not have time to tour in europe right now and to go and turn around and come back in one day is just a big hassle to me. On next order will do a tour. Thus; Ordered 525xi today for July delivery. Took suggestions of Bimmerfest Expert posters. Was able to negotiate @ US dealer invoice + 2.8% which to me seemed a very fair deal. (options: Nav, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Xenon, Park Distance Control and Auto Tran).
Thanx again for the input :)

· The driver
153 Posts
we did it in 2 days!

Due to work constraints, my husband and I did the ED trip in 2 days. We left thursday night and came back sunday late evening. We got there friday morning. Went straight to the delivery center. Took the 3 series factory tour and chilled in the hotel.

On Saturday, we drove to Dashou concentration camp and then toured around munich. Sunday we relaxed and went for a drive and then dropped off the car.

we did not feel rushed or inconvenienced in any way. Not a hassle at all!

You should totally do it.

· I do'nt make mistakes.
13,832 Posts
It has been done, but unless you frequently visit Europe, why not stay at least a few days. Me, I need a few days just to recover from the long plane trip. If money is a big concern, just spend a few days exploring the area around Munich. You won't use much gas and if you look online you can find some reasonably prices hotels. If that's still too much, consider that its small beans compared to the price of the car. Do you want to say you flew to Europe to get your car and didn't drive it on the Autobahn?

· Registered
840 Posts
I flew over on a Saturday and back on a Tuesday earlier this year... my trip summary is posted on here somewhere... it was no problem at all. I used my miles for a free first class ticket.

· Registered
93 Posts
RedStripe said:
Hi, this is my first post here on Bimmerfest, though I've been quite active at e90post.com

Anyways, has anyone actually done or know of someone who has done a US spec e90 Euro Delivery for LESS THAN $1000 over the ED invoice price? Thanks.
I did my ED for $970 over ED invoice. You are in Texas and the 3 places I know that may go below $1000 are on the East Coast:

1) Dave Mcgovern BMW of NorthHaven (CT) VERY Aggressive quotes
2) P&W BMW (Pittsburgh).
3) Joern Esser PASSPORT BMW (Md) He's the best as far as ED knowledge and working with you. $1000 is probably his limit. More than fair considering all he brings to the table. He will work with your local dealer on a Texas delivery. Try him first 301-702-6407

Larry B

· Registered
339 Posts
Can anybody recommend a dealer in northern NJ that is ED knowledeable and ED price aggressive?
Thanks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.