Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
CarSwami
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dropped my 335i covertible at Harms in Munich on the 12th of May, and it was unloaded from the ship at Newark, NJ on the 3rd of June. According to my CA, the computer says that the front bumper is being replaced at the VPC, but he is not sure what necessitated this repair. The car was undamaged when I left it at the Harms parking lot, so whatever happened must have occurred between there and the VPC. Has anyone experienced anything like this before? Without any information as to the seriousness of the damage, I don't know if the bumper is being replaced because it was just scratched, or whether there was more serious engine damage. My CA says that whatever happened, BMW will ensure that the car is fully fixed before it is re-delivered to me.

Should I do anything when I pick up the car to assure myself that any damage caused to the car during the redelivery process is fixed and that I will not have a lemon on my hands? Or is my CA right in stating that BMW will take care of whatever might have happened and I need not worry? :dunno:

Any advice that bimmerfesters can give me will be gratefully accepted.

CarSwami

·
Registered
905 Posts
I had the same issue with a scratch. It'll be fixed just as good as it looked in Munich.

My car arrived on 5/7/07, arrived in the VPC on 5/9/07 and sat for 2 weeks until 5/23/07 because of the scratch though.

·
CarSwami
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response. I hope that it is just a scratch and not something more serious. It would be so much more comforting if my CA was able to get a firm response from the VPC. Oh well, I guess that I will find out what happened sometime in the next couple of weeks.

CarSwami

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I had the same issue with a scratch. It'll be fixed just as good as it looked in Munich.

My car arrived on 5/7/07, arrived in the VPC on 5/9/07 and sat for 2 weeks until 5/23/07 because of the scratch though.
I'm in the same boat as you. Went to turn in my 545 on Sat and my CA (same as yours, I believe) checked the status. The big "D" came up on the report; REPLACE FRONT BUMPER. Mine was unloaded from the boat on the 11th, registered at the port on the 13th, booked at the VPC on the 18th, and who knows now when it will be in my driveway. I figure on another week at least. I am currently at 5wks, 2days since dropoff in Munich, and this is shaping up to be the longest redelivery of my 3ED's (6wks, 5wks, ???wks).

-MrB

·
Registered
48 Posts
Redelivery

Is it this common for cars to get damaged during transport? I am picking up my car in two weeks and am getting a bit worried about the redelivery. I would hate to have them repaint any part of my car, this will be bad when you try to trade the car in as the dealer will find out that the car was repainted which lowers the trade in value.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Is it this common for cars to get damaged during transport? I am picking up my car in two weeks and am getting a bit worried about the redelivery. I would hate to have them repaint any part of my car, this will be bad when you try to trade the car in as the dealer will find out that the car was repainted which lowers the trade in value.
In my case, the scrape might have been caused by very slightly rubbing over a curb when parking. However, since ED cars do not get loaded onto the ships with the shipping blocks installed, there is a greater chance of scraping the bottom of the front bumper when the car is driven off the ship.

I think that the VPC paint jobs are indistinguishable from factory; to the point that they sand the affected areas down to the metal and build up the finish from there so the overall paint thickness is the same as the factory jobs.

-MrB

·
Registered
218 Posts
It happens all the time..

They replaced front and back bumpers prior to my redelivery, evidently a fairly common issue. Don't worry--they know what they're doing, and BMW is way to brand conscious to screw it up..

·
CarSwami
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MrB

I'm trying to figure out whether or not it is comforting to learn that others on this forum are suffering (or have suffered) from the same problem that I have, or commiserate with them! My CA assured me that the car would be "in mint condition" when I picked it up, and I have no reason to think otherwise when it comes to repairing the bumper and fixing the paint job. But I hope that the same applies to any other more serious damage that might have happened during the redelivery process.

CarSwami

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Another aspect of the issue is the time delay. If we turn in the car without a scratch, then during shipping it gets damaged, the repair will add time to already painful redelivery wait...

I was thinking, since any damage is covered by insurance, shouldn't the transportation for the duration of repair be covered as well (most of us probably have insurances that cover rental, etc., so why is this one should be different)?

I'm still waiting for redelivery, and hopefully it will be smooth, but if car gets damaged during shipping, I will take up with BMW the need to compensate for transportation (at least for anything over 8 week period). It would be probably hard to argue anything on the deliveries earlier than 8 weeks***8230;

·
CarSwami
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
jacksonhunter31, thanks for the words of encouragement! It sure seems as though the problem is not uncommon.

bimmer fam, I know what you are thinking about. I believe that I'd be driving my 335i convertible by now if not for the bumper repair issue. The weather was perfect for it this past weekend!

Five weeks since drop-off and counting!

CarSwami

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
At least you have your Swami wisdom help you dealing with the extra wait :thumbup:

We are just trying to get by day after day. :bigpimp:

Good luck!

·
CarSwami
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't know about the "Swami wisdom", but the "Swami patience" is growing thin! My family thinks I am nuts. They say that I should just forget about the car until I get a telephone call from my CA saying that it is finally here!

CarSwami

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I don't know about the "Swami wisdom", but the "Swami patience" is growing thin! My family thinks I am nuts. They say that I should just forget about the car until I get a telephone call from my CA saying that it is finally here!

CarSwami
Kinda like telling the kids to sleep-in on Christmas morning.........sounds good, but it ain't gunna happen! I must say I'm really surprised by all the damage reports. You would think the cost of performing all of these repairs would be significant enough that BMW would get the shippers to take more care. You'll never eliminate all damage, but it sure seems to be common if not excessive based on all we've heard here.

Erik (hoping for no damage)

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Yep, I know. At least I'm still driving my '04 325i while waiting for the new one to get here. I can't imagine people who drove something else, then tried their new bimmer in Europe and now have to struggle...

Good luck!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Dropped our 535xi off with Thomas on May 23rd. Just got word that our Spartanburg delivery will be July 11th, exactly 7 weeks to the day. Longer than I had hoped, but better than 8 weeks!

Expected to have the Aero-Kit installed on redelivery, either at the port or at the Performance Center. Unfortunately parts are still not available and guess what, nobody seems to have a clue as to when they will be. Pretty disappointing.

·
CarSwami
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
guppyflyer

I'm also surprised at the number of reports of bumper damage. It sure seems to be a lot more common than I would have guessed.

Based on anecdotal evidence, I doubt that I'll have my car anytime before the 4th of July. That will mean 7-8 weeks between drop-off and redelivery, which is within the expected parameters.

CarSwami

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I'm also surprised at the number of reports of bumper damage. It sure seems to be a lot more common than I would have guessed.

CarSwami
I'm not sure we have all the statistical data to make such conclusion. I don't think people that had no issues are rushing to report that (they are out driving :D). Plus, there are a lot more cars shipped from Europe than members of this forum...

·
Love the 'Fest
731 Posts
If there is something widespread, I'm sure BMW is all over it. The cost $$ for them to fix these things can't be good for profits or insurance rates.

·
CarSwami
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If there is something widespread, I'm sure BMW is all over it. The cost $$ for them to fix these things can't be good for profits or insurance rates.
You have a good point! I'm sure that BMW is doing everything in their power to keep any damage to as low a level as possible.

I did not mean to imply that bumper damage was a "common" occurrance. Its just that I thought that I'd be just about the only person who was experiencing this problem, and I was genuinely surprised that a couple of other bimmerfesters had also been in the same boat (pun intended!).

CarSwami

·
Registered
289 Posts
Without any information as to the seriousness of the damage, I don't know if the bumper is being replaced because it was just scratched, or whether there was more serious engine damage.

Should I do anything when I pick up the car to assure myself that any damage caused to the car during the redelivery process is fixed and that I will not have a lemon on my hands? Or is my CA right in stating that BMW will take care of whatever might have happened and I need not worry? :dunno:

Any advice that bimmerfesters can give me will be gratefully accepted.

CarSwami
They are known to drain the engine oil and transmission fluid and race 3ers ( esp convt)against 5ers on the deck. Lots of serious engine damage recorder and thus leaving an unsuspecting owner with a lemon.
Relax friend. If this is all you can worry about, give thanks. Peace.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts