BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
This is probably covered elsewhere, but my car is supposed to arrive around mid August from ED. I live in SF and I can't possibly keep 2 cars. I'm wondering what the best/fastest way is to turn around selling my old car so I can bring home my 330i.
Has anyone run into a similar situation in the SF Bay Area?
KBB says my car is worth about $3k private party. I'm wondering if I should call one of those carcash type companies if there are any out here. Maybe post on craigslist. I just want to get rid of it as soon as my new car comes in and I don't want to deal with having to show it to a bunch of people and wait for someone to want to buy it.

Any suggestions?
 

·
Don't be a left lane hog
Joined
·
3,189 Posts
Last year I sold my car on craigslist. Put the listing on Thusday night, Friday people were calling, made appointments for Sat, and sold Sat morning. People came as far as Monterey and Santa Cruz to look at it. It was nothing special, Subaru wagon with ~90k miles, but it was clean. Pricing probably had something to do with it. I asked a couple hundred below what kbb said. One used car lot I talked to said they'd give me $1,000 because they would wholesale it, but that was less than half of what I got.


PS. Hey torrent, your car specs are almost exactly like mine except I got heated seats and Terra instead of black.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
324 Posts
I sold my 2001 325i within 2 weeks of listing it on Craigslist. I listed it in SF Bay Area and Sacramento. I live in Sacramento & a guy from Walnut Creek came out and bought it right on the spot.

good luck!! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks

adgrant said:
If it only worth $3k private party, you won't lose too much if you just sell to a dealer.
Hmm... I would do that in a heartbeat. I'd happily take 2k for it. I can just go to a dealer and offer to sell it to them? I know my BMW dealer laughed at me when I said I have a '99 Ford Contour with 113k miles on it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nice

Asteroid said:
PS. Hey torrent, your car specs are almost exactly like mine except I got heated seats and Terra instead of black.
Good times. I can't tell you how much I vascilated between black leather and Terra. Terra is so sharp! What convinced me was basically my salesman said no one ever orders Terra and he didn't have any that I could look at. I couldn't find any anywhere so I figured I'd keep it safe with black. Also, I really wanted aluminum and not a wood, and I couldn't see aluminum with anything other than black. How does yours look?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
533 Posts
I used craigslist and sold a toyota for my dad in one day. I just sold my Volvo last week on craigslist. (Volvo took about 3.5 weeks to sell on craigslist). If you can live without a car for a week or two i'd start trying to sell it now. If you can not then try your luck at selling it a couple of days before your BMW arrives.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,327 Posts
torrentami said:
Hmm... I would do that in a heartbeat. I'd happily take 2k for it. I can just go to a dealer and offer to sell it to them? I know my BMW dealer laughed at me when I said I have a '99 Ford Contour with 113k miles on it.
Well you probably won't be able to sell it to a BMW dealer. Try a used car dealer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,180 Posts
If you don't mind the drive

torrentami said:
Hi Everyone,
This is probably covered elsewhere, but my car is supposed to arrive around mid August from ED. I live in SF and I can't possibly keep 2 cars. I'm wondering what the best/fastest way is to turn around selling my old car so I can bring home my 330i.
Has anyone run into a similar situation in the SF Bay Area?
KBB says my car is worth about $3k private party. I'm wondering if I should call one of those carcash type companies if there are any out here. Maybe post on craigslist. I just want to get rid of it as soon as my new car comes in and I don't want to deal with having to show it to a bunch of people and wait for someone to want to buy it.

Any suggestions?
If you don't get any hits from craigslist, you can always sell it to Carmax in Roseville.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,501 Posts
Yes, but will Carmax make you a comparable offer to Private Party Value?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,327 Posts
X550-ED said:
Yes, but will Carmax make you a comparable offer to Private Party Value?
They would presumably base their offer off of wholesale value as any dealer would. Since the private party value is $3000, I doubt the difference is that large.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
carmax

X550-ED said:
Yes, but will Carmax make you a comparable offer to Private Party Value?
I'll have to check that out for sure. I'd have to figure out how the ride situation is going to work, but that may be the best choice.

Thanks again everyone for the suggestions.
 

·
Registered
2019 Silver 740i
Joined
·
671 Posts
Craigslist is the way to go - it only took 2 weeks to find a buyer for my wife's '96 Saturn with 175K miles.

IMPORTANT: Be sure to get CASH ONLY, there have been a # of incidents where people have used forged cashier's cheques to buy things. Basically they take an actual check, color-copy it, and add a couple of zeroes, or scan and alter it, etc. Sad to say that cashier's checks are no longer as good as cash.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Interesting point about cash only. What do you do when you're selling a $20K car private party . . . ask for a suitcase? Don't cashier's checks have a number of security features that are hard to dupe?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
324 Posts
I had the same worries when I sold my car on CL recently. As long as you have auto insurance you can report the car stolen if a cashier's check bounces.

In my case, I accepted the guys cashier's check and he also gave me some cash. I got all his information (from his DL and got multiple phone #'s and his work address/info) then signed the title over to him; but waited about 10 days before cancelling my insurance on the car. My insurance company assured me that I would be adequetely compensated should 'something go wrong'.

You have to gague each prospective buyer too, I think. You'll be able to figure out who's honest and who's not. If you press for detailed contact/personal information while conducting the sale and the person gets anxious, they might not be honest.

Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,501 Posts
Don't you usually deposit the check first with the buyer, make sure bank says okay... then hand over the title? :dunno: Even though I sold 3 cars already, 2 were cash and 1 was dealer so no real exp. in these type of dealings... comments welcomed :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
324 Posts
X550-ED said:
Don't you usually deposit the check first with the buyer, make sure bank says okay... then hand over the title? :dunno: Even though I sold 3 cars already, 2 were cash and 1 was dealer so no real exp. in these type of dealings... comments welcomed :)
well you can do whatever you want I guess; but when you have a peace officer in the family.... ;)
 

·
In the heat
Joined
·
1,287 Posts
$5,000 mazda posted on Thursday and sold and picked up on Saturday. Calls started coming in 15 minutes after posting.:thumbup:
 

·
Registered
2019 Silver 740i
Joined
·
671 Posts
smytheee said:
I had the same worries when I sold my car on CL recently. As long as you have auto insurance you can report the car stolen if a cashier's check bounces.

In my case, I accepted the guys cashier's check and he also gave me some cash. I got all his information (from his DL and got multiple phone #'s and his work address/info) then signed the title over to him; but waited about 10 days before cancelling my insurance on the car. My insurance company assured me that I would be adequetely compensated should 'something go wrong'.

You have to gague each prospective buyer too, I think. You'll be able to figure out who's honest and who's not. If you press for detailed contact/personal information while conducting the sale and the person gets anxious, they might not be honest.

Good luck!
Good advice. The people who bought from me were very sketchy, so no way I would take a check from them. As it turns out, they did not apply to DMV for a new title, so we received notice of an unpaid parking ticket. Fortunately we filed the proper sale paperwork with DMV so we have no liability. Then last week we learned that the car had been impounded from a park in the next county. I guess we don't have to worry about what they do with it anymore. :)

As for insurance claim, that may provide some protection though I could envision a situation where the insurer denies the claim on the grounds that the car was not stolen because you sold it and voluntarily gave possession to the buyer. I'm not saying the insurer would ultimately prevail, but it could get messy and cost a great deal of time to resolve. Also, there is no way I would make a claim for a $1700 car - the resulting rate increase would offset any insurance payoff. But YMMV if your car is worth more.

I have sold many things on craigslist including baseball tickets, futon frames, even a used cat little box. :rofl: But scammers and crime reports are becoming increasingly common, so you have to be careful. All it takes is a free library card and webmail account to respond to craigslist posts, plus a pay-as-you-go cellphone, and you're in business.
 

·
I do'nt make mistakes.
Joined
·
10,478 Posts
X550-ED said:
Don't you usually deposit the check first with the buyer, make sure bank says okay... then hand over the title? :dunno: Even though I sold 3 cars already, 2 were cash and 1 was dealer so no real exp. in these type of dealings... comments welcomed :)
The problem is with a good forged check, the bank will say its okay at first, then let you know later that its not. That why banks put a hold on funds from arge checks nowadays. I've never had that problem because I've always sold to friends.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top