BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got everything lined up for our 2 week Germany/Switzerland/Austria vacation for which we depart this Thursday (3/19). We're flying Lufthansa to Munich and will be arriving early in the morning on Friday (3/20), my wife's b-day. After touring Munich (on bus/foot) Friday, we'll be picking up our 335i (alpine white sedan (black leather/aluminum trim), x-drive, step, sport, cold, premium)) and embarking on our 2 week tour across Southern Germany, Switzerland and Austria. My wife put together a 12-page:yikes:itinerary, which would have been much longer, but we had to cut out some of the places we wanted to stop (including the 'ring:bawling:). Our reduced, but still ambitious schedule looks like this -

-Munich (Pick-up)
-Fussen
-Rothenburg ob der Tauber
-Heidelberg
-Baden-Baden
-Freiburg
-Basel, Switzerland
-Wildhaus, Switzerland
-Innsbruck, Austria
-Salzburg, Austria
-Munich (Drop-off)

Any recommendations of things that we must see/do along the way? I will be posting extensive pics when I return. I hope the 335i doesn't make me miss my B5 S4 (stg 3) too much..haha...I'm sure I'll get used to it:bigpimp: BTW, what is the 12-hour rule?

UPDATE 03-21: Warning- don´t try to use a German keyboard in the dark, or you will get locked out and could narrowly miss your 12 hr window like I just did. Apologies in advance...we took tons of pics with our good camera, but can´t find a computer that will read our SD card tonight. So, my wife took a pic in the dark here in Fussen with her iPH0NE and e-mailed it to me (I do not want to know what the roaming fees are going to be for that one). But, anyway...it was a great day and a great drive from the Welt to Fussen. I promise I´ll post more(better) pics as soon as I can find a proper computer. As evidence, here is a pic of our new 335i and I hope the 12-hr Judge can forgive the slight (1 hr) lateness of this post (suggestion-make it a 24 hr rule) -

photo.jpg

Update 04-04: Just got back from Munich. Here's one of me, my wife and our new bimmer at the Welt! More to come...
Europe 2009 063.jpg

More from the Welt...

Update 04-06: My wife reminded me that we didn't actually have our keys handed to us until around 11:30AM, which means that my initial post came in right around the 12-hr mark. However, we were not free of the curse, as the next day, this happened....
Europe 2009 291.jpg
...less than 24 hrs after we picked up the car the adjusting lever for the steering wheel broke:mad:, prompting our first call to BMW assist. We informed BMW about what had happened and told them that we couldn't safely drive the car as the steering wheel would not stay stationary as we could no longer lock it into place. BMW then called a tow truck and we waited around 45 minutes for these guys to show up....
Europe 2009 293.jpg
...who suggested (in very broken English) that they should tow the car to the nearest bmw dealer where it would probably take around 2-3 days to fix (to which we said, politely, 'nein! we can't afford the set back as we need to be in Rothernberg tonight'). They were very polite, however, and were able to understand through a mixture of English, German and hand gestures, that we would prefer if they could somehow tighten the bolt on the steering column to prevent the steering wheel from moving around. Once the steering wheel was set, we breathed a sigh of relief and crossed our fingers that no other problems would pop up during our remaining 12 days of travel.

Later that day, we driving out of Fussen, we stopped and snapped some pics...
Europe 2009 386.jpg Europe 2009 389.jpg

On to Rothenberg and the first sign that things were about to get really fun....
Europe 2009 393.jpg
...and my wife drops the lead foot (she continued to push the needle up to 120mph, at which point I reminded her that she might want to hold it there and not push those RPMs too high during break-in)....
Europe 2009 404.jpg

We pull off for a driver change and to snap some more pics...
Europe 2009 408.jpg Europe 2009 412.jpg Europe 2009 415.jpg Europe 2009 416.jpg

In Rothenburg ob der Tauber....

Later on in our journey the 12-hr curse struck again....what turned out to be just a blown fuse had BMW direct us to the nearest dealer to get checked out....

At the dealer, we saw this 1-series w/ Swarovski crystal zebra print dash inserts (awesome...hahaha)....

From Baden-Baden to Freiburg through the Black Forest....

...higher up in the mountains of the Black Forest it started to snow and visibility dropped to zero....

Nothing interesting in Freiburg to note. On to Zurich, Switzerland where we spotted some sweet rides like this M5 wagon and Lambo...

After being stopped by the border guards (who said that we must have an international driver's license to drive into Austria, but later let us go when they realized there wasn't anything we could really do about it at that point - not to mention we knew they were incorrect anyway) in Lichtenstein on our way to Innsbruck, Austria...more snow....

Continued here...http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4083168#post4083168

·
Freude am Fahren
19,695 Posts
BTW, what is the 12-hour rule?
You must post a photo of your car within 12-hours of taking delivery.

Bad things seem to appear to those who don't - if you don't believe me, search and you'll see all sorts of things. :angel:

·
Driving 'en Plein Air'
2,274 Posts
Sounds like a great trip! Can't wait for the detailed report and at least "12 pages" of pictures :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I'm still having trouble posting my pics using picasaweb from google. Any suggestions?
Do I need to host them on a different site? I really hate to do that because all my pics are on picasa. I want to get this down so I can obey the 12 hour rule.

·
Piacere di guidare
1,474 Posts
Soledoc: can't you just link us to your picasa page?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I'll heed the warning on the 12-hr rule. Hopefully I'll be able to find a place with wi-fi and post something via the iPH0NE.

BTW, has anyone driven the Romantic Road? I'm just trying to figure out if that is the ideal way to get to Rothenburg, as it adds an hour onto our drive. Does anyone know if it is worth the extra hour?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. I'll heed the warning on the 12-hr rule. Hopefully I'll be able to find a place with wi-fi and post something via the iPH0NE.

BTW, has anyone driven the Romantic Road? I'm just trying to figure out if that is the ideal way to get to Rothenburg, as it adds an hour onto our drive. Does anyone know if it is worth the extra hour?
Nevermind guys. I got my answer from this thread -

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250778&highlight=romantic+road

I'll be taking the Autobahn:drive:

·
Registered
256 Posts
You must post a photo of your car within 12-hours of taking delivery.

BTW, does the Premium Lounge at the Welt have a free WI FI spot? This would make it easier to comply with the 12-hour rule.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Soledoc: can't you just link us to your picasa page?
That's a thought. You would just see all my other pics and they wouldn't be right in the thread, but it is a lot easier to do that. I think that's what I'll do. good idea.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,695 Posts
That's a thought. You would just see all my other pics and they wouldn't be right in the thread, but it is a lot easier to do that. I think that's what I'll do. good idea.
Bad idea. Most people won't click thru (incl. me for that matter).

That's why people take the time to post photos directly.

·
Registered
172 Posts
No free Wifi in the Welt. But, if you want to post from the iPhone, I found the application called Pixelpipe to be helpful in getting photos from the phone up to Picassa web. Then I was able to make my post within the 12 hours by linking to that photo.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No free Wifi in the Welt. But, if you want to post from the iPhone, I found the application called Pixelpipe to be helpful in getting photos from the phone up to Picassa web. Then I was able to make my post within the 12 hours by linking to that photo.
Thanks for that. We'll give it a try.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Bad idea. Most people won't click thru (incl. me for that matter).

That's why people take the time to post photos directly.
ok I understand that. But I still haven't found a site that hosts my pics. I've tried picasweb and kodak gallery and when I transfer the URL it just posts a link there (and yes I'm using the image icon) and not the picture. I do it just fine on swedespeed.com. Any suggestions?

·
Freude am Fahren
19,695 Posts
ok I understand that. But I still haven't found a site that hosts my pics. I've tried picasweb and kodak gallery and when I transfer the URL it just posts a link there (and yes I'm using the image icon) and not the picture. I do it just fine on swedespeed.com. Any suggestions?
Just upload them onto bimmerfest, which 98% of Festers do. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Just upload them onto bimmerfest, which 98% of Festers do. :thumbup:
ok...I'll try to figure that out. Sorry for sounding stupid, I just haven't posted a pic and I want to be able to do so before I leave so I can obey the 12 hour rule. I'm really not that technically challenged.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,695 Posts
ok...I'll try to figure that out. Sorry for sounding stupid, I just haven't posted a pic and I want to be able to do so before I leave so I can obey the 12 hour rule. I'm really not that technically challenged.
You just click on the paperclip or the Manage Attachments button.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,695 Posts

·
Driving 'en Plein Air'
2,274 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts