BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on getting the 2018 440 LCI next year through European delivery in the summer of 2017 (June/July or August).

How do I know when the car will be built so I know when to plan my trip? Its not clear to me if the new 440's are being built now but I'm hoping they will be in production this time next year. Does anyone know how much time in between the ordering of the car and the pickup in Munich?

How do people plan their trip? Do you wait until the order is complete and you have a confirmed date of delivery then buy your tickets and book hotels?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,941 Posts
I'm planning on getting the 2018 440 LCI next year through European delivery in the summer of 2017 (June/July or August).

How do I know when the car will be built so I know when to plan my trip? Its not clear to me if the new 440's are being built now but I'm hoping they will be in production this time next year. Does anyone know how much time in between the ordering of the car and the pickup in Munich?

How do people plan their trip? Do you wait until the order is complete and you have a confirmed date of delivery then buy your tickets and book hotels?

Thanks!
Just a FYI, there are many threads on this subject.

Also 2017 is LCI for the 4 series not 18. SOP (start of productions) usually will happen about the 2nd week of July, and the first ED happens after US productions start and cars are bring shipped to the states. So basically your dealer will need a production slot for your 440 before anything will happen, so the soonest one could be in the 2nd week of Aug, could be sooner or later, all depends on your dealers allocation.

But search this forum there is lots of info on this very subject.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just a FYI, there are many threads on this subject.

Also 2017 is LCI for the 4 series not 18. SOP (start of productions) usually will happen about the 2nd week of July, and the first ED happens after US productions start and cars are bring shipped to the states. So basically your dealer will need a production slot for your 440 before anything will happen, so the soonest one could be in the 2nd week of Aug, could be sooner or later, all depends on your dealers allocation.

But search this forum there is lots of info on this very subject.
Thanks for the info. I checked out the Wiki but it didn't answer my specific question on timing.

Wouldn't the LCI be a model year 2018 if it's built in August of 2017?

·
Aviator
2,936 Posts
Thanks for the info. I checked out the Wiki but it didn't answer my specific question on timing.

Wouldn't the LCI be a model year 2018 if it's built in August of 2017?
Sounds logical, but sometimes BMW extends or shortens MY run dates. I've seen 15 month MY runs but also 6 months. Check back in about 4 months and AG may have their manufacturing schedules locked.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My situation was a bit similar to yours. I have a MY17 340i I am taking delivery on Aug. 10th. If you are set on a 2018 MY then you should plan your trip for mid to late August (possibly even later). For this year, August 10 was the absolute first delivery date available for MY17 340i.

In my case, about 3 months out, I booked hotels through Booking.com and made sure every reservation I made was completely refundable. I had my delivery date confirmed by my CA about 6 weeks in advance. This is around the sweet spot for finding the best airfares, so I booked the flight after I had booked hotels. I did have to make a few changes to my hotel bookings but this didn't create any major problems.

I would definitely recommend finding a CA with extensive ED experience. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
446 Posts
My situation was a bit similar to yours. I have a MY17 340i I am taking delivery on Aug. 10th. If you are set on a 2018 MY then you should plan your trip for mid to late August (possibly even later). For this year, August 10 was the absolute first delivery date available for MY17 340i.

In my case, about 3 months out, I booked hotels through Booking.com and made sure every reservation I made was completely refundable. I had my delivery date confirmed by my CA about 6 weeks in advance. This is around the sweet spot for finding the best airfares, so I booked the flight after I had booked hotels. I did have to make a few changes to my hotel bookings but this didn't create any major problems.

I would definitely recommend finding a CA with extensive ED experience. Hope this helps.
That is a very helpful post for those facing the desire to secure the newest model on a European Delivery. Good suggestion about booking refundable hotels first and holding off until 6 weeks prior for airfares since typically the best airfares are non refundable.

·
Registered
4,941 Posts

·
Can has cheezburger
2,081 Posts
One of your questions wasn't addressed so I'll jump on it.

A lot of people wait until they have date confirmation, making the trip booking last minute. This is not opportune for those of us who have millions of sky miles lying around.

What I've done successfully twice is book my airfare 331 days out (max Delta allows), and plan 3 possible itineraries based on the 3 delivery dates that I will give my CA. My CA puts in the request the first day that he can. It requires more planning but enables cheaper airfare and access to hotels and events that could potentially sell out.

You'll find people here at both ends of the planning spectrum and everything in between if you spend some time looking through the forums here.

Let us know if you have any further questions or need advice!

·
Registered
216 Posts
I believe you will find that new engines and model designations are model year 2017, now in production, but the LCI for the 4 series and 2 series will be model year 2018.

·
Registered
4,941 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts