BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I had a great experience at the Welt!!! Everyone was very friendly and it met and exceeded all my expectations. I had high hopes so that is saying alot. Anyone questioning doing ED should just go for it, it was the experience of a life time! I really hope to be able to do it again (and again)! The M3 on the Bavarian roads was a blast.

We toured mostly northern Italy. We did Bozen, Padova, Parma, Venice, Turin, Lake Como/Bellagio.

I have to say that the one hotel that went above and beyond was Hotel Belludi37 in Padova. The staff was extremely helpeful via email prior to getting there. Once we arrived they helped me park my car in a garage around back of the hotel (you get a garage and the lot is gated as well, very secure!). Greeted my wife and I with drinks when we entered. Carried our bags up to our room, showed us around and printed out train schedules for us to catch to Venice. Upon leaving they carried our bags out of the hotel and loaded them in the car. They cleared the small tight side street of cars (from another hotel they apparently got the vallet to move them) and helped me get the car back on the main road by backing down their alley way. The gave us a gift bag with a nice bottle of wine when we left. They followed up with a thank you email the day after we left. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Padova. Breakfast was very good, fresh fruit salad each morning was great, lots of cakes and crossaints, they would make you eggs and other items if you asked. They specially made hot chocolate for a family with kids sitting next to us at breakfast one day. Just alot of nice touches. (Picture 1 is Hotel Belludi37 parking)

While in Munich we stayed at Hotel Uhland, excellent staff, clean rooms, good size. One downfall is you could not control the A/C in the room, they had it set, but the temperature was comfortable so that wasn't an issue at all for us. I dont know if it was like this for all rooms or not as we stayed on the first floor by the office. The car was safe in their off street parking lot (which was gated). The staff all loved the car and asked about the Welt. They were very helpful with directions and any questions. Breakfast was good, not excellent but standard with cereal, breads, yogurts, etc. (Picture 2 is Hotel Uhlands parking lot)

In Parma we stayed at Hotel Stendhal. It has a very convient location to sites and the train. However this was our least favorite hotel. Not because of the room though. The room was nice, big, comfy and clean. The breakfast was very good. Had lots to choose from including eggs, bacon and a few other cooked items along with the normal breads, cakes, cereal, yogurt, coffee, etc. However the staff wasn't as outgoing to us. They would answer our questions but very short and didn't go out of their way like all of the other hotels to make us feel welcome. I would say if you don't care about that type of thing stay there as it was nice and convenient location. They had a garage below the hotel but you had to leave your keys with the parking attendant. I told them we would not be using the car until we left so he parked it in the back section of the underground garage and it was still there when we left 2 days later, so it wasn't moved and I asked him if I could get the car instead of him bringing it up to the front of the hotel so no one drove the car, which might sound crazy but made me feel better.

In Bellagio we stayed at Hotel Metropole Bellagio. Great hotel, very friendly staff. They had no parking so they booked me a garage from Hotel du Lac which is just a few feet down the street. We checked into our room, then went to Hotel du Lac and got our key to our garage unit and put the car there. Hotel du Lac had the reservation and we had no issues, so Hotel Metropole did a nice job organizing all of that. One thing to note is tell them you have a big car. The smaller garages are TINY. I got a bigger garage which was perfect for the M3. This hotel has a great location. The hotel resturuant is right on the water. It has a great rooftop deck that has amazing view of the lake. It is close to the ferry stops. It also was a very good price. We got a side view suite on the 3rd floor and the room was HUGE. It had a queen bed and then a smaller room section with a twin bed in it. We had a small little two person, two seat balcony that had great views even for being a side view room. Staff was very helpful, very friendly. Room was clean and comfy, very good A/C, not very modern or updated, but nice. We ate dinner right across the way at Hotel Sussie and it was excellent food. In fact I had two differententrees because I couldn't get enough of their pastas! (Picture 3 is Hotel du Lac's garage)

Last night we stayed at Hotel Marriott back in Munich. Hotel was very nice, modern clean and spacious. However I am a bigger fan of the smaller hotels with a more personal touch to them. However got a great price on PriceLine so took it. Note this hotel charges you for EVERYTHING extra. Meaning the parking garage was extra, internet was extra, TV was extra, breakfast was extra, printing at the business center was extra, nothing was included in the cost of the room. We didnt care as we just needed a place to crash before heading to Harms drop off early the next morning, but I believe the charged me like 20euro for the parking garage for one night.

We had a great trip and I hope some of my notes help others out when trying to track down hotels in certain areas. That was one of things I spent the most time on while getting ready for our trip not only because I wanted to stay in good areas at nice hotels but also because I worried about the car and parking, so hopefully this helps someone else out. I hope to find some time to put another post together with more info about our actual travels and sightseeing!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
My wife and I _loved_ the Metropole in Bellagio when we stayed there back in 2005. You absolutely cannot beat the location. I wound up just feeding the meters every day we were there and just parked on the street.

-MrB

·
Freude am Fahren
19,758 Posts
Nice roundup of hotels and I hope you added the Padova hotel to the wiki.

I´m a bit puzzled as to why you found it odd that a hotel in a major European city would charge for parking. Did you really expect it for free? :dunno:

As for Internet and breakfast, those items are also not typically included (Priceline or no Priceline) - unless you purchase a package that includes breakfast.

There is a small trend where hotels are starting to include Internet but those are in the minoritz.

·
Travel Fever
2,745 Posts
Big city hotels tend to charge money for parking since land comes at a premium. When I was in Gargars France, parking was free. They have a dedicated secured parking garage but 2 nights I just parked it in front of our villa. No one ever voice any complaint.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Good info for a future trip. We also stayed at Hotel Metropole Bellagio 2 weeks ago and quite liked it. We had one of the rooms with a terrace and an incredible view.

The parking was amusing, as you say. It probably would have been easier for me to just climb out the window once I shoehorned the car into my space. Thank goodness for PDC!

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
In Munich we stayed at the Hilton and parked on the street for free.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
It doesn't meter anymore - but in downtown of Madrid almost all hotels had no parking. We end up parking on underground public garage for $24 EUR/ night. Need to say they very organize and not let you in, if there no parking space, and as soon one car get out, we was let in and you can see green light above vacant space. :thumbup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.