BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i was wondering if I can do a ED order and have the car shipped back to US w/o 1st signing if off in Germany? Or do I have to be physically in Germany to sign it off? Thanks

·
Astigmatic Visionary
2,802 Posts
banhbao said:
Hi i was wondering if I can do a ED order and have the car shipped back to US w/o 1st signing if off in Germany?
No,sorry.

·
Registered
668 Posts
banhbao said:
Hi i was wondering if I can do a ED order and have the car shipped back to US w/o 1st signing if off in Germany? Or do I have to be physically in Germany to sign it off? Thanks
If you wouldn't have to pick it up in Germany, it wouldn't be a EUROPEAN delivery now, would it?

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Yes, you (not your brother, or your wife, etc) have to be in Germany in person to pick up the car. Of course anyone can come with you, but you have to be there in person.

·
Using SPF 45
3,672 Posts
Wallenrod said:
If you wouldn't have to pick it up in Germany, it wouldn't be a EUROPEAN delivery now, would it?
If it were otherwise, who wouldn't do ED?

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
banhbao said:
Actually, they do make some exceptions.

My father went in June 2000 and picked up my 323Ci for me. Someone definitely has to go to Munich from the U.S., that's for certain. Who it has to be is unclear, but one thing's for sure: Today's BMW European Delivery order form still has two separate line items: "Customer" & "Purchaser".

It is my belief that all BMW really wants is for someone from the U.S. to go and visit Munich.

·
Premium Member
7,705 Posts
RichReg said:
Actually, they do make some exceptions.
Sorry Rich.... That is NOT allowed anymore. Shortly after your last pick-up, the policy was changed and what you described is NOT allowed anymore.

·
Registered
145 Posts
beewang said:
Sorry Rich.... That is NOT allowed anymore. Shortly after your last pick-up, the policy was changed and what you described is NOT allowed anymore.
I think that's a shortsighted policy. If I'd have been able to designate my father as the "customer" he'd have picked it up for me (I can't because I've a child due around the time I'd have had to travel to Europe)... and in the process BMW would likely have gained a new customer. He's been on the fence about BMWs for a while (he's had a succession of Volvos dating back to the early 70s but seems to be wavering these days. What could be better for BMW? They get to sell a car to someone in the States... and they get a potential customer as a captive audience to some of their most effective marketing (trip to Europe, trip to factory, cool new cars...). Having had to order and pickup here (still waiting) I'm sure I'll be excited about the car, but they lost the opportunity with my father.

·
It's Bimmer, not BEEEEMER
462 Posts
But then where would BMW draw the line? My cousin who is based in Germany could pick up the car for me or my "friend" Norbert??? I could "introduce a lot of people to Norbert to be his "friend". That would open the flood gates and ultimately harm the US dealers.

ED is not for everyone. Some people want the convenience of going down the street, negotiating, buying and driving off the lot. There is value there, so people are willing to pay a little more. Those who want the experience of ED and are willing to sacrafice personal time and expense for the trip are rewarded with more aggressive pricing and a great overall experience. Having a relative or someone else pick up the car defeats the purpose (IMHO only).

·
Premium Member
7,705 Posts
resker said:
I think that's a shortsighted policy. If I'd have been able to designate my father as the "customer" he'd have picked it up for me (I can't because I've a child due around the time I'd have had to travel to Europe)... and in the process BMW would likely have gained a new customer. He's been on the fence about BMWs for a while (he's had a succession of Volvos dating back to the early 70s but seems to be wavering these days. What could be better for BMW? They get to sell a car to someone in the States... and they get a potential customer as a captive audience to some of their most effective marketing (trip to Europe, trip to factory, cool new cars...). Having had to order and pickup here (still waiting) I'm sure I'll be excited about the car, but they lost the opportunity with my father.
I can't disagree with you more. And here is why:

1) BMW AG makes more money by NOT selling the car theu ED. The whole ED thing is a marketing expenditure.

2) Except for a few die-hard buyers, vast majority of the people is doing ED for the money saving, and no other reason. That's the fact, you can't deny that.

3) The policy is really to prevent a scenerio where if I am a car broker, I can send 20 people over under my name to pick-up a car so cheap, that I can under cut all dealers and profit from it.

4) Have a will.... have a way!! The alternative would be that your dad buys the car and takes delivery and sell you the car upon returning. It will still serve the same purpose and I am sure you trust your dad and vice-versa. He gets the trip, and you still have the car the way you wanted.

·
Premium Member
7,705 Posts
adwebinc said:
But then where would BMW draw the line? My cousin who is based in Germany could pick up the car for me or my "friend" Norbert??? I could "introduce a lot of people to Norbert to be his "friend". That would open the flood gates and ultimately harm the US dealers.

ED is not for everyone. Some people want the convenience of going down the street, negotiating, buying and driving off the lot. There is value there, so people are willig to pay a little more. Those who want the experience of ED and are willing to sacrafice personal time and expense for the trip are rewarded with more aggressive pricing and a great overall experience. Having a relative or someone else pick up the car defeats the purpose (IMHO only).
Right on!! That is exactly what I am trying to say. ;)

·
Registered
145 Posts
beewang said:
I can't disagree with you more.
Okay... let's see if you don't find this even more disagreeable :)

beewang said:
And here is why:

1) BMW AG makes more money by NOT selling the car theu ED. The whole ED thing is a marketing expenditure.
Right, and wouldn't BMW AG be interested in getting more bang for their marketing expenditure by reaching two people instead of one?

beewang said:
2) Except for a few die-hard buyers, vast majority of the people is doing ED for the money saving, and no other reason. That's the fact, you can't deny that.
Then where's the marketing value in it? If it's just a money saving vehicle (pun sort of intended) then why would BMW be interested in pursuing something that is supposedly nothing but a cost to them? I think the answer is obvious... the intrinsic value of the program is building brand loyalty. I think they'd still get a measure of that from the "purchaser" while planting a strong seed with the "customer."

beewang said:
3) The policy is really to prevent a scenerio where if I am a car broker, I can send 20 people over under my name to pick-up a car so cheap, that I can under cut all dealers and profit from it.
I understand that and why, of course, they'd want to limit that, but by instituting just a few guidelines this could work in the manner I described. BMW would end up w/ both a satisfied customer and an excited prospective customer that just had a great experience in Europe picking up a cool car.

beewang said:
4) Have a will.... have a way!! The alternative would be that your dad buys the car and takes delivery and sell you the car upon returning. It will still serve the same purpose and I am sure you trust your dad and vice-versa. He gets the trip, and you still have the car the way you wanted.
Yeah, I thought of that... but I was worried he wouldn't sell it back to me... Just kidding -there were other complications that I won't go into here that would have made that problematic (although ultimately cheaper).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts