BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
"The journey is (usually) the reward" - but not this leg of the journey...

First things first, I was on vacation and did not bring the laptop, OK? Secondly, it took me a while to figure out how to re-size photos and post them here. But better late then never, right? Except, I just KNOW Jspira is going to confiscate my ride :confused:

Unlike most ED'er, my itinerary had me go from Munich up North through Germany to Denmark to visit my aging parents and a couple of old friends, eh, girl friends, actually. The idea was to drive on secondary roads to Denmark for the break-in period, then speed South back to Munich on the Autobahn. That plan worked great.

But before we get to Munich, I need to tell you that this ED was timed around a rare English-speaking tour of the Dingolfing plant where my 530 was made. The tour was given on Friday June 23, so I planned to arrive Thursday morning (09:50 from CHI), drive out of Munich to get away from the soccer crowds, crash and then be at Dingolfing by 2pm the following day for the tour. Due to weather (2 inch hail at 35,000 feet is to be avoided according to the FAA), I missed the connection in CHI (coming up from LAX for the CHI/MUC flight). There were about 18 of us. United sent two of us on a $50 cab ride to the "nearest hotel" - the 16 unlucky bastards, who flew coach, got to spend the night at the airport. I ran in to them the next morning - man, were they ripe! Anyway, I made friends with a nice lawyer lady from SoCal on her way to Italy and as long as she gets reimbursed by United for our cab rides, it's all good.

Sigrid was to pick me up at MUC, and I was able to call her (thanks, United) and advise her that I would be coming in a day late - and from Frankfurt (no seats on the CHI/MUC flight). I had a four hour lay over in Frankfurt and scored a shower at the Business class lounge. My (new) lawyer friend scored a massage at the CHI lounge from what I gather.

So, fresh off the plane at MUC, I find myself standing with about 25 other folks at the luggage carousel some 40 - 50 minutes after the plane landed and no new luggage is appearing. They had a replica of the World Cup trophy going around and around - very funny. Note the pix of the VIP. We had just gotten off the plane on the tarmac at MUC and on to the terminal bus. This guy steps into a MB S350 - license plate LH MUC 7 - Lufthansa Munich # 7. Guess there is first class and then there is first class...

It is getting close to 2PM, it is Friday afternoon, I have missed the Dingolfing tour, I have no luggage and I am worried that I won't make it to the ED center before they close for the weekend. Life, as we know it, is not good at this point. I exit the airport, and there is Sigrid. She had called my US cell phone (doesn't work in EUR) AND the ED center to let them know we were running late. Hearing about my luggage woes, she gives me a big hug. Life is getting better. I informed Sigrid "Screw the luggage, let's go find my ride and I will return later to fill out the paperwork." We made up some good time on the 250 km/hr sprint down to the ED center. At the center, I was greeted by a friendly: "Oh, Mr. Petersen? - we have been expecting you." I waited 20 minutes and the lovely Ms. Jenna appeared. I am in love but didn't think of taking a picture. Frankly, my head was spinning with the thought of not getting my luggage.

Anyway, Jenny did a fine job explaining everything I knew already (thanks Bimmerfest). She asked me to mention that she now knows where the tool kit is (trunk lid) :rofl: After "my afternoon with Jenny" i staggered back upstairs to sign the Bimmerfest book and took a couple of photos of the car.

After the delivery, I drove back up to the airport on the A-bahn in the slow lane. I have driven in Germany before and felt completely comfortable on the A-bahn after a few minutes. German drivers are very disciplined, courteous and predictable. The latter is a very good thing when there can be a 100 MPH speed difference between the slowest and fastest lane.

Back at MUC, I felt a big relief when I saw my bags sitting there waiting for me. They had apparently travelled on the direct CHI/MUC flight (naught-naughty, United). But I was glad nonetheless.

More to follow. In fact, I will try and crank out a new chapter each evening until I "am home again."

Attachments

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
The limo service is available to everyone

Who flies first class with Lufthansa. I took first class from SFO-FRA-CDG-MUC-SFO. While transitting in FRA, you are housed in a separate first class terminal building. Then 15 minutes before your flight closes the door, they drive you in a MB S-class or Cayenne right to the plane. You then board about 5 minutes before the door closes, you are basically almost last on the plane. They time it just right.

I think FRA is the only airport that LH offers this at the moment. I don't even think MUC has it yet. But honestly, it is sort of gimmicky - something to differentiate LH from the rest. God did give us legs...

·
Registered
62 Posts
DBU said:
We made up some good time on the 250 km/hr sprint down to the ED center.
Roger that.........we had the same ride. That 7-series is some car.........and she says it's a diesel!
[/QUOTE]
and the lovely Ms. Jenna appeared. I am in love but didn't think of taking a picture. [/QUOTE]
no comment

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
holy cow!

DBU said:
"They had a replica of the World Cup trophy going around and around - very funny. "
I flew in on United from DC to Munich on the 21st and on the luggage carousel there was also a replica of the trophy. Only, the one I saw, the brown paper wrapper was almost completely torn off. CRAZY!!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts