Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Comparos/articleId=109021

This is probably my favorite quote, regarding the 3 series versus the competition:
And when we reminded ourselves that the true mission of a sport sedan is to provide enjoyment derived from driving, not quoting performance numbers to your buddies or convincing whomever which is the better deal, it always came back to the BMW.
I can think of PLENTY of toyota and nissan fanboys who should read that closely when defending their precious is and g35.

·
In vino veritas
3,374 Posts
The photography in that article is the first I've seen to truly capture the appearance of the E90 as it is in person. They must've used a fairly wide-angled lens.

·
Registered
457 Posts

·
In vino veritas
3,374 Posts
Edmunds is not known for objective reporting. Nor is Car & Driver, for that matter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I drove both last month before I opted for the 330xi.

The IS350 is much faster off the line, but it had some body roll. I was not confident that it would not fly off the road.

I think this review is pretty accurate. The IS350 felt too small inside. It was nicely appointed, however. The backseat was a joke.

The brakes on the IS lacked the same confidence as well.

Look, the IS350 is a great car for someone who wants a smooth ride and off the line jump. It is not for people who want a white knuckle ride down Kelly/Lincoln Drive in Philadelphia. The handling just dosen't feel the same. The braking is weak. Also, the car dosen't feel solid.

·
Registered
457 Posts
akhbhaat said:
Edmunds is not known for objective reporting. Nor is Car & Driver, for that matter.
That's my point. And that's why I usually like edmund's articles than others. They all should just drop the pretension of objectivity and replace it with subjective opinions. The second opinion section in any comparo are often the most insightful part anyway.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The report was no better or worse than other comparos. It's all about slinging opinions right along with reporting performance data and stats anyway, which is exactly what they did here. Everything they said pretty much falls right in line with everything other mags have said; the 3 is the driver's car, even with its plain interior and less powerful engine, and the is is the cruiser's car, suffering from no road feel, avg handling, and electro-nanny overkill.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I thought this comparo was more balanced than most of the earlier ones. I drove both several times before deciding on the 330i. The numb steering and 'tuna boat' handling of the IS killed it for me. It just inspires zero confidence. Anyone who thinks they are just bashing the IS needs to take a test drive. You'll be begging to get back into your "slower" 330i.

If I wanted a velvet-glove rocket ship then the comparo would be between the IS and one of the big-engined MBZ.

·
Not Wearing Pants
13,832 Posts
Pretty much matches my take on the two cars. Of course, I compared a 330i manual to IS350 automatic. It's not my fault Lexus is run by retards: I'll compare the cars as I want them, not by the limitations imposed by Lexus.

FWIW, that Lexus automatic is one steaming pile.

·
Registered
24 Posts
tksung said:
This is a subpar report, a typical comparo pretending to be objective when it is full of subjectivity and falacious comparisons. Edmund's previous review of IS350 was a much better "comparo" than this. Incidentally, that was the best PR writing for 330i that I've seen, ending with "Now, where is that BMW key?"
I think its a reasonable review. I'm not sure how one defines a "true" objective review? Is it to just list a few numbers and then decide a winner? You could make a list: 0-60 time, 60-0 distance, slalom mpg, and skidpad speed.... thats sounds objective.

But wait... aside from the subjective decision as to which tests to include, how do we weight each "score" relative to the others? even if we decide to weight each test evenly, the scale for each varies because the units are different. certainly, the skidpad value can't be directly equated to a 0-60 time without applying a scale to each value. to do that we've become subjective! we decide subjectively how to weight one test vs another. so even in a completely numerical test, subjectivity rears its "ugly" head (again, in addition to the subjective decision of which tests to include in the first place)

every review in history has some measure of subjectivity involved... as far as this test, i can't find too much fault with it. i've driven the 330i, 325i, and is250, and the differences were fairly obvious to me. i just didn't feel any involvement in the IS, and thought the interior was claustropobic and of only moderate quality. the pics of the interior certainly looked nice, but in person the materials seemed average at best - maybe mid-tier toyota. i thought the IS250 was sorely underpowered and uninvolving, but didn't try the 350 because i have no interest in an automatic. but... of course, that's my subjective opinion - the BMW was a much more entertaining and involving and fun drive.

but to say the review is "fallacious" is just wrong - its no more "subjective" than any other review I've read. I completely agree with their opinions on which is more fun and more involving to drive. and isn't THAT what matters? not the raw numbers, which apparently the 350 wins in one category (raw acceleration) which seems to drive IS enthusiasts crazy that it alone does not make the IS the king!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts