BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Interesting that he sounds much more positive about the sound in the review than the B- he gives as a grade.... I consider myself an Audiofile ( having spent WAY too much money on home equipment) and the audio system is more than Adequate for my tastes. Not close to a great home system but more than adequate.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I find it to be one of the best stock audio systems I have heard, frankly it blows me away with its soundstage, range, bass extension and shear volume. SometimesI think people just want to find a fault because of the nameplate....

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Pretty much what I expected... Honestly the system isn't expensive enough to warrant better results although I'm sure most people who aren't big into audio would expect it to be the best ever (probably the same group that thinks bose is the best audio equipment on the market :rofl: ).

Should be fine for a stock vehicle, although like I said in another thread I'd have loved if they had a McIntosh option or something on that level.

I find it to be one of the best stock audio systems I have heard, frankly it blows me away with its soundstage, range, bass extension and shear volume. SometimesI think people just want to find a fault because of the nameplate....
Yep I expect serviceable to good results for the price were paying anything more than that is a bonus.

·
Gadget/Car Nut
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, I'm confused now. I got the upgraded audio system -- is that the one being reviewed?

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
So, I'm confused now. I got the upgraded audio system -- is that the one being reviewed?
Yep here is a quote from the article, only difference between that and the 550x is the price of the package.

As with every current 5 Series model, the best we could get in our long-term 2011 528i is the "Premium hi-fi system" that's part of the pricey $4,500 Premium Package 2

·
Registered
184 Posts
I am an older audiophile, and I tend to agree with a lot of the points made in the edmunds review.

The bass is anemic, muddy in the mid bass and upper bass, and not authoritative at all. This is surprising because the subs are mounted directly under the front seats, which should help considerably.

The seven band equalizer would be much more useful with 9 or 11 bands, with more frequency adjustment points at the lower end, such as at 40 hz, 80 hz, 120 hz, 180 hz.

Imaging is probably the best SQ feature of the stock F10 audio system. I have played SACDs and SACD multi ch disks, and the image SQ is excellent

The hard drive should not use 256 bit compression, It should be uncompressed (or use a much higher bit rate); and it should have a 50 GB capacity, like in the 2011 X3.

At higher volumes the upper mid range distorts.

But my biggest complaint is that BMW fails to provide an audio parts list and assembly manual so we can make intelligent choices to upgrade the system. Focal or ADS tweeters for example, mids and sub drivers with greater accuracy, and better amps could transform the F10 audio system into something very special, at least as good or better than any other auto mfgers audio system.

I disagree with edmunds as to the iDrive integration of CD, stored music on the HD, Sirius, my Ipod classic and the USB connection(for my streaming of Pandora off my blackberry). I think this works rather well.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
The hard drive should not use 256 bit compression, It should be uncompressed (or use a much higher bit rate) with a 50 GB capacity, like in the 2011 X3.

At higher volumes the upper mid range distorts.

But my biggest complaint is that BMW fails to provide an audio parts list and assembly manual so we can make intelligent choices to upgrade the system. Focal or ADS tweeters for example, mids and sub drivers with greater accuracy, and better amps could transform the F10 audio system into something very special, at least as good or better than any other auto mfgers audio system.
Yep no reason at this price range or more we aren't getting uncompressed, but again off the top of my head I'm not sure anyone is.

And I agree we are basically going in blind if we want to upgrade (although I'd never do it alone just take it to a custom shop)

·
Registered
184 Posts
+1. Agreed, have a custom shop actually do the work, but I always select each component, connectors etc.

·
Happily Driving
7,161 Posts
Couldn't you put uncompressed audio files on a USB Memory Stick or on an iPod and play it back from that device without having to worry about copying things to the F10 hard drive?

·
Registered
759 Posts
The review was sort of generous. It's an adequate system and definitely better than the basic system that comes with most cars but to my experienced audiophile ears my Acura RL had a better sounding system - but then I prefer Dynaudios over B&W so what do I know :D

·
Registered
184 Posts
Me530

Yes, that option exists. I have also heard that some people have even used the USB connection for a portable 250GB solid state hard drive, full of uncompressed music files.

IMHO, the interface, menus, song lists etc work best on the BMW internal 12GB hard drive (even though compressed at 256 bit rate). One you download a CD, you can even delete individual songs, leaving you with your own personal "greatest hits" CD content.

The iPod interface through the iDrive is a little clunkier. i also hear that the menu systems and song lists are even a little more difficult to deal with on the large 250GB portable hard drives connected via the USB port.

·
Happily Driving
7,161 Posts
As an aside: I wonder if the internal hard drive on the F10 is solid state? In any case, I wonder if it could be swapped out for a larger capacity drive?

·
Happily Driving
7,161 Posts
Me530

Yes, that option exists. I have also heard that some people have even used the USB connection for a portable 250GB solid state hard drive, full of uncompressed music files.

IMHO, the interface, menus, song lists etc work best on the BMW internal 12GB hard drive (even though compressed at 256 bit rate). One you download a CD, you can even delete individual songs, leaving you with your own personal "greatest hits" CD content.

The iPod interface through the iDrive is a little clunkier. i also hear that the menu systems and song lists are even a little more difficult to deal with on the large 250GB portable hard drives connected via the USB port.
Very interesting. I look forward to tinkering with all of this. I'm not a big apple fan so I didn't get the App option to support iPod out. I bet that would be the best bet for future owner-audiophiles. :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
I do not know if it is true, but I have heard IT expert types "guess" that automobile movement and road vibration requires cars to have the solid state type of hard drives....

·
Registered
184 Posts
I think you are correct. Uncompressed music wav files played on an iPod through the BMW iPod port would have the best sound quality, with the built-in CD player second best.

·
Registered
429 Posts
ALC (apple lossless compression) bit for bit from the source, and reasonable space demands. Best on a iPod classic for a significantly sized music server.

My impression was the 12 GB internal storage for music was a partition or segment of the storage device for navigation, iDrive but maybe I'm wrong.

·
Gadget/Car Nut
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Someone throw me a bone here. Readly to slit my wrists while I wait for my car to arrive...

Okay, I'm just kidding (about the wrists) but disenchanted at the unanimous disappointment.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts