BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For the first time ever I carried out an oil and filter change on my 320i. I have really had my doubts about BMW dealer servicing and decided to do an oil change myself. :angel: I used Castrol Magneta fully synthetic oil. Since doing the change the engine feels much smoother to rev and is quieter, but more interestingly the clutch action is now silky smooth and feels like it did when the car was new. Prior to this, when the car was cold, the first inch or so of travel, as the clutch pedal came up from the floor, felt sticky and jerky and the pedal felt heavy. This has now disappeared. Could engine oil have an effect on this and if so, how? Does the E46 have a clutch cable and if not how does the clutch work? Thanks!

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Placebo effects. Its all in your head. But go with it and enjoy the belief :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had considered that!! In relation to the engine you may possibly be correct but the stickiness during warm up has definitely gone from the clutch. Anyway surely new oil should result in a smoother engine? No?:confused::)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How is the clutch actually lubricated? I know on older cars there was a container for clutch fluid similar to that for brake and steering fluid.

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
How is the clutch actually lubricated? I know on older cars there was a container for clutch fluid similar to that for brake and steering fluid.
'clutch fluid' is just the hydraulic fluid that is used to engage/disengage the clutch, it does not lubricate it. The BMW's clutch fluid is brake fluid (like most cars) and the reservoir is shared with the brake fluid reservoir.

I don't know if the clutch is lubricated by the transmission fluid or not - I don't think so...

·
Registered
268 Posts
The BMW clutch runs dry. That is to say, the friction disk, pressure plate, and flywheel do not have any oil on them. If they do, you have a major problem.

Some older cars, including American Hudsons, and some early MGs and Morris Cars had oil-filled clutches, usually with cork friction surfaces. Perhaps this is what you were thinking of.

Good that you changed your own oil. As someone mentioned, in addition to the money you saved, and the experience you gained, you got the "placebo effect", a free bonus.

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Clutch isnt lubricated at all, sealed bearings on the idler aka throw out bearing. Thats about it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts