Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI All,

Firstly I have tried to search for the issue i am having on the forum without finding thats specifically meets my situation, so if there is one, apologies and if you can point me in the right direction would appreciate that.

in the meantime i'll explain my issue...

about a month ago i starting getting exhaust smells, after a few week i got an EGR 402 (Valve stuck open) error coce came up. Had a look through forums and found things about doing a clean and fluids. I tried this first.
the old part and said it was clean but the flap was broken. The vehicle had excessive smoke coming out of the exhaust which he explained would require a DFP clean but he did not do this.

couple of days later took to another garage, they replaced the Mass Air flow filter (Not Sure why and @£200) and did a regen of the DPF (£180). There was still a very slight exhaust smell, but guy said this would be the case unless i replaced the whole DPF unit.

Now a few weeks after having this done the same error code appears and engine goes into Limp mode again, with fume smell getting worse. Called the second garage and they explained that to fix this issue i would have to have the DPF removed and sent to a professional for a chemical clean, which would cost and additional £400!

Also error code now says E401 and E402 at the same time, suggesting valve is open and closed!!!!

I am looking to sell the car but so dont want to keep putting in more money, But I also dont want to pass the issue on to the new owner.

Now the question, from you experience the was the correct work done given the symptoms?, is the Chemical clean the next step?
This is my only vehicle and have kids so need to get this sorted

I am sure there are things i should have added but any help or advice would be appreciated

2011 X5 40D Stock

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 98K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,052 Posts
They are throwing your money for parts at the problem.

First, the AUC should shut to recirc on hydrocarbon odors.

A Diagnostic Trouble Code error does not identify a broken part to be replaced but identifies a symptom that may be caused by any number of failed components or adjustments to be differentiated by execution of a BMW Test Plan© Guide through the fault tree.

·
Registered
158 Posts
With the M57 3L diesels, the high pressure EGR is electrically operated. The low pressure EGR is vacuum activated with a spring return. Not sure about the 4L diesels, but if electric, might be jammed with carbon or the electric motor broke (or both). If vacuum activated, there is a return spring, which should close it unless the spring is broken or the vacuum pressure converter control valve is broken. If vacuum controlled, always check the vacuum lines, first.

You should confirm what EGR devices the 4L engine has. I suspect just the high pressure EGR (electric).

Makes sense there would be more smoke if an EGR valve is stuck open. It could cause the DPF to need a good cleaning if the problem hasn't been addressed quickly - just a guess.

The EGR system can be checked by the tech with the BMW ISTA diagnostic software. In test mode, you can command the EGR valves to full open and full close to check things. It should not be rocket science for them- might want to go to another shop if they seem confused.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,503 Posts
HI All,

Firstly I have tried to search for the issue i am having on the forum without finding thats specifically meets my situation, so if there is one, apologies and if you can point me in the right direction would appreciate that.

in the meantime i'll explain my issue...

about a month ago i starting getting exhaust smells, after a few week i got an EGR 402 (Valve stuck open) error coce came up. Had a look through forums and found things about doing a clean and fluids. I tried this first.
the old part and said it was clean but the flap was broken. The vehicle had excessive smoke coming out of the exhaust which he explained would require a DFP clean but he did not do this.

couple of days later took to another garage, they replaced the Mass Air flow filter (Not Sure why and @£200) and did a regen of the DPF (£180). There was still a very slight exhaust smell, but guy said this would be the case unless i replaced the whole DPF unit.

Now a few weeks after having this done the same error code appears and engine goes into Limp mode again, with fume smell getting worse. Called the second garage and they explained that to fix this issue i would have to have the DPF removed and sent to a professional for a chemical clean, which would cost and additional £400!

Also error code now says E401 and E402 at the same time, suggesting valve is open and closed!!!!

I am looking to sell the car but so dont want to keep putting in more money, But I also dont want to pass the issue on to the new owner.

Now the question, from you experience the was the correct work done given the symptoms?, is the Chemical clean the next step?
This is my only vehicle and have kids so need to get this sorted

I am sure there are things i should have added but any help or advice would be appreciated

2011 X5 40D Stock
Was the flap ever fixed??????????

Or did you just not like what the first shop said; took it to a second shop...maybe didnt tell them what was done...and are playing some weird, dumb 'shop for a cheap fix' game???

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No the faulty egr was replaced. I asked for a clean thinking it was clogged up. But the mechanism was broken replaced with a HAAS branded unit. After which I took to second garage to get the dpf done. No driving in between other then travel to garage max 5 miles

·
Registered
196 Posts
My EGR problem was fixed by a new vacuum line. There is a test menu for the EGR in ISTA+. It it doesn't open enough, try it with a new vacuum line. Should be night-day. I've had to replace 3 vacuum lines to date.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,503 Posts
Its not readable...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry very low limit on image size. Hope this ones better. Spoke to bmw dealer idiot says they spoke to bmw who said that the fault tree suggested replacing the valve. He forgot to tell him I already got that done. Same fault from bmw as the original from my garage. What a waste.

Attachments

·
Registered
622 Posts
Might be a long shot, but did the tech who replaced the EGR verify it was seated properly?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The first one he said was faulty. Second one seemed ok for a while. But I wouldn't put it past. By the looks of things I'm gonna replace the vacuum pipe which I think has the sensor control

·
Registered
196 Posts
1. Looks like there is a communication fault in the DDE... what is the DDE having trouble communicating with?
2. What system are they using? I've only used ISTA+, but there are so many test modes it makes it simple to troubleshoot most problems.
3. Did you try the vacuum hose?
4. Are these errors all current? You'll have more to worry about than just the EGR...

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,503 Posts
Sorry very low limit on image size. Hope this ones better. Spoke to bmw dealer idiot says they spoke to bmw who said that the fault tree suggested replacing the valve. He forgot to tell him I already got that done. Same fault from bmw as the original from my garage. What a waste.
$100 says he is lying to you and never ‘spoke’ to BMW....

I have a saying..’idiot or liar’. In this case Ill venture both.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
BMW dealer called me back the 100 was for them to do the ista again for me to confirm the original readout. They replaced the valve again and have reported it's working apparently!. So this suggest my original garage messed up the installation. What's worse they charged me 200 for a none OEM and said the oem would be 350. BMW charged me 215! I'll be having words. Getting car back tomorrow will let you know if the fault is still there

1 - 14 of 14 Posts