Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
EKP + CPU Fan = Cool

Wife has a 2010 535i, was getting a random shutdown while driving with a fuel pump error. Car could restart after a few minutes and drove fine until a few days later it would shutdown. Replaced the Low Pressure Fuel Pump LPFP in the fuel tank, but still had the issue. Hooked up INPA software to look at live data and let car idle for 15 minutes in driveway, and then saw both Low Pressure and High Pressure sensor values drop at same time, then the car stalled. Decided it was the EKP Fuel Control Module. Pulled away the fabric in the trunk and exposed the EKP. Drove several times and car did not stall. Decided that the unit was under heat stress.

Bought a new EKP for quite cheap on Ebay and also purchased an $8 dollar CPU fan 40MM diameter and 10MM deep.

Drilled a large fan hole and vent holes in the EKP plastic case and mounted the CPU fan to the EKP Case.

20190210_144824.jpg

20190210_144926.jpg

20190210_150850.jpg

Spliced power wires to the EKP Power source and used a quick connect that came with the CPU fan in case I need to change or disconnect later.

Tested and running well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Planning to wire in a fuse so that if the fan shorts out, it does not blow the fuse to the EKP itself. This will keep the EKP powered even if the CPU has short.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great idea. How is this working so far?

It looks like you connected the fan to the PWM voltage output (to lpfp) instead of the power source from the glovebox. Am i right?

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,477 Posts
Three wires in (power ground and PWM), two wires out. Which depends on what is hidden in the plug.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Judging from the thickness of the wires and the routing, the 2 thick ones from the loom is the input from the glovebox/fuse. The 2 thick wires on the seperate smaller connector which route down go to the lpfp.

More info here; https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=904424&page=2

So yeah, the fan is currently on the pulse regulated fuelpump wires which means the fan runs slower in low-load scenarios.

I will be doing the same thing soon but i will also add small heatsinks to at least the mosfet. It seems like that is the part that gets the hottest.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Please help! I have the same car but ix. Same year. Same thing is happening to me. My father in law changed both the low and high pumps already and some sensor (in the front of the car by the engine i forget the name).
I tild me the last peice.of the puzzle to change is the EKP control module.

I see them on Ebay for around $60.00 used part. Would you recommend grtting a used one? New its over $300.00?
Im so tired of driving this thing not knowing when it will shut off or if ill be able to start it.
Anything any advice will be a god send.
Done! Also added headsink.
Temperature of the back of the EKPM module went from untouchable to nicely warm.

https://www.server-works.com/bmw/ekpm1.jpg

·
Registered
35 Posts
Question. Does this need any kind of programming at all? If so does it need to be brought in to BMW or can anyone do it or can the part just be swapped out without any additional programming needed. I see a used one on ebay and want to buy it.

Done! Also added headsink.
Temperature of the back of the EKPM module went from untouchable to nicely warm.

https://www.server-works.com/bmw/ekpm1.jpg

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks. I was thinking since I am getting the part used from another 535I it is already programmed. If I was buying it new it would not be programmed but I am waiting for the official word.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts