BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This probably applies to many Models but I happen to have had to figure it out doing a differential oil change on my 1999 528IT.

You MUST have a 14mm hex wrench to remove and replace both the filler and drain plugs on the differential.
Of course this is an odd size that is not readily available and costs about 25$ if you order one from Sears, Lowes, Snap-on, etc.
You will probably only use it once or twice during the life of the car and then only need it for 15 minuites or less.

If you go to the hardware store bring a 14mm crescent or socket wrench for size comparison. go to the loose machine nuts/bolts section. go to the SAE (American non-metric) area. You should find that a 3/8" diameter hardened machine bolt with hex head has a head that will ft the 14mm wrench. get one about 1.5" long (thread doesn't matter) and two nuts to fit the bolt.

Screw the two nuts down on to the bolt leaving about 1/2" space between them and the head of the bolt. tighten the two nuts together to lock then in place.

Use the head of the bolt as the 14mm hex wrench head to fit into the drain plugs and use a 14mm crescent wrench to turn the bolt/wrench.
A couple squirts of PB loosening spray and a few taps with a hammer to the wrench and everything came apart easily without buggering the drain plugs.

HINT: The fit was snug on mine and I had to lightly tap it into the drain plug female hole.
I also had to tap and wiggle it a little bit to remove the tool from the plug.

Total cost less than $2. :bigpimp:

FWIW

·
Registered
333 Posts
Nice tip!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts