BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Fern Green was underrated
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

Long time since I've been on BF, I have an '01 330ci. Posting because I had a really odd thing happen to me today.

A month ago I replaced my battery and alternator, a rebuilt Bosch. Since the alternator swap, I've intermittently had my battery light come on. If the light comes on, and I switch the car off and on again, it goes out.

Today, after driving the morning commute just fine, I had some issues: First, the radio can't tune to any station except for one SERIOUSLY close by, like within about a mile or so. Secondly, all the lights on the dashboard seem to randomly switch on and off - the parking brake light, the ABS light, and the traction control warning light (the yellow triangle and !). The battery light comes on, but goes off when I'm revving the engine. My left headlamp warning light is on (the lamp itself doesn't work), but upon checking the bulb its fine.

What the hell is going on? It seems as though the electrical system in the car is completely out of whack. The car seems to drive just fine, but I do have issues with the engine RPM while at idle. This started a couple days before the instrument cluster issues.

Any help would be appreciated. A pointer to a thread, some info online about the problems would be EXTREMELY welcome. It seems my car is possessed. Anyone have some insights?

Cheers,
- C

PS - Should also mention that lately I've been smelling a burning type of smell in the interior of the car. I assumed it was a coincidence until it was really prevalent today after the instrument cluster issues.

·
Registered
118 Posts
sounds like you have a voltage problem. If you have a multimeter test voltage. If not then take it to autozone and have them test the charging system. Check to make sure that the power and ground cables are secured to the battery.

·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do, test voltage where? The problems are so widespread I'm at a loss.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Under the hood should be fine. There has to be a short or an intermitten low/high voltage condition. Im not saying that its definately the problem but it sounds like it. Car electronics go nuts when the voltage gets too low or too high. I had 3 bad "rebuilt" alternators that after a few months and less then 500 miles decided to pump out 16-18 volts into my car (Eclipse). Thank god that I had a voltage guage and only 15 min trips. But I really do suggest you check it out or have it checked out ASAP!!

·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey, thanks for the help! The bulb died out today, must've been halfway burnt-out yesterday and I just didn't notice. Replaced the bulb, tested the battery with a multimeter & everything checked out. Dashboard/radio are no longer possessed. Odd that a short in the headlamp could cause all those problems!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts