BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently noticed that the fan makes noise when I turned on AC and found out finally it was caused by a broken part of the plastic fan. I sent my car to a local maintenance shop in Toronto to have a check and was told that fan had glues on it and apparently has been repaired before. Two months ago, I had the water pump and thermostat replaced at Bimmex. I was wondering if the fan was broken by the technician there and had it glued.

The guy told me the fan costs over $1000. I think it is too much. So guy offered to fix it with glue. Yesterday the fan makes noise again. The glue failed to work.

Is it possible to just replace the fan instead of the whole assembly? I found in eBay that some fans costs only $30 and is indicated that they fit my 2007 BMW X5 3.0si 3.0L. The search link is below:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sac...6CC%20l6%20GAS%20DOHC%20Naturally%20Aspirated_a_

·
Registered
34 Posts
i would suggest getting specs on your fan first. find out the physical size and how much air the stock fan flows. if you can find one the same size and flows and equal amount of air, you should be good...given the person installing it knows what they're doing. i'm not familiar with the e70 so i dont want to tell you YES, but i don't forsee you having a problem.

·
Ja mei!
531 Posts
Glueing the fan will damage the bearing because of imbalance.

So, the noise might actually not only be coming from the fan but also the bearing.

Something you should consider. In the long run replacing the whole thing might be the better solution.

Sent from BMW Assist in the ditch

·
Registered
169 Posts
See if there is a CFM number listed on the one in there now and match that with one of the Ebay ones and I'd think you should be good.

Harry

1 - 4 of 4 Posts