BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If my X5 been parked for several hours or over-night, the AC does not cool upon starting the car. It blows warm air for about 5 mins then it gets cold.

Is my problem the electric fan or possibly the compressor? Any test I can try to diagnose?

Thanks alot.

·
Registered
12,022 Posts
Low on freon.

·
Registered
727 Posts
If my X5 been parked for several hours or over-night, the AC does not cool upon starting the car. It blows warm air for about 5 mins then it gets cold.

Is my problem the electric fan or possibly the compressor? Any test I can try to diagnose?

Thanks alot.
Sounds perfectly normal to me! When the AC starts after a period of setting it has to overcome ambient temperature as well as cool off the AC transport system and associated parts before it will blow cool!

Also per your thread title, BMW AC and heating is what I would call gentle. It creeps up on you almost like it isn't working but then before you give it a second thought you are comfortable... Typically you don't have to have the fan blowing a hurricane for it to cool down like a lot of cars! Don't forget the max setting that dials the temp down and the fan speed up! And there is also a dial setting allowing you to control how the heating and AC respond. During hot weather you turn the dial toward blue and cooling is priority. In colder weather turn the dial toward red and heating is priority...

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
took it to my Indy shop and they hooked it up to a Snap On AC service machine. It shows FREON was LOW. They added over 1LB. Electric fan was working fine. No problems there. I'm gonna drive it for a few days to make sure AC problem is gone. You might be right about low freon 1BAD540! :thumbup:

Thanks for the replies guys.

·
Registered
727 Posts
took it to my Indy shop and they hooked it up to a Snap On AC service machine. It shows FREON was LOW. They added over 1LB. Electric fan was working fine. No problems there. I'm gonna drive it for a few days to make sure AC problem is gone. You might be right about low freon 1BAD540! :thumbup:

Thanks for the replies guys.
If it was low on Freon then there is most likely a leak. Did they put dye in the system and look for and find a leak? If not you'll be back to square one in short order...

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes he mentioned adding a dye to the system and that if there's a leak it'll be easier to spot. I'll check back with him in a few days.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 100K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
18,315 Posts
took it to my Indy shop and they hooked it up to a Snap On AC service machine. It shows FREON was LOW. They added over 1LB. Electric fan was working fine. No problems there. I'm gonna drive it for a few days to make sure AC problem is gone. You might be right about low freon 1BAD540! Thanks for the replies guys.
Hmmm, over a pound of freon, that's an interesting amount.

My X5 AC requires 1.54 ±0.02 pounds (0.32 ounces) of freon.

How did your indie shop know what fraction to load? If they evacuated the system then they would have loaded the full weight AND known of any leaks.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes we looked at the green sticker under the hood that shows 1.54 too.

I remember seeing something on the display about evacuating the system.

I'll check back with him about any leaks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts