Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 535i 130,000 miles.
This is problem #1,
I noticed the electric fans would kick on and off differently that usual. They would kick on for 3 seconds then off again and again. Sometimes for 20 seconds. The car is at normal operating temp.
This is problem #2,
As I'm driving the temp will climb to 240ish degrees and the system will let me know the car is running hot and to drive moderately. This is after 30 to 40 minutes of driving. I pull over and shit the engine off for literally 5 minutes and the temp dropped back to normal operating range. Start the car up and drive again with no issue over heating.
I'm sure there two problems are related. Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Munich Mark - 2014 535XD
817 Posts
Search for Water Pump 535i, lots of posts there, #1 issue pretty much along with PCV / Valve Cover Oil Leaks and Noise.

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
My opinion as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had the same issue on my e61, at 140.000 km. After changing waterpump ok. Now I have a f11 , at 140.000 km I changed the water pump preventy. I read on internet who did some statistics on electrical waterpumps f bmw. 95 % ok untill 100 000 km, 5 % at 200.000 km. It is not a very difficult job to do. It took me 6 hours. I changed also the thermostat and the radiator( saw some residu of cooling liquid on 1 edge).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I decided to replace the water pump and thermostat from everything I've read. About 6 hours yesterday. Just need to bolt up the electric steering rack and swap bar today then add the coolant

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 98K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,050 Posts
Vacuum fill is required. Vacuum fill is required for a successful bleed. Vacuum fill is required to fill trapped air voids with no flow to fill or bleed. Some NewTIS procedures are explicit, No watering can fills!

An electric coolant pump must be kept full of coolant and turned by hand after installation. There may be an INPA function to start an ECP with more than normal starting torque which is normally very weak.

Everyone is buying (New)TIS access but it does no one any good to ignore the requirements, precautions and prerequisites.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts