BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post, so please be patient. I am looking for a e46 convertible that is red. I have recently seen two different colors of red from a 2001 and 2002. I have looked over the posts here and now know that at least 2 reds are available and they are Electric Red and Imola Red. I also found that the color code for Electric Red is 438. My question is, which red is more orange red. I really only want that more orange red color. I am now running into a situation that I am having to look in different cities that are far away and don't want to start flying only to find that it is the wrong color of red. Also it this orange red color limited to a few years. I have only seen it on a 2001 here. Please advise and thank you for your time.

·
Registered
597 Posts
i could be wrong but i think imola was only available on the m3 or the "performance package" = zhp. in any case, im sure you can find both colours locally at a dealership.

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
Imola was only available with the performance package, which was only offered on convertibles in 2004-2006... so it's not Imola.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Kimmy. It is the Bright Red II. I feel that the good news is that I found what I like and the bad news is it is no were to be found! Thank you all for your posts!

·
Freedom isn't free!!
2018 Glacier Silver 340i M Sport
19,961 Posts
Bright Red was the color in at least '99 and '00; I'm not sure about '01. Electric Red replaced Bright Red. Since the facelift occurred in '02 I'm inclined to think '01 models could have Bright Red, but again, I'm not sure.

Both have hints of orange hue, especially compared to Imola which is a deeper, somewhat blood, red. I think Bright Red has less orange than Electric Red. Bright Red seems to my eye to be a more true red compared to Electric Red.

Whatever the case, Imola RULES!!! imho :thumbup: But, as KrisL points out, I have drunk the kool-aid. :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I cound not pass this one up. I haven't seen this color around that much and really wanted it so tonight I bought my first BMW. Check my garage to see a picture. The body sticker says "Hellrot". I will post some more pictures when I can get her outside. Thank you all for your help in identifying this color. I am sure I will be around the fourm asking all kinds of newbe questions, after searching the fourm first! Talk to you soon!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Umm, I have a 2002 325I with the Sport & Premium Package. The original papers on the car says, "Imola Red." ?? I love it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
According to google conversion from German to English... Hell = Bright, and Rot = Red
Thanks for all your posts!

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Umm, I have a 2002 325I with the Sport & Premium Package. The original papers on the car says, "Imola Red." ?? I love it.
interesting... do you mind posting pics of those papers? or even simpler, a picture of the strut tower where the color is stamped on the chassis? :)

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
According to google conversion from German to English... Hell = Bright, and Rot = Red
Thanks for all your posts!
But for whatever reason, BMW renamed the color for the American market:
Hellrot = Light Red = Bright Red

as they also did for its successor:
Japanrot = Japan Red = Electric Red

1 - 19 of 19 Posts