BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A very long story short I had my serpentine belt fall apart and thrash my water pump wiring. That was quite some time ago. When it happened I checked the wiring and I made sure they were separate but they're stripped and I repaired those however now the water pump it still turns on and runs all the time. The car is very slow to get up to running temperature. It seems to me that if a fuse was blown the water pump would just not work but I believe I've read somewhere that there are multiple fuses that control it and if a particular one is blown it might cause a symptom of it running all the time I also think that the fuse is number fuse 73 in the glove box which isn't like an accessible fuse it's covered it's either covered I don't know what's under the little rectangle on the side fuses like 71 through 75. So before I do anything crazy I just want to make sure that this either made sense to somebody or a possible way to test the fuse 73. I'm also having a bus line error which I believe could be due to this same wiring issue that got crossed or I think the wires got mashed together before I separated them so I'm thinking something might have shorted out somewhere. Anyhow I'm just looking for diagnostic help. I've read many posts on this forum which has been awesome so I'm also not able to read my oil level which I believe is on that same electrical line and I believe danos inlet is not controllable cold start no communication which I believe also might be on the same electrical and I'm not 100% sure if the Vanoss symptom is or not but I know the oil level sensor being out and the water pump oh there's an error that says no communication with coolant pump any advice would be awesome and much appreciated I'm trying to keep this short but let me know if you need any other info. The site has been awesome. You all here at beamer fest have definitely helped me out before this is my first post but I definitely have read a lot of problems and fix a lot of stuff so thank you guys for all that helps so far.

·
Registered
E30 325e, E34 535i, E46 330Ci, E60 530i, F10 528i, F10 535d
854 Posts
You need a BMW capable scan tool to check the water pump through a computer. The scan tool would show you the target and actual speed of the water pump. Also the DME would store a code if the pump is not running at the target speed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome. I'll be back with some more information. Thanks so much for the help. I've just hit the point of feeling overwhelmed so its much easier to just follow someone's suggestions for now.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Since you didn't specify the engine or MFG date of your vehicle, here is the information for the F10 N55, so if you have a different motor, please post. You most certainly should run ISTA+ to pull your codes...,,,,,

For the F10 N55 engine, the Electric Coolant Pump (M6035) is powered from a 50A fuse, F07 from Z11 (integrated power supply) as shown below, and before 06/2015, the water pump communications was via the BSD line to the DME. and post 06/2015, was changed to the LIN Bus to the DME as shown in the schematic below:

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Motor vehicle

Rectangle Slope Line Font Parallel

·
Registered
2 Posts
oh shoot cant believe I spaced that info in my post. It is an F10 N52 528i 2011. Thanks for your time. Going to read up on the Ista diagnostics now.

I think I read of my car having an auxillery water pump but not sure if that is true or not. if you happen to know that would be awesome to know.

oopsy logged in with my other account

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Auxiliary coolant pump
The auxiliary coolant pump is only installed with specific engine versions.
The auxiliary coolant pump serves to make sure that the coolant flow rate needed in the heater circuit is maintained (for combustion engines, among others, even at low engine speeds):
If an auxiliary heater has been installed, the auxiliary coolant pump will not be present. The function is assumed by the circulating pump on the auxiliary heating.
Functional description
The electric auxiliary coolant pump is a single stage radial pump.
The coolant enters the auxiliary coolant pump in an axial plane, while the discharge is radial relative to the impeller's rotational axis.
The auxiliary coolant pump is powered by a brushless electric motor. The IHKA control unit relays activation and deactivation commands to the auxiliary coolant pump in the form of messages on the K-CAN. The junction box electronics (JBE), the front electronic module (FEM) or the Body Domain Controller (BDC) controls the auxiliary coolant pump.

ItemExplanationItemExplanation
1Coolant inlet2Coolant outlet
3Auxiliary coolant pump (without bracket)4three‐pin plug connection
Structure and inner electrical connection
A 3-pin plug connects the auxiliary coolant pump to the onboard electrical system.

1Auxiliary coolant pump
Pin assignments
PinExplanation
Kl. 31LLoad ground
USupply voltage
1 pin not used.
Characteristic curve and setpoint values
The auxiliary coolant pump's speed is not controlled. The coolant pump operates at a rotation rate of roughly 2800 rpm.

1Pressure2Characteristic curve at 12 V rated voltage
3Volumetric flow
Please observe the following specification data for the auxiliary coolant pump:
VariableValue
Speed (operating point)Approx. 2800 rpm
Volumetric flow rate (minimum)720 l/h
Voltage range9 to 16 V
Supply voltage12 V
Maximum current consumption in normal operating mode1.2 A to 1.4 A
Temperature range of coolant temperature
(max. 135 °C for one hour)
-40 to 125 °C
Temperature range-40 to 120 deg C
Diagnosis instructions
Failure of the component

Failure of the auxiliary coolant pump is accompanied by the following symptoms:
  • Fault code entry in the junction box electronics (JBE), front electronic module (FEM) or Body Domain Controller (BDC)
Function check of the component
The diagnosis system can be used to check operation of the auxiliary coolant pump.
Path: Function network > Body > Heating and air conditioning function > Climate control, Temperature control > Auxiliary coolant pump

1 - 11 of 11 Posts