BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Electrical Problems on ZHP !!!!!! (Update at bottom)

Has anybody ran into this problem yet?? Today I'm driving along and my radio (INF)button for Sirius goes out. Then my sterring wheel control for the radio goes out. So I'm freaking out hoping it's just the radio. Then about 2 minutes later my air conditioner starts acting like it has a mind of it's own. Going up and down by itself. Well at lunch time I'm heading to eat and my air quits blowing cold air, just hot air!! Of course it was 100 degress here today so I rushed it to the BMW dealership here. After about 3 hours they said nothing was wrong with my air and they would have to replace my radio. So I say Ok and leave. Well,...tonight my car starts doing the air thing again. Then my lights start acting weird,... not going off right whne I turn my key off and my doorlocks don't lock right away but about 1 minute after driving. Then my windsheild wiper goes off!!! I'm wondering "What the hell??" I'm taking it back to the dealership tomorrow but I was wondering if anybody else has had this problem. My car is a 2004 ZHP with 15,000 miles on it.

Thanks,
Lance

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How many miles do u have on yours?/

·
Registered
2015 335 M-Sport Mineral Gray
6,346 Posts
I had similar electrical problems in my car last year. Different electrical sytems all a sudden quit working. More details can be found in this thread. Unplugging the satellite radio and reconneting it solved the problem. It appears that a loose connection screws up the I-Bus and it goes bonkers. :yikes:

·
Grinning from ear to ear
2,029 Posts
I've had something sort of similar with my bluetooth. I'll get a call, talk for a few minutes and hang up. Unfortunately the car decides that it's going to stay in phone mode no matter what I do. That means no radio at all. I've even tried turning off the car for 5 seconds and then restarting and nothing. But if I get a 2nd call, or if the engine is off for sufficiently long - then it goes back to working.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update...

Took my car into Dealership today and SA said they could not find anything wrong with my car?? He said they will look at it again tomorrow. He also said it may be the alternator?? This ,...I doubt.

Lance

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Still not fixed!!!!!!!

Well,....my car is still at the dealership. They still can't find out whats wrong with my car and it's been over a week!! Does anybody have any suggestions of what I can do? I miss my car :cry:

Thanks,
Lance

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Lance said:
Well,....my car is still at the dealership. They still can't find out whats wrong with my car and it's been over a week!! Does anybody have any suggestions of what I can do? I miss my car :cry:

Thanks,
Lance
Did they try disconnecting the Sirius radio? :dunno:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got car back....FINALLY!!!

Well I finally got my car back yesterday. They still did not know what was causing the problem but last week I told them that I had read here that maybe unplugging the I-Bus connector on the Sirius box in the trunk that it might help. When I picked up my car he said since they had unplugged that and plugged it back in that they had no more problems. I think they were jusy embarrased about a customer knowing how to fix the car!!

Lance

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Lance said:
Well I finally got my car back yesterday. They still did not know what was causing the problem but last week I told them that I had read here that maybe unplugging the I-Bus connector on the Sirius box in the trunk that it might help. When I picked up my car he said since they had unplugged that and plugged it back in that they had no more problems. I think they were jusy embarrased about a customer knowing how to fix the car!!

Lance
My dealership sure knew about this issue. That is the first thing they did.

The dealership claimed that the issue only came up because I was using a non OEM satellite radio/changer. They told they me that they were entitled to charge me 1 hour of labor but since I had been a long time customer they would waive it. I also remember reading about a posting about a similar experience but the dealership charged him $350 in labor for tracking the issue down. My own dealership told me that the next time it happens they will ask me to remove all the non OEM equipment out of my car. :mad: Well, it is good to know that this whole issue is not related to having non OEM equipment but rather that the I-Bus is very sensitive about the connections.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I occasionally get exactly the symptoms you describe in your original post but my car is a 2000 328 with absolutely no modifications or "non-OEM" equipment. It happens about once every couple of months. Usually a complete shut down and restart cures the problem. My dealer too was unable to locate anything. Good luck with yours. I hope the problem did not cure itself and it just happened to conincide with what the dealer was doing. Let us know if it happens again.

Todd

1 - 13 of 13 Posts