BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since February 2013 (2 months after my warranty expired) my 2008 BMW 325i began displaying an annoying intermittent "Electrical System Malfunction" message on my iDrive accompanied by deactivation of the cruise control. Additionally, the AM dial of the radio developed an occasional escalating high-pitched squeal when the brakes were depressed. The recent battery cable recall failed to correct the problem. After several months of researching the issue and consulting several mechanics I took the car into my local BMW technician. After 2 days in the shop I received the bad news. Apparently the vehicle developed an electrical short under the dashboard due to a wire on metal design flaw. The dash has to be completely removed and the wires repaired and replaced at a cost of $1,500+. I have been a committed BMW owner for 15 years and never encountered such a breach in quality and engineering. To say I am upset is an understatement. This design flaw is extremely troubling as it can lead to a host of electronic failures leading to potentially unsafe operation of the vehicle. BMW E90 owners beware.

YouTube Video:
_a_

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi! I know it’s been a long time since you made this post but did you ever get this fixed? If so what had to be replaced/repaired? My e70 got this error message yesterday while driving through many construction zones through Indiana.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts