Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! Trying to speed up my searches and reposting from another forum. Maybe any of you can help idenitify my problem, so my car is a bmw e39(obv) 523i 98' and I have been experiencing electrical issues. Few weeks ago I had a problem the car dying on me while driving and the voltage dropping so I changed(upgraded) my alternator from 90 to 140 A. The problem persisted then I went on to cleaning all of the car ground and power connections, but the problem did not go and silly me did not even realise the loose battery connector... After that the car was all ok, reinstalled my old alternator since it was good, but now it started acting up- my blinkers started blinking very quickly, changing the bulbs did not help, the next day-trailor light error on the dash without even having a hitch on the car and now the central lock doesnt even lock the front doors half of the time... What am I facing? :(

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I would do a search to see what options came on your car.

It might have come from the factory or retrofitted with the trailer hitch electrical option but not necessarily with the actual hitch attached or the original/previous owner took the hitch off but the electrical still remains.

https://bmweba.com/eba-01-29-9-410-772/amp/

I would start at least looking in the trunk and under the rear bumper in the areas that this guide describes.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would do a search to see what options came on your car.

It might have come from the factory or retrofitted with the trailer hitch electrical option but not necessarily with the actual hitch attached or the original/previous owner took the hitch off but the electrical still remains.

https://bmweba.com/eba-01-29-9-410-772/amp/

I would start at least looking in the trunk and under the rear bumper in the areas that this guide describes.
What should I really be looking for? The equiptment and if so cracked wires? Maybe I should start by checking if the control box is there in the first place, if it is not there theres no point in looking for anything?

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Maybe a code reader will provide some clues.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hi Edvinac, sounds like it could be a failing LCM (light control module).

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Bimmerfest

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hi Edvinac, sounds like it could be a failing LCM (light control module). This module will give false information to the instrument cluster when it starts to go. As for the locks, maybe you need to change the battery in you key fob.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts