Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me where this part is located? My repair shop wants to charge $1,000 for the part. When I look at it, it looks like it would take me 15 seconds to unplug the bad one and plug in the new one. Please help!!!

Part Number is 37146860385

·
Registered
2013 750i and 2015 740i
1,938 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Robin/Herb,

I appreciate the information. I honestly am not certain what the issue is. I had the right rear strut replaced but now the passengers side is extremely low while the drivers side is extremely high. Not sure if the compressor is bad or the EHC control unit.

Problem is repair shop doesnt seem to know either. They are recommending replacement of the compressor but are not certain it will fix the issue which means they would turn right around and recommend replacement of the EHC.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2013 750i and 2015 740i
1,938 Posts
I appreciate the information. I honestly am not certain what the issue is. I had the right rear strut replaced but now the passengers side is extremely low while the drivers side is extremely high. Not sure if the compressor is bad or the EHC control unit.
What was the original issue? It sounds like they replaced the strut and the new one is not filling, so all the air is going to the other side?

Problem is repair shop doesnt seem to know either. They are recommending replacement of the compressor but are not certain it will fix the issue which means they would turn right around and recommend replacement of the EHC.
I think the shop might not have replaced the strut correctly. Replacing the pump or control module should only be done with further diagnosis that actually indicates these components as being the issue.

You may want to get an ENET cable and setup ISTA if you want to try to troubleshoot the issue, or take it to another shop (or the dealer) for a second opinion.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1023698

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What was the original issue? It sounds like they replaced the strut and the new one is not filling, so all the air is going to the other side?

I think the shop might not have replaced the strut correctly. Replacing the pump or control module should only be done with further diagnosis that actually indicates these components as being the issue.

You may want to get an ENET cable and setup ISTA if you want to try to troubleshoot the issue, or take it to another shop (or the dealer) for a second opinion.

All BMWs - Ista+ download link - no request
Sorry for the delay, been waiting for the upgrade. Originally, the right rear strut failed and needed to be replaced. I know it was RR because that is where the vehicle began lowering. Pic 1 shows the space difference as compared to Pic 2. I use a reputable shop whose been in business for 30 years. They also sublet work to the local BMW dealership. I needed to have the right rear strut replaced in addition to having two oil coolant lines replaced, which is a 10 hour job. They did not have the time to do the work and sent it to BMW. BMW replaced the oil lines and the right rear strut.

Now the spacing on the drivers side is incredibly high (much higher than pic 3) and the height on the passenger side (Pic4) is lower and covers the top of the tire. BMW says it needs a new compressor because the check valve that runs the right side (passengers) of vehicle is bad. There are no codes. Control system is saying everything is working correctly. The non-bmw repair shop also stated it could be the ECH because the compressor was successfully sending air to the drivers side.

I wanted to avoid purchasing a compressor and ECH when it is more than likely one is bad and not both.

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 750i and 2015 740i
1,938 Posts
Now the spacing on the drivers side is incredibly high (much higher than pic 3) and the height on the passenger side (Pic4) is lower and covers the top of the tire. BMW says it needs a new compressor because the check valve that runs the right side (passengers) of vehicle is bad. There are no codes. Control system is saying everything is working correctly. The non-bmw repair shop also stated it could be the ECH because the compressor was successfully sending air to the drivers side.
If you look at the pump and the system components in the link below, you can see that there is a single discharge valve from the compressor to the valve block:

The most reasonable explanation I could think of is that either the valve for the passenger side is stuck closed, or something is telling it to stay closed.

If the valve is stuck, replacing the valve block should be sufficient to fix the issue, but it looks like BMW does not sell it separately from the compressor so the dealer is recommending replacement (I supposed you could use an aftermarket part or try to find an OEM equivalent, there appears to be a lot of generic parts available so beware of poor quality parts).

If something is incorrectly closing the valve, then it could be a bad control module or incorrect data. I would suggest running the ride height adjustment service function and checking the data from the ride height sensors first. If everything looks fine there, I would still start by replacing the valve block first as that's a ~10-year-old mechanical component, it has a much higher chance of being the issue than an electronic component that is responding to diagnosis and not reporting any faults.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again Robin,

I sincerely appreciate your assistance. You make excellent points about the mechanical issue versus the electronic component. However, I really am not all that sure BMWs OEM stuff is that much better than an equivalent. My car has less than 100k on it and it would take two pages for me to list the OEM components that have gone bad. At the end of the rope with this car. All the rumors I've heard about BMW being an acronym for Break My Wallet are appearing to be absolutely true! Going to get it running and sell it as quickly as I possibly can.

·
Registered
2013 750i and 2015 740i
1,938 Posts
However, I really am not all that sure BMWs OEM stuff is that much better than an equivalent. My car has less than 100k on it and it would take two pages for me to list the OEM components that have gone bad. At the end of the rope with this car. All the rumors I've heard about BMW being an acronym for Break My Wallet are appearing to be absolutely true! Going to get it running and sell it as quickly as I possibly can.
The main issue with aftermarket parts is the varying degree of quality, or lack thereof. Plenty of aftermarket parts are created specifically to solve common issues with OE parts, but knowing what's good and what's not isn't necessarily easy. I did a quick search on valve blocks and found a lot of generic cheap stuff, especially on Amazon, which was why I added that point.

Arnott makes a valve block and their retrofit air springs for Mercedes seems to be popular, so it might be a decent choice:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I understand the point you made. I was simply making the point that I have replaced a great deal of parts that came with the car (<100k) and judging by the posts on this forum alone, I am not the only one. I am quickly coming to the realization that BMWs are great if you are a mechanic and can save on the labor costs/hours, if it is under warranty or if you are leasing. Otherwise, these cars need to be viewed like a plague! When they are running, they are awesome! But oh my, when they are not.......

·
Registered
2013 750i and 2015 740i
1,938 Posts
I understand the point you made. I was simply making the point that I have replaced a great deal of parts that came with the car (<100k) and judging by the posts on this forum alone, I am not the only one. I am quickly coming to the realization that BMWs are great if you are a mechanic and can save on the labor costs/hours, if it is under warranty or if you are leasing. Otherwise, these cars need to be viewed like a plague! When they are running, they are awesome! But oh my, when they are not.......
It looks like you have a pre-LCI, is it a 750Li? Unfortunately, that's one of the most problematic engines BMW has made in recent years. With the increasing amount of technology that consumers demand, as well as emissions requirements, reliability is quickly becoming a thing of the past. Just look at how many brands have been having issues with CVT transmissions, how all manufacturers are going with smaller turbocharged direct-injected engines, and how 48V mild hybrid systems are becoming more common. All of these are going to be nightmares as the cars get older, and preventative maintenance is the best thing you can do to try to make things last.

If you think about how much you've spent on the car and then compared it to leasing, you'll see how much less expensive it is, as long as you don't mind having the latest tech. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It looks like you have a pre-LCI, is it a 750Li? Unfortunately, that's one of the most problematic engines BMW has made in recent years. With the increasing amount of technology that consumers demand, as well as emissions requirements, reliability is quickly becoming a thing of the past. Just look at how many brands have been having issues with CVT transmissions, how all manufacturers are going with smaller turbocharged direct-injected engines, and how 48V mild hybrid systems are becoming more common. All of these are going to be nightmares as the cars get older, and preventative maintenance is the best thing you can do to try to make things last.

If you think about how much you've spent on the car and then compared it to leasing, you'll see how much less expensive it is, as long as you don't mind having the latest tech. :)
I understand the point you make regarding the engine and do not necessarily disagree. I do not agree with the costs versus leasing argument at all. Repairs on these cars (not under warranty) far outweigh an additional couple hundred a month for the lease payment. These mechanics make more an hour than Ivy League Lawyers and surgeons. That said, we cannot limit the severity of my previous statements by merely suggesting this particular engine is problematic. This forum doesn't exist for all makes. There is a reason it exists for BMW. While they are definitely hugely impactful, my issues with this vehicle are not limited to engine components.

This thread is originally about the suspension. If I didn't have the means to acquire parts at a discount the estimate was as follows: 1). Replace strut $2000+ 2). Replace compressor $2500+ 3). Replace ECU (because they weren't entirely sure what the issue is) $1700. I took the car to the car wash and when the guy removed my floor mats to vacuum it somehow triggered the seat calibration warning light. So, the seat needs to be recalibrated b/c the airbag mechanism doesn't know where the seat is and this happened because he removed the damn floor mat (WTF?). This estimate was over $1400 to recalibrate a seat. The window shades either operate or they don't. The replacement motor for one is over $1,000. The ceiling liner is coming undone = ($1,000+). I could go on....

But to the engine components, luckily this vehicle has some sort of executive warranty something or another which saved my life when a recall happened that would have cost me $8,000+ to fix because they had to remove the entire engine from the vehicle and rebuild several parts. Most recently, a $250 engine oil coolant hose had a pinhole in it. The hose itself is not the issue. Because the car is "Overly-engineered", you can't access the hose without removing the entire front end of the vehicle which is approximately 10hrs of labor. I had them replace two hoses because I didn't want to endure the inevitable labor cost when the second one fails.

Brakes $1,600, Ignition coils $1,000+, etc., etc., etc. I have become a pseudo mechanic because of this car! If you are not experiencing these issues, I am happy for you. You are one of the lucky ones....for now. My gut tells me you will. Perhaps not the extent I have experienced but most certainly more than other makes.

When I see a 750 these days, my initial thought is that I need to make a list of all the things that WILL go wrong with this car, laminate it, and place it on the windshields as a PSA! Thank you for allowing me to have a soap box moment! Have a great day! :)

·
Registered
2013 750i and 2015 740i
1,938 Posts
I understand the point you make regarding the engine and do not necessarily disagree. I do not agree with the costs versus leasing argument at all. Repairs on these cars (not under warranty) far outweigh an additional couple hundred a month for the lease payment. These mechanics make more an hour than Ivy League Lawyers and surgeons. That said, we cannot limit the severity of my previous statements by merely suggesting this particular engine is problematic. This forum doesn't exist for all makes. There is a reason it exists for BMW. While they are definitely hugely impactful, my issues with this vehicle are not limited to engine components.
I think you're going to be looking at $1,200+/month to lease a 750i, not including additional insurance costs due to the newer vehicle, GAP insurance, or "value"-based license plate fees. Once depreciation gets to a certain point, it's fairly easy to get ahead if you keep the car long enough and if it's reasonably reliable.

There are forums out there for pretty much every make, but I see your point as to why forums for German brands tend to be more technical in nature. Part of that is also due to more mechanically-inclined owners, either out of necessity or hobby.

This thread is originally about the suspension. If I didn't have the means to acquire parts at a discount the estimate was as follows: 1). Replace strut $2000+ 2). Replace compressor $2500+ 3). Replace ECU (because they weren't entirely sure what the issue is) $1700.
Honestly, I think the shop is just guessing and throwing parts at the problem. This is a pitfall for many owners when it comes to repairs out of warranty because a lot of techs don't have enough brand-specific or model-specific knowledge about these cars or the right software to perform proper troubleshooting.

I took the car to the car wash and when the guy removed my floor mats to vacuum it somehow triggered the seat calibration warning light. So, the seat needs to be recalibrated b/c the airbag mechanism doesn't know where the seat is and this happened because he removed the damn floor mat (WTF?). This estimate was over $1400 to recalibrate a seat. The window shades either operate or they don't. The replacement motor for one is over $1,000. The ceiling liner is coming undone = ($1,000+). I could go on....
Again, just like the point above, I think this is a problem with the shop. Seat calibration is quite literally just adjusting the seat forwards and backwards to the end stops. The error happens if the seat had been adjusted a certain amount of times and the warning is triggered because the exact position may be slightly off. Yet another case of German over-engineering. :)

Here is the article on seat calibration:

I think your car has been exposed to a lot of heat if the headliner is coming loose. Excessive heat can cause plastics to become brittle, which may explain some of the problems in the engine bay and interior. I've never had a headliner come loose and my cars are garaged at home and at work, so heat related problems are generally not a problem with my cars (though that's mostly due to the climate here in the Pacific Northwest, but it wasn't a problem even when I was in CA).

Brakes $1,600, Ignition coils $1,000+, etc., etc., etc. I have become a pseudo mechanic because of this car! If you are not experiencing these issues, I am happy for you. You are one of the lucky ones....for now. My gut tells me you will. Perhaps not the extent I have experienced but most certainly more than other makes.
Sometimes independent shops will end up costing you more than the dealer if they don't know what they are doing, especially when it comes to newer cars if they lack the equipment and experience to diagnose and repair properly. When did you get the car?

I've actually got two of these cars and would say I'm at least somewhat familiar with the systems. I had a 2002 745i and 2011 750i previously, so the reason I settled on the LCI models was because of common issues that affected the pre-LCI models. Over time as I started to get more familiar with the electrical systems and ISTA, it has kept me away from the dealer for small issues or things that just needed a reset to fix. Excluding wear items or road damage, low battery voltage and computer glitches have been the vast majority of issues that I've had, which has led to my routine of charging the batteries every month.

When I see a 750 these days, my initial thought is that I need to make a list of all the things that WILL go wrong with this car, laminate it, and place it on the windshields as a PSA! Thank you for allowing me to have a soap box moment! Have a great day! :)
I think your experience would have been a lot better if you had gotten a 740i, or at least an LCI model. Owning a BMW with an N63 engine is not for the faint of heart.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think you're going to be looking at $1,200+/month to lease a 750i, not including additional insurance costs due to the newer vehicle, GAP insurance, or "value"-based license plate fees. Once depreciation gets to a certain point, it's fairly easy to get ahead if you keep the car long enough and if it's reasonably reliable.

There are forums out there for pretty much every make, but I see your point as to why forums for German brands tend to be more technical in nature. Part of that is also due to more mechanically-inclined owners, either out of necessity or hobby.

Honestly, I think the shop is just guessing and throwing parts at the problem. This is a pitfall for many owners when it comes to repairs out of warranty because a lot of techs don't have enough brand-specific or model-specific knowledge about these cars or the right software to perform proper troubleshooting.

Again, just like the point above, I think this is a problem with the shop. Seat calibration is quite literally just adjusting the seat forwards and backwards to the end stops. The error happens if the seat had been adjusted a certain amount of times and the warning is triggered because the exact position may be slightly off. Yet another case of German over-engineering. :)

Here is the article on seat calibration:

I think your car has been exposed to a lot of heat if the headliner is coming loose. Excessive heat can cause plastics to become brittle, which may explain some of the problems in the engine bay and interior. I've never had a headliner come loose and my cars are garaged at home and at work, so heat related problems are generally not a problem with my cars (though that's mostly due to the climate here in the Pacific Northwest, but it wasn't a problem even when I was in CA).

Sometimes independent shops will end up costing you more than the dealer if they don't know what they are doing, especially when it comes to newer cars if they lack the equipment and experience to diagnose and repair properly. When did you get the car?

I've actually got two of these cars and would say I'm at least somewhat familiar with the systems. I had a 2002 745i and 2011 750i previously, so the reason I settled on the LCI models was because of common issues that affected the pre-LCI models. Over time as I started to get more familiar with the electrical systems and ISTA, it has kept me away from the dealer for small issues or things that just needed a reset to fix. Excluding wear items or road damage, low battery voltage and computer glitches have been the vast majority of issues that I've had, which has led to my routine of charging the batteries every month.

I think your experience would have been a lot better if you had gotten a 740i, or at least an LCI model. Owning a BMW with an N63 engine is not for the faint of heart.
You may be right. Not arguing that at all. Merely circling back to my original point. The engine is not the beginning and/or end of my woes with this car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You may be right. Not arguing that at all. Merely circling back to my original point. The engine is not the beginning and/or end of my woes with this car.
I didnt see the entire thread and only originally replied to the last sentence. Re: the lease, I wasn't specifically talking about leasing a brand new 750LI. That is just foolish! :) Was speaking about leasing in general and having maintenance taken care of versus having to pay for the inevitable and costly repairs.

The techs in one scenario are BMW employees, the techs in the other scenario are BMW certified and have been working on BMWs for a total of 40 years, combined.

I understand the point you make re: headliner and do not disagree. Though the car is garaged, I live in Florida so heat is an issue. However, if it were that simple, then every car on the road would have a faulty headliner and they don't. Not even the cars that aren't garaged. So again, seems like we're back at the issue being more about BMW and less about climate.

It seems like you know a great deal about these cars. Like I said, I have learned to do a great deal of things on this car because of frequency of issues/regular maintenance and relative costs. I cannot argue with your experience at all. But to sum it up again, the issues I have with this vehicle (<100k) are not ONLY engine related. The seat calibration issue is a great example. You provided the solution to the problem but the fact that it occurred at all is my issue. The fact that the window shades don't operate is my issue. The fact that the headliner failed at all, is my issue. We expect things to go wrong. It's inevitable. The issue lies in the amount of things that go wrong and the overall frequency. I made a mistake with this purchase and as soon as I can get the suspension fixed, its gone!

I appreciate your assistance and experience. You have been hugely helpful and insightful.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Replacing the control unit looks fairly straightforward, but programming (if you have E-Sys, you can code the new unit) and initialization (if you have ISTA/D, you can initialize the system) is needed.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f02-750li-lim/repair-manuals/37-integrated-suspension-systems/37-00-integrated-suspension-system-in-general/1MIUoR9p

Hey Robin,

Hope all is well. I replaced the valve block and it now sends air to both sides of the vehicle. However, the rear is sitting relatively high on both sides. Do you think this is a programming issue?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Robin. I appreciate it. I will drive it around for 15 or so and see if that does it. Have a good day!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts