BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

What do you think about all the electronic systems in new generation cars?

• I like them. I'd like to see more in the future

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Don't like them, who needs all that stuff ?

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Some are neccessary, some are useless

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • I don't care

Votes: 1 5.3%
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think the new generation cars (not only BMW but in general) are stuffed too much with electronics ?

·
2001 M3:Stick, what else?
3,300 Posts
They are a great idea and I'm just as much of an electronics nut as the next guy. But, I actually like to keep my car as simple as possible.

Problem #1: Car Manufacturers charging far more than the general market for their (generally) inferior products. Look at the price of car Nav systems for instance. I can buy a top of the line Garmin with everything for half the money and I get to move it from car to car.

Problem #2: What happens when this stuff breaks? Worse, what happens when it breaks out of warranty? Yikes! A lot of the problems people encounter with the cars are the electronic stuff acting up.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
JPinTO said:
They are a great idea and I'm just as much of an electronics nut as the next guy. But, I actually like to keep my car as simple as possible.

Problem #1: Car Manufacturers charging far more than the general market for their (generally) inferior products. Look at the price of car Nav systems for instance. I can buy a top of the line Garmin with everything for half the money and I get to move it from car to car.

Problem #2: What happens when this stuff breaks? Worse, what happens when it breaks out of warranty? Yikes! A lot of the problems people encounter with the cars are the electronic stuff acting up.
There's another twist. Some month ago, when I was at a car show in Boston, I sat in the S-Class Benz. Beautiful car - but man, I've never seen so many buttons and electronics. If you're technically minded, then those can be seen as "toys". But to the technically challenged - all that crap is overwhelming.

Example: my father bought an E430 a few years back. The car came with a hardcover BOOK on all the features. For the first 3 weeks he owned it, I had to go to his house at least once a week to reset the seats, mirrors, radio and climate control. after that, he slowly got the hang of it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.