BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello!
So i will get right to the case! About a month ago i got stuck in big puddle,right side carpets all was wet. I got out from the puddle,drived home,no problems,all was working,all was good!
in next morning,i get in car,start it and have "self leveling susp.inact." not working air condicioner,and central locking not locking the doors when i drive above 20 km/h (but with the consule button is working) and rain sensor isn,t working,and when i try to connect to INPA i got error (cant connect to module,any of them wich controls unit who have errors). Ok i understand the water is guilty,i took my seats out,lift the carpet up and dryed all the floor,all the floor mats,all the cables,all the ground block pads,and the fuse box in the passanger side,no watter at all,definetley sure about it!
next day i put it the carpet,put seats in the car,and wollaa problem is gone! no errors,all is working,connect the INPA all modules is found,no errors in them,all is good!
So i drove happy one week and one time had that error again,but switched off ignition,tried again,and its gone,all working!
But now,after one month we have verry hot weather here in Latvia,about +33 and big humidity in air...and damn,the error appeared again,and wont go out,no A/C no door locking and "selflevel susp.inactive" ,and one more thing,while that error is active,the instrument cluster is verry glitchy,and slow,like i swich fog lamps,the simbol appears only after 3 secs,and sometimes i got "dong" after switching ignition out about the errors,sometimes its silent and wont show what errors i had when the ignition was on.
And now i m thiking whats the problem,maybe the big puddle was only coincidence,and i m searching the problem where its not at all!? Maybe LCM or other module is doing all this,maybe instrument cluster?
And final thing,can that be because i didnt screw the screws from ground blocks under carpet and didnt clear them with sand papper or something like that? Can this be the reason of that error appearance?
Please guys help me,because right now i m searching the needle in haystack!
Car is 2000 BMW e39 530Da Touring

·
Registered
5,550 Posts

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
One more note. Once you find the module that's causing the problem, check its ground and supply. The module might be perfect but only its grounding or power is failing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did not find witch module is guilty,but i know one thing for sure,i took out again the floor carpet,and cleaned all the groundings under the floor,i found three of them on drivers side,on passenger side didnt see any. Then i cleared in egine bay all groundings,and in the boot,i found on right side two of them,and of left side one.
The error was gone only one time yesterday..i can say its constantly ON.
And another thing,where the error is active,seat hiting too are not working.
i took out LCM ,it was all dry,visualy ok.

So the door auto locking at 20km/h speed,A/C ,seat heating,rain sensor,"self level inactive" on display and instrumetnt cluster responds verrrrry slow,and radio reception is poor...this all is when error is effective :D when its gone,all works just fine!
Any sugestions where i can look next?

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Intermittent failing ignition switch caused by "short" of the water to the fuses?
Try having the car started (on), turn on the passenger vanity light and see if the symptoms either occur or get worse.
Not sure about this as normally the symptoms aren't this bad, only a small subset of th ones presented.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the errors could appear while i m driveing too,like i drive car and a/c stop working,seat heater stop working,only thing that not apears while i driveing is "selflevel susp,inactive." But this not hapening very often,almoust all times the errors is at the start,when i switch iginiton on..about after 4 sec they apears.
Today i drove half day,and was no problems,then i turned off car..go in market,came back and wollaa they are back! :D
Will try the light method.

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
You already checked the connections and grounding... Only other thing I can target right now is the actual power distribution fuses under the floor. Maybe one or more is possibly blown but still allowing current? Fuses shouldn't work like that but there are some odd ball things on the vehicle...
Otherwise the module testing proposed by acoste is the way to go.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The fuse box on passenger side is cleaned and dryed and sprayed with contact cleaner,and visualy all seemed to be ok :/

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Do you have a digital multimeter?

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
The fuse box on passenger side is cleaned and dryed and sprayed with contact cleaner,and visualy all seemed to be ok :/
You need to check fuses etc, with a meter. They can look like they work, but when tested fail. Light bulbs are the same, had one a couple of weeks ago, kept getting bulb out, but they all looked good when I took them out and looked at them. However when connected to a meter one wasn't working.

Jim

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
But if the fuse is blown,how can it work right now? About 3 days i have no errors,i put my debt on weather,its not very hot right now....but when it will be +30c ,the errors will appear again :/

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
The fuse being blown should stop operation of the supported elements but there are enough switches, relays, and other connections that the power can still get through albeit partially. So maybe there is a blown "secondary" distribution fuse or :dunno: the temperature dependency certainly points to a voltage drop (corrosion in wiring), fuse issues, or grounds. At least from my view... I would definitively rule out fuses by multimeter testing before proceeding to the modules.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts