BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
25k model 3

More news from Tesla regarding the smaller, more affordable Model 3. The Model 3 could end up being even more affordable than previously thought.

"We can confirm it's $35,000 before incentives," a Tesla spokeswoman, Khobi Brooklyn, told Bloomberg.
This is pretty crazy, since depending on where you are, incentive can cut nearly $10k off the purchase price. There is a federal income tax credit, available to all buyers, that's good for $7500. Over a dozen states offer additional incentives. California, Massachusetts and Tennessee get an extra $2500, Colorado a whopping $6000. That puts the Model 3 in the mid-high $20k range!

The average new car costs about $31,000, according to an analysis by Salim Morsy of Bloomberg New Energy Finance. Almost all the mass-market vehicles sold above that price threshold are SUVs and trucks. There's only one car comparable in size to the Model 3 that amasses more than 100,000 in annual sales with a $35,000 price tag: the BMW 3 Series.
There's a small problem with the $25k Tesla though, well it's really with the federal incentive.

It is designed to help ease carmakers into the electric market. The credit is applied to the first 200,000 electric sales for each new manufacturer; then the value of the incentive slowly fades to zero over about a year and a half.

Tesla is on track to reach its 200,000th sale around the middle of 2018.5 If Model 3 deliveries don't start until the end of 2018, and a higher-priced Signature Series soaks up the incentives for 2019, then by the time a "mass-market" buyer gets a shot at a lower-priced Model 3, the incentives could be gone.
We'll see if Tesla can get production of the Model 3 started early next year. They are usually behind, so, maybe don't hold your breath.

Source Bloomberg

·
Registered
17 Posts
According to Musk the Model 3 will be 20% smaller than the Model S. That's way smaller than a 3 series and if it's meant literally will be smaller than a 2 series so I'm not sure I understand that mans quote.

Much like the base price 228, CLA, S3 I'm sure they will be seldom seen and downright unlikable in stripped guise.

·
Registered
13,450 Posts
Tesla is encountering strong headwinds, primarily from plummeting oil prices plus weak China demands. Hopefully there is enough momentum to get Model 3 to market. For sure a $25k Model 3 with 250-mile range can be quite appealing.

·
IntarWeb Stalker
10,180 Posts
Range?

·
Registered
289 Posts
If I can get a similarly specced model for the same/cheaper than my 4 series when my lease ends in 2 years, I may end up ordering one. Heck, if I can maintain the same monthly payments I may dump my lease early if the model 3 ends up having some cool features. Living in colorado, even if the car ended up being the same price my 4 was, it'd still be drastically cheaper with the incentives. Autopilot would almost be a must for me to consider moving brands though.

·
IntarWeb Stalker
10,180 Posts
What about size? It looks like it will be smaller than the current 3. Some prefer that....do you?

·
Registered
289 Posts
What about size? It looks like it will be smaller than the current 3. Some prefer that....do you?
Me? I doubt it'll be dramatically different in size considering the 3 series is going to be the model 3's direct competition, but if it is a few inches shorter that'd be fine with me. My last two cars were a b6 and b7 A4 cabriolet and I miss how much smaller they felt.

·
Registered
10,766 Posts
Even if it was the size of an Audi A3 I'd be cool with it. I'm guessing it will be somewhere in between an A3 and an A4/3 series in size.

But:
-Will the base model really have a 250 mile range? Seems unlikely.
-I wouldn't want a first year version, and its successful they'll no longer qualify for the federal tax credit by the 2nd year.

Anyway, I'm cautiously optimistic. If I could really buy one that goes 250 miles with decent performance (maybe 0-60 in 7 secs) for 25k I'd probably jump a it.

·
2020 Z4 M40i
4,636 Posts
Even if it was the size of an Audi A3 I'd be cool with it. I'm guessing it will be somewhere in between an A3 and an A4/3 series in size.

But:
-Will the base model really have a 250 mile range? Seems unlikely.
-I wouldn't want a first year version, and its successful they'll no longer qualify for the federal tax credit by the 2nd year.

Anyway, I'm cautiously optimistic. If I could really buy one that goes 250 miles with decent performance (maybe 0-60 in 7 secs) for 25k I'd probably jump a it.
Why not just buy a CIVIC & not be tethered by wire or hung up with charge times?

·
Registered
289 Posts
I think it'd be hard to put a deposit down on this car without knowing about when it is going to be available. There are reports claiming Q4 of 2017, some saying Q3 of 2018, and so on. For a lot of people with leases, myself included, it wouldn't be feasible to order this car, knowing Tesla's history of delays.

·
You Don't Need to Know
3,120 Posts
I think the appeal of a inexpensive non vanity short range electric is directly proportional to the price of gas. As gas gets cheaper the appeal lessens. The Nissan LEAF peaked at 3000 a month & is now down to 1000 a month.
I wonder, though, if the fact that there is absolutely nothing cool about a Leaf has anything to do with this. I'm not sure if it can be quantified, but I'm sure there will be plenty of interested buyers just to say that they own a Tesla. It's really not unlike a base A3, CLA or 320i--there are always going to be customers primarily for the badge. Not so for the Leaf.

·
Registered
10,766 Posts
I wonder, though, if the fact that there is absolutely nothing cool about a Leaf has anything to do with this. I'm not sure if it can be quantified, but I'm sure there will be plenty of interested buyers just to say that they own a Tesla. It's really not unlike a base A3, CLA or 320i--there are always going to be customers primarily for the badge. Not so for the Leaf.
Yep. Certainly for model s buyers, cost savings on fuel isn't the primary (or even one of the top 5) motivators. If you make a cheap, ugly but fuel efficient car (such as the leaf or Honda Fit) you'll attract people who do primarily care about that. But like Mercedes and BMW buyers, tesla model 3 buyers will likely buy for style, image, tech, the way it drives, tesla brand image, etc

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.