Bimmerfest BMW banner

61 - 80 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Pretty amazing that the General Automotive Forum has a dedicated troll thread here.
Whatever does it for you guys... But you do realize this has nothing to do with "automotive".

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Pretty amazing that the General Automotive Forum has a dedicated troll thread here.
Whatever does it for you guys... But you do realize this has nothing to do with "automotive".
Newsflash, everyone... Tesla is no longer considered to be an "automotive" company, according to st_o_p.

Where did you read this? In one of Elon's tweets?

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Newsflash, everyone... Tesla is no longer considered to be an "automotive" company, according to st_o_p.

Where did you read this? In one of Elon's tweets?
Well - I'm not a paid troll so I don't read Elon tweets and repost them on forums. I'm sure whatever he called some scuba diver has nothing to do with cars...

I do drive my Tesla and enjoy it - regardless of who posts what though :thumbup:

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Well - I'm not a paid troll so I don't read Elon tweets and repost them on forums. I'm sure whatever he called some scuba diver has nothing to do with cars...

I do drive my Tesla and enjoy it - regardless of who posts what though :thumbup:
Dude, you're complaining about one post out of the many I've made in this thread, which I started just to poke a little fun at Elon and his wondercars.

And if you're a happy Tesla owner, as you claim, I guess I'm wondering why you bothered to stick your head into a thread like this in the first place? It's not as though the title doesn't let you know what you're in for. If you're looking for a place where Tesla owners let everyone on BIMMERFEST know how awesome their battery-powered spaceships are, we've got a thread for that too. Maybe you got lost on your way there? ;)

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Surprise, surprise...another Tesla selling point turns out to be less than spectacular once you get the car out in the real world...

https://jalopnik.com/people-using-teslas-new-smart-summon-feature-are-alread-1838593877

My fave comment to this article:
Tesla’s marketing is full of conflicting statements. Elon wants to promise the moon but the legal department has to step in and make it clear that you are only getting a picture of the moon and not the actual moon.
Meanwhile, Elon's Tweets continue to get him in hot water...

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tesla-labor/u-s-labor-judge-rules-that-tesla-broke-labor-law-idUSKBN1WD003

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #66

·
Registered
12,371 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
Uh oh...

https://gizmodo.com/flash-memory-on-some-tesla-cars-is-reportedly-burning-o-1839084282

Hope no one here waxing rhapsodic about their SuperMagicWonderCar™ ends up with a brick sitting in their garage around the 4-year point of ownership.

But don't worry...it's only an $1800 repair. :yikes:
How about BMW F30 owners from the first few years with obsolete iDrive software that can't be upgraded due to the limits of the newer hardware? Thousands of dollars to upgrade if it's even possible. Point is Tesla is not the only company to have electronic issues.

·
Registered
12,371 Posts
How about BMW F30 owners from the first few years with obsolete iDrive software that can't be upgraded due to the limits of the newer hardware? Thousands of dollars to upgrade if it's even possible. Point is Tesla is not the only company to have electronic issues.
My 2013 F30 iDrive hardware+software still works even it cannot be upgraded.

But this Tesla flash memory wearing out means system down, it is a much bigger problem than no upgrade.

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
My 2013 F30 iDrive hardware+software still works even it cannot be upgraded.

But this Tesla flash memory wearing out means system down, it is a much bigger problem than no upgrade.
Agree. The unanswered question is the frequency which is not addressed in the Gizmodo article. I would hope that Tesla steps up and replaces the boards for free and does disable the system log which is eating up the storage space.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
How about BMW F30 owners from the first few years with obsolete iDrive software that can't be upgraded due to the limits of the newer hardware?
Oh, I don't know...does that "obsolete" iDrive software keep those F30 owners from driving their cars?

As usual, the amount of water-carrying for Tesla by a few people around here is absurd. Whataboutism isn't an excuse for poor engineering.

·
Registered
12,371 Posts
Agree. The unanswered question is the frequency which is not addressed in the Gizmodo article. I would hope that Tesla steps up and replaces the boards for free and does disable the system log which is eating up the storage space.
There are different types of flashes with different endurance but in general flash does wear out with lots of writes/storing data, so the failure frequency/rate is 100% when the spec'ed number of write is reached.

The other issue is that Tesla probably relies on those extensive logs for diagnostics and tuning BMS and such, plus OTA upload back to Tesla for further analysis, so it is part of their whole system architecture.

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
Oh, I don't know...does that "obsolete" iDrive software keep those F30 owners from driving their cars?

As usual, the amount of water-carrying for Tesla by a few people around here is absurd. Whataboutism isn't an excuse for poor engineering.
Not meant to be an equivalency in that way. The cost of the fix is the point. No you’re not required to update the hardware. But if you want an equivalent, how many F30’s have eaten their engines due to the tensioner failing? We don’t have a clue as to how many Tesla’s have the storage issue but we do know that a new N20 engine is far more than $1800.00.

·
Registered
12,371 Posts
Not meant to be an equivalency in that way. The cost of the fix is the point. No you're not required to update the hardware. But if you want an equivalent, how many F30's have eaten their engines due to the tensioner failing? We don't have a clue as to how many Tesla's have the storage issue but we do know that a new N20 engine is far more than $1800.00.
If F30 timing chain issue is caught early, it is parts(timing chains, guide rails, oil chain assembly, tensioner, no oil pump) + labor around $1600-$2000 total at local trusted indies. It may not be bad idea to do "preemptive" maintenance on it.

One system board + flash for $1800 is quite expensive.

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
If F30 timing chain issue is caught early, it is parts(timing chains, guide rails, oil chain assembly, tensioner, no oil pump) + labor around $1600-$2000 total at local trusted indies. It may not be bad idea to do "preemptive" maintenance on it.

One system board + flash for $1800 is quite expensive.
All true. The point is we know from here and Bimmerpost at minimum that there are a number of owners that lost engines to failed timing chains. In a perfect world both Tesla and BMW would step up and fix the issues gratis.

·
Registered
12,371 Posts
All true. The point is we know from here and Bimmerpost at minimum that there are a number of owners that lost engines to failed timing chains. In a perfect world both Tesla and BMW would step up and fix the issues gratis.
Correct, and consumers/customers really need to be honest with themselves in order to keep these manufacturers accountable and honest.

And it is not just Tesla or BMW, e.g. owners got hit by Honda Earth Dream DI 1.5L turbo engine with oil dilution problem on 2016-2018 Civic/CRV. Honda did issue a recall but does not address the possible engine damage concern(diluted oil has reduced viscosity).

·
Registered
12,371 Posts
But if you want an equivalent, how many F30’s have eaten their engines due to the tensioner failing?
If BMW can definitively say timing chain tensioner can fix the problem, it will a $60 DIY or $150 indy fix. The issue is that even if tensioner is fixed, there can be existing damage to plastic rails, chains, and engine that cannot be diagnosed without taking VCG and oil pan off, and those are lots of shop hours.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #78 (Edited)
So Elon unveiled his new WonderTruck™ with magical unbreakable "metal glass" windows.

It went about as well as you would expect...

Whoops.

The market is reacting about as well as the glass to what some have dubbed "The New Pontiac Aztek", Tesla shares are down 6% on a up day for the overall market.

I saw the truck's design best summed up in a comment on Imgur:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #79

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Now Tesla is just yanking features off pre-owned cars if they feel they've got valid reason...

https://jalopnik.com/tesla-remotely-removes-autopilot-features-from-customer-1841472617

Wonder if this will spark a "coding" market for used Teslas where people can hack their cars and add features that were either removed by one of the company's "updates" or never on the cars to begin with?

Overall, it sounds like a great ownership experience. Two thumbs up! :thumbup::thumbup:

61 - 80 of 116 Posts