Bimmerfest BMW banner

81 - 100 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
12,356 Posts
Now Tesla is just yanking features off pre-owned cars if they feel they've got valid reason...

https://jalopnik.com/tesla-remotely-removes-autopilot-features-from-customer-1841472617

Wonder if this will spark a "coding" market for used Teslas where people can hack their cars and add features that were either removed by one of the company's "updates" or never on the cars to begin with?

Overall, it sounds like a great ownership experience. Two thumbs up! :thumbup::thumbup:
The car is supposed to be auctioned, and later sold, as-is, correct? If so it will not make sense Tesla can delete feature OTA.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
What happens when a performance car company decides to build an electric car?

·
Registered
12,356 Posts
So this graph (if factual) shows that a Model S performance will become a regular Model S(at significant savings) after 5 runs 0-60. Is there a similar test for Model 3 Performance?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
So this graph (if factual) shows that a Model S performance will become a regular Model S(at significant savings) after 5 runs 0-60. Is there a similar test for Model 3 Performance?
No reason to doubt C&D testing, which shows that after just 2 runs, a Model S Performance will become roughly the equivalent of my 440i in terms of 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. After 3 runs, I'd be able to trounce the Tesla. :thumbup:

·
Swedish Murder Machine
4,387 Posts
Now you need to add price and range to the graph. The Tesla costs $50,000 less than the Porsche and the Porsche has a 200 mile range compared to a range of 300 miles on the Tesla.

The Taycan looks like an amazing car but is much more of the "technology toy" that you guys constantly accuse all Teslas of being.

·
Swedish Murder Machine
4,387 Posts
No reason to doubt C&D testing, which shows that after just 2 runs, a Model S Performance will become roughly the equivalent of my 440i in terms of 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. After 3 runs, I'd be able to trounce the Tesla. :thumbup:
Ya because that's how people actually drive their cars.... doing back to back high speed runs.

99% of people who own even performance versions of these cars couldn't care less about this kind of "driving".

If you like to hang out at the drag strip then sure, this test is really really vindicating.

·
Registered
12,356 Posts
Ya because that's how people actually drive their cars.... doing back to back high speed runs.

99% of people who own even performance versions of these cars couldn't care less about this kind of "driving".

If you like to hang out at the drag strip then sure, this test is really really vindicating.
My thinking is that the (battery cooling) tech in Porsche is not just for drag strip driving, it can also extend battery life.

Having said that, Porsche probably also plays some tricks by sandbagging the range, and use the extra head room to booster its back-to-back launch spec.

·
Swedish Murder Machine
4,387 Posts
My thinking is that the (battery cooling) tech in Porsche is not just for drag strip driving, it can also extend battery life.

Having said that, Porsche probably also plays some tricks by sandbagging the range, and use the extra head room to booster its back-to-back launch spec.
I am highly skeptical that Porsche's approach is going to extend the life of the battery, the focus definitely appears to be focused on performance and I imagine Tesla will do something very similar on the next generation roadster.

I doubt Porsche has sandbagged the vehicle range. It's easy to prove that by looking at EPA and other battery efficiency tests that regulatory agencies require. If the performance indicates the Taycan should have much higher range then sure, they might be sandbagging it similar to what Tesla did with Model 3 EPA #s vs their claimed range.

The Taycan looks like an amazing car and most of the people driving it aren't going to be obsessing about the range since this is a performance car that would typically be driven fairly short distances.

Where Taycan owners might start to hit a point of frustration, at least in the US, is the lack of high speed charging infrastructure for it.

Having said all of that if I was in the market for a no holds barred, damn the price performance car the Taycan would absolutely be on my short list.

It still isn't in the same class as the Tesla Model S. The Model S competes with cars like BMW 5 series, Audi A6, etc. The Taycan is basically a pure sports car that happens to have 4 doors, closest thing to it is probably an Audi RS7.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #89

But, but...all I've heard from Tesla fanbois for the last few years is MUHZEROTOSIXTYBRO!

Now you're telling me that this isn't going to be a bragging point for Muskovites any longer? That all you people are going to be boasting about going forward is your big, long...range?

Yeah...I'll believe that when I start seeing it. :rolleyes:

·
Swedish Murder Machine
4,387 Posts
But, but...all I've heard from Tesla fanbois for the last few years is MUHZEROTOSIXTYBRO!

Now you're telling me that this isn't going to be a bragging point for Muskovites any longer? That all you people are going to be boasting about going forward is your big, long...range?

Yeah...I'll believe that when I start seeing it. :rolleyes:
No, you found one gas car that is faster than an electric car and you are dancing around like you scored a touchdown.

Cars aren't in same category.
Cars aren't even close to same price.

But hey they're both "cars" right :rolleyes:? I'm surprised you didn't already do this comparison between a performance S and a drag car.

Try comparing apples to apples.

Like BMW 340i or 440i to Tesla Model 3 dual motor... then you can celebrate that after multiple back to back high speed runs the BMW is almost as fast as the Tesla.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #91 (Edited)
No, you found one gas car that is faster than an electric car and you are dancing around like you scored a touchdown.

Cars aren't in same category.
Cars aren't even close to same price.

But hey they're both "cars" right :rolleyes:? I'm surprised you didn't already do this comparison between a performance S and a drag car.

Try comparing apples to apples.

Like BMW 340i or 440i to Tesla Model 3 dual motor... then you can celebrate that after multiple back to back high speed runs the BMW is almost as fast as the Tesla.
No one is "celebrating" anything (boy, you Muskovites are as defensive and touchy as ever!), but way to neatly avoid my question...

...oh and for someone who just downplayed the idea of Teslas as blazing rockets of straight-line speed (for a couple of pulls, at least), here you are again, boasting about straight-line speed. Thanks for proving my point.

If Elon stans didn't have double-standards, they'd have no standards at all. :tsk:

·
Registered
538 Posts
I***8217;ve driven BMW***8217;s for years and really enjoy driving them, but my wife has a used tesla model s and it is an unbelievable car. I still love my 535i but the tesla is the coolest most fun car to drive in my opinion. All the guys here that are bashing Tesla***8217;s have no idea of how nice of a car they really are and probably most have never driven one. Once you***8217;ve owned one for a while you would understand why so many love them so much. I hate to break it to you haters but tesla is now the ultimate driving machine.

·
Swedish Murder Machine
4,387 Posts
I've driven BMW's for years and really enjoy driving them, but my wife has a used tesla model s and it is an unbelievable car. I still love my 535i but the tesla is the coolest most fun car to drive in my opinion. All the guys here that are bashing Tesla's have no idea of how nice of a car they really are and probably most have never driven one. Once you've owned one for a while you would understand why so many love them so much. I hate to break it to you haters but tesla is now the ultimate driving machine.
Exactly.

The same people who have bashed on the limited range of an electric vehicle for the past 18 months all of a sudden decided that now that Porsche makes an EV the limited range doesn't matter so much.

What it really boils down to is not necessarily a hatred of EVs (although there is some of that) what it's really about is loathing Tesla as a company, their tree-hugging mission statement and their obnoxious CEO.

If BMW enthusiasts walked up to a Tesla Model 3 performance and it had a BMW badge on it and they drove it for an hour they would never shut up about it.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Exactly.

The same people who have bashed on the limited range of an electric vehicle for the past 18 months all of a sudden decided that now that Porsche makes an EV the limited range doesn't matter so much.

What it really boils down to is not necessarily a hatred of EVs (although there is some of that) what it's really about is loathing Tesla as a company, their tree-hugging mission statement and their obnoxious CEO.

If BMW enthusiasts walked up to a Tesla Model 3 performance and it had a BMW badge on it and they drove it for an hour they would never shut up about it.

Very true there is a lot of hate for Tesla and Elon and I really don’t get it. The hate should be for the other auto manufacturers and politicians that have been holding back on making electric vehicles for years. How does a company like Tesla come out of nowhere and make an excellent electric car while the other auto makers which have been producing vehicles for a hundred years but have not come close to making a good EV?

The wife and I have been driving BMW’s for almost 20 years and we have been very happy with them. But my wife has now had her Tesla model S for 7 months now and she absolutely loves it and so do I. She says she will only drive a Tesla from now on. She drives a lot and was spending $300 a month on gas, now it costs $100 a month for the added electricity used

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
If BMW enthusiasts walked up to a Tesla Model 3 performance and it had a BMW badge on it...
I'd say, "Damn, that's one ugly BMW!" :rofl:

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #97

·
Registered
12,356 Posts
From previous stats posted on the other Tesla thread, a big chunk of Tesla/Model 3 owners switch from BMW. It surely looks like some of these previous BMW owners do not stop talking about their current Tesla. :p

My guess is this same crowd will be the one that cannot stop talking about future BMW EV too.:)

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
From previous stats posted on the other Tesla thread, a big chunk of Tesla/Model 3 owners switch from BMW. It surely looks like some of these previous BMW owners do not stop talking about their current Tesla. :p

My guess is this same crowd will be the one that cannot stop talking about future BMW EV too.:)
I believe that these threads on Tesla are actually being kept going more by the haters and trolls than the raving owners.:dunno: We don't need to post constantly about it - people post once how happy they are and then go along with their lives. Haters on the other hand keep posting - and getting some responses.

·
Registered
12,356 Posts
I believe that these threads on Tesla are actually being kept going more by the haters and trolls than the raving owners.:dunno: We don't need to post constantly about it - people post once how happy they are and then go along with their lives. Haters on the other hand keep posting - and getting some responses.
There is some truth in your assertions. At the same time a Tesla thread on bimmerfest(just like any thread in any online forum) can be also a way to communicate and discuss topics of mutual interest, specifically topics that don't show up/are not welcomed on Tesla forums.

81 - 100 of 116 Posts